Profile for Happy > Reviews

Content by Happy

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Happy

Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera (Blue) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars 720p at 60 frames a second...nuff said., Jan. 17 2012
I got this HD video camera last year before going on vacation. I did plenty of recording with it during that time (60+ gb's worth of videos over 2 weeks). Here are the main reasons (imo) why someone should get this camera over any of the other hd cams out there (and that includes the Go Pro series, the Flip, and others like it).

1. Price. I paid $114 +tax (w/free shipping) when it was on sale last year. I have seen it as low as $99 +tax since then.

2. The ability of the Playsport to record HD videos at 720p/60 frames a second (it can also do 1080/30 frames), but at 720p/60 you'll get buttery smooth videos. The other HD cams I mentioned are only able to do upto 720p at 30 frames a second (which the Playsport can also do), but at that setting you will sometimes get a stuttered video look during fast pans. The 720p/60 setting does take up more memory on the SDHC card, but it's worth it once you see the video quality on a big screen tv.

3. The ability to change the battery when it gets low/depleted. I bought 2 extra batters with a charger from ebay for under $15. This allowed me to go all day (sometimes 2 days) without the need to put the camera into charge mode (which would mean I'd have to wait about an hour or so before the battery was recharged before I could use it again... like you'd have to do with those other HD cameras). Note: A fully charged battery will give you between 45-60 minutes of recording time depending if you use the zoom or not. I would highly suggest that you not use the zoom, because the video quality does suffer as you zoom in/out.

4. It has mini HDMI and USB ports on it so it makes it easier to hook the camera up to an HD tv or computer for file playback and/or transfers.

5. It takes SDHC cards (and not built in memory like some cameras do). Just make sure you buy a 6x speed card (or faster) for the best recording/playback results.

One word of warning though... you have to make sure the rubber seals on the doors are free from any dirt/dust/hairs. If you don't make sure they are clean, you may run the risk of water getting in to the case as you use it under water.

I would also suggest that user get a cut to fit screen protection film, because the screen on the playsport can scratch easily.

The only negative I came across during use, was the water/mic problem that some other users have mentioned. Since the mic has a small piece of plastic over it to help protect it, that same piece of plastic helps keep water next to the mic even when you pull the camera out of the water. I found that I would have to blow on that area to help clear the water out. Not doing so could result in a "muddy" sound when the camera comes out of the water while recording video. Under water was no problems though. I finally solved that water/mic issue by putting a bit of scotch tape over the mic opening. The tape helped keep the water out during shallow dives, and allowed the mic to do it's job in and out of the water while the camera was recording video. :)

As for the max depth rating (10 feet as stated from Kodak), I was able to get down to 25 feet. Please note that at that depth, the buttons on the camera did not work very well (it was probbaly due to the water pressure the camera was under).

My final verdict: The Playsport is an affordable HD video camera that (imo) easily out classes other HD video camera in it's price range. Check out youtube video for video quality.

PS. I also bought a fish-eye lens for the Playsport ($15 from ebay). It works great. Just make sure you buy the 180 degree version (not the 170).

Defender Case for iPod 4G 4th Generation (Black on Black)
Defender Case for iPod 4G 4th Generation (Black on Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Otterbox copycat case., Jan. 9 2012
I've had a few different cases for my 4g ipod over the past year. All of them have had their good and bad points.... and the bad points made me want to find a better case. I really wanted an Otterbox for my 4g ipod, but couldn't justify spending upwards of $40+ for it in a retail store. So I went to Amazon and found this look-a-like.

The GOOD:

1. The plastic case pieces fit quite well for a copycat case. Yes, it does take some gentle pressure to make sure the back cover fits into and snaps together with the front half, but that just means the ipod won't be moving around inside the case while I use it.

2. The rubber skin feels pretty good when holding it. It also has small rubber tabs to help hold the skin in place. These are not the square PLASTIC tabs you see in the pictures above, but smaller hidden RUBBER tabs molded into the skin. The rubber tabs fit into the plastic squares to help "lock" the skin in place.

3. The dust covers for the ear and power jacks fit quite well once they are wiggled into place.

The Bad:

1. It's not built as well as an Otterbox, but it's still a quality case imo.

2. The screen protector built into the front half of the case works very well (almost as if it wasn't there), but the tell tale signs of that old "oil slick" look started to show up almost immediately between the ipod's screen and the case's clear screen protector. I even tried using Windex and newspaper like I've seen some people use on some youtube videos, but after a few hours of use it still came back. The next thing I'm going to try is an additional matte (anti-glare) screen protector on my ipod's screen. Hopefully that will help stop the "oil slick" look from appearing.

3. You cam NOT use an aftermarket home/car charger or headphones with this case. The holes that are molded into the bottom of the case are too small. It will only allow the factory Apple charging USB cable and headphones to fit in there. That also means this case will not allow you to use any aftermarket docking station/speaker system either (unless of course you remove the ipod from the case). :(

4. The clear retail box (as seen in the above picture) is NOT included with this case. I got mine in a small padded envelop with the case and belt clip placed inside a plastic zip-lock bag. That's not very much protection from shipping damage imo, but it's good to know that even with very little envelope padding, the case and belt clip held fine to Canada Post's mailing system.

My Final Verdict: For the price I bought it for (around $20 shipped) it was an ok buy. It would have been nicer though if the s/h was cheaper. I could have gotten the same exact case from ebay for around half the cost (shipping included) from Hong Kong. I just wish more Canadian Amazon sellers were cheaper when it came to their s/h costs. Anyway, if you want an Otterbox case for your ipod 4g, but you can't afford it (or don't want to pay the high price for the real thing), and you are not going to use any aftermarket power plugs or headphones with it, this case is a good substitute. If you intend to use a car/home adapter and headphones that were not made by Apple, you should look for a different case.

UPDATE:

I was finally able to install the Anti-Glare screen protector to see it it would help stop the "oil slick" look caused by the case's built in plastic screen protector. I'm happy to report that after almost a week of extensive use, the addition of that Anti Glare screen protector did it's job like I hoped it would. That ugly "oil slick" look has not returned. I'm very happy with my Defender case, so much so that I'm now thinking of buying another one as a back-up (just in case the first one gets damaged in some way). I now give the case 4 stars (it would have been 5 stars if the s/h was cheaper).

Btw, if you need the Anti-Glare screen protector, I bought them from an Amazon seller named "CitiGeeks". They had the best price.

Patriot Memory Box Office 1080p High-Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 (Black)
Patriot Memory Box Office 1080p High-Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Would be perfect if it had netflix app installed, Jan. 26 2011
For the people out there having problems transferring files to and from the Patriot Box Office (PBO for short)... you have to first install an internal hard drive. ;) Without an internal drive, you won't be able to transfer files to/from the PBO via usb, lan or wireless connection (the latter method needs a wireless dongle, G or N, which can be found on the net... only certain realtek chipsets will work... so check out the Patriot forums for compatible USB dongles). After you have installed a hard drive and let the PBO format it, all you need to do is follow the on screen prompts. Where many users get confused/lost is when they forget to check mark the file they want to transfer BEFORE transferring it. If the check box beside the file you want to move is not checked off, it will just take you back to the main menu screen (where it seems it failed at the transfer attempt). Once that box beside the file you want to move is checked off and a destination is chosen (usb to internal drive, or visa versa), the file(s) transfer without issue. As for updates, Patriot's website has a forum section that is of great help for any questions a person may have. There is also talk of trying to add Netflix support to the PBO. If that happens, this will be one of the best and most affordable (after mail in rebate) media boxes on the market (and that includes the Oplay and Western Digital boxes). To put it simplyly, the PBO plays basically everything I have thrown at it (720p and 1080p movie files as well), and it does so without a hitch. If you are currently using a laptop connected to your big screen to watch movies, get the PBO instead. :)