Profile for Tony C > Reviews

Content by Tony C

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Tony C (United Kingdom)

Dreamsville
Dreamsville
Price: CDN$ 20.93
19 used & new from CDN$ 8.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice., Aug. 26 2001
This review is from: Dreamsville (Audio CD)
I feel I must respond to the review by Mr Leroy James of New York city. First off, I don't quite see how the British are somehow meant to be less discerning than American and "international" audiences. The British jazz market is very discerning, certainly no less so than over the Atlantic. The British jazz market is smaller but if anything that tends to make it even more discerning. Many jazz musicians now find they are receiving a far better and more knowledgable reception over here than in America and there is generally a lively interest heavyweight jazz of the non-soft variety, both American and European. As for Kenny G, well I think Mr James will discover that lovers of Kenny G exist the world over! For some reason. Secondly, far from having no understanding of jazz, Stacey Kent presents a lucid and intelligent jazz programme on British radio. Third off, I can't stand Kenny G and I love Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, I've sold my own grandmother to see Dave Holland live, but I also happen to think Stacey Kent is pretty good too! Far from being a "little girl lost" type, having seen her live, she comes over both as being remarkably feisty and amusing and also as being deeply committed to the music she sings. And she works a crowd well too. True, the style is very different to Ella Fitzgerald or Dinah Washington or even Cassandra Wilson but I don't think it suffers for all that. Dreamsville is a ballads album, so if numbers with a little more pace are your thing you may want to try one of Stacey Kent's other albums first.