ARRAY(0xc48f8798)

Profile for Amazonbombshell > Reviews

Content by Amazonbombshell

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazonbombshell (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
When the Elephants Dance: A Novel
When the Elephants Dance: A Novel
by Tess Uriza Holthe
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought...and fabulous!, July 9 2002
I kept hearing that this book was a blend of magical realism and painful reality. It is...I guess. It's a story of the last days of WWII in the Philippine Islands, during the Japanese occupation. The present-time narrative alternates between the points of view of three young people, and now and then it shifts to a story of the past, told by one of the older people, that tends to contain elements of the magical or supernatural, and is intended to convey a lesson for the young people in the present. This plot style has the potential to disintegrate into chaos, by Holthe skillfully keeps it moving with gorgeous prose and seemless blending of past and present tales. Her portrait of a nation caught between the hammer and anvil of two powerful opposing armies, of a people struggling to salvage identity and honor from the blood and ashes of war, is beautifully written and heartbreaking. This is REAL literature.

Living In Sin? A Bishop Rethinks Human Sexuality
Living In Sin? A Bishop Rethinks Human Sexuality
by John Shelby Spong
Price: CDN$ 15.87
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for courage and compassion, July 8 2002
Wow. Let me say that again: wow. I grew up Christian, and I know lots of people who fall under that designation. Some of them are judgemental and intolerant, many of them are compassionate, loving people -- and almost all of them fall short of the kind of tolerance and love for humanity that the bishop John Shelby Spong obviously possesses. I left the Christian church for many reasons, one of which was the outdated dogma attached to moral behavior. Bishop Spong in LIVING IN SIN addresses issues of sexual morality (pre-marital sex, homosexuality, post-married sex) with a voice that is open, unafraid, and firmly based in Christian teachings. His Biblical scholarship is very good, and his message opened my eyes and gave me hope for the future of Christianity, faith in general, and the place of organized faith systems in our society.

Chased By The Light: A 90-Day Journey
Chased By The Light: A 90-Day Journey
by Jim Brandenberg
18 used & new from CDN$ 4.52

5.0 out of 5 stars I normally hesitate to use this word, but...profound., July 8 2002
I'm a verbal type; I'd rather read a beautifully written description of a frozen lake than stare at a picture of it anytime. Even knowing that, my mother gave me this book several years ago, and I fell in love. I sat with it for hours, seeing, dreaming, and I still take it down often to do the same again. The photographer, Jim Brandenburg, set himself the challenge of taking only one photograph each day for three months, in the boreal forest where he makes his home. The result is a portrait of life as many of us can never experience it: not just "calendar shots," but pictures that show the cruelty of man, the certainty of death, the very simple beauty of a single bright leaf burning on the dark, still waters of an evening pond. Some photos are amazing in themselves and some seem ordinary in the extreme, but it is important to take them as a whole, and see what you learn from the journey.

Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
by Anna Johnson
Price: CDN$ 13.83
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, funny, usually practical, July 8 2002
Let's face it, girls: no amount of book-reading is going to magically transform the person that you naturally are into a cool and collected bombshell who looks like a million dollars in classy heels at all times and says the right thing in every situation, whether she's volunteering at a soup kitchen, breaking up with her partner, or whipping up something truly magnificent for dessert.
That said, it's easy enough to make simple changes to help yourself become more organized, take control of your life, feel more beautiful, improve your skills, and find joy in the simple things.
Anna Johnson's smart and sassy little pink guide is perfect for helping women everywhere do just that. She covers finances, entertaining, spirituality, happiness, tools, wardrobe, friendships, dating, jobs, careers, homes, depression, body image, love, and the responsibility to give back to our world. She's funny, her retro drawings are irresistably cute, and her savvy advice pulls no punches. Read it, think about how it works with who YOU are, and see how much fun you can have.

The Dharma Bums
The Dharma Bums
by Jack Kerouac
Price: CDN$ 12.27
52 used & new from CDN$ 3.30

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm gonna get blasted for this, but..., July 8 2002
Ce commentaire est de: The Dharma Bums (Paperback)
... I just couldn't get into this book. It's a beat classic, so I hear, and it's about traveling and living free and enjoying life on lots of levels. From the descriptions and glowing reviews, I figured I should have loved it. I even read it while I was traveling up the US/Canadian west coast, and I grew up familiar with many of the areas mentioned in the book. In spite of all that, I didn't like it at all. For one thing, it's full of these obscure Buddhist terms and concepts, and although religion is sort of a hobby of mine, I didn't know enough to make sense of all the boddishatva-dropping, and the writing wasn't good enough to make up for that. I guess I just don't like it when the narrator introduces dialogue with "sez I."

Confessions of a Pagan Nun
Confessions of a Pagan Nun
by Kate Horsley
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but it just didn't "click", July 1 2002
I would like to give this book 3 and half stars, actually. Horsley's descriptive prose is rich and beatiful; she has a way of describing things succinctly in totally new ways. Her plot is interesting, too: equal parts memoir, philosophical treatise, and even mystery. But something about the book kept me from being pulled into the story, from really living it. Maybe it's the constant back and forth from past to present, but I've run into that in plenty of books I really liked. I can't pin it down, but in any case, the book is still worth reading. Wait for the paperback though. You can't tell from the book info, but it's this little tiny thing that feels absolutely wrong in hardback.

Moon Under Her Feet
Moon Under Her Feet
by Clysta Kinstler
Price: CDN$ 13.71
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, yes. But very odd., July 1 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Moon Under Her Feet (Paperback)
First of all, let me admit up front that I haven't finished this book. I couldn't. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood at the time, but all the mysticism really got to me in the first six chapters and it totally turned me off. I don't know if this is my personal bias or what: I'm somewhat pagan and I have a mystical side, but I'm also a hardcore skeptic and very picky about historical correctness.
Beyond that complaint, THE MOON UNDER HER FEET seems to be well written. Time moves very quickly, though, and it's hard to get a good sense of any of the characters, at least so far as I have read. I hope at some point in the near future I will be feeling 'mystical' and able to finish the novel. I'm curious.

Tain
Tain
by Louis Le Brocquy
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars This is GOOD!, May 18 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Tain (Paperback)
Having heard it referenced so many times (and finally figuring out how to pronounce it!)I finally bought The Tain. I'm glad it did; it is certainly of great historical value and (more importantly) an exciting tale. It will give you a frame of reference for all those fragments of old stories you hear about Deirdre and Cuchulainn and dozen others; it brings them altogether in order and in relation to each other, and it's fun to read. It rambles at times, it exaggerates unapologetically, and sometimes it's confusing, but that's all in the nature of Celtic storytelling. Enjoy it!

Narcissus Ascending: A Novel
Narcissus Ascending: A Novel
by Karen McKinnon
12 used & new from CDN$ 3.37

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY good, May 17 2002
The style is a little confusing at times -- I LIKE standard punctuation! -- but the characters are absolutely riveting. Becky, the narrator and main character, is a struggling artist who spends most of the book deftly psychoanalyzing herself, her friends, and especially the mysterious siren Callie, the sweet/strange/needy/demanding/impossible woman who brought Becky and all her friends together because each one had been burned in some way by her. Becky's narrative is frustrated and emotional and a wild joy to read, and the special rivalry between her and Callie and the way it affects their other friends makes for a unique and compelling portrait of friendship unlike anything I have ever read.

Her
Her
by Laura Zigman
Price: CDN$ 26.40
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Elise? Intelligent?, May 17 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Her (Hardcover)
She's a paranoid idiot, really, and her much-vaunted "intelligence" doesn't do anything to save her from her vicious -- and self-created, for the most part -- cycle of jealously and self-loathing. She's not Bridget, okay? Not even CLOSE. Bridget was crazy. Bridget was original. Bridget was laugh-out-loud funny. Elise is none of these things, and Zigman's writing makes it all too clear that she is trying to make Elise ALL of these things...It's almost complete [junk].

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10