ARRAY(0xc34ab99c)

Profile for V. VanCamp > Reviews

Content by V. VanCamp

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

V. VanCamp "lovesbookslovesmusic" (Ithaca, New York USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
American Fool
American Fool
Offered by nagiry
Price: CDN$ 5.54
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Aug. 22 2003
This review is from: American Fool (Audio CD)
Aaaahhh . . . the songs of my youth! This is another terrific album we added to our 80's collection. How wonderfully familiar - Jack and Diane; Hurts So Good; Hand to Hold Onto; Thundering Hearts; China Girl. Good Stuff. John Cougar Mellencamp was and is a superb artist.
I miss the music of the 80's. Ever notice how upbeat 80's songs are!? This album is (to use a word from the 80's) Awesome!

Acoustic Soul (W/1 Bonus Track)
Acoustic Soul (W/1 Bonus Track)
Price: CDN$ 11.00
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Aug. 22 2003
I'm not sure on what show my husband and I first heard/saw India Arie. What I do know is that we were in amazement and hooked instantly. Incredible voice. Incredible sound. She is truly magical.
We now have this cd and we love it. India Arie is so smooth. What a pleasure it is to be carried away by her fresh soulful voice.
India Arie - we look forward to your next album!

Summer Place
Summer Place
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 15.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 10.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, Dec 13 2002
This review is from: Summer Place (Audio CD)
Great album. Very relaxing and soothing. The songs are well chosen and beautifully performed.
Gene Nery is very talented. I look forward to listening to more of his work.
I recommend this cd if you are looking for something peaceful with songs that you recognize.

Oh Baby!: A Journal
Oh Baby!: A Journal
by Helene Tragos Stelian
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Sweet, Dec 13 2002
This review is from: Oh Baby!: A Journal (Hardcover)
This is a lovely book for keepsakes and baby memories. It starts out before baby is born, takes you through the birth and first few days and into baby's milestones and first haircut etc.
It has pockets for memorabilia and places for photos and lots of empty pages to write your thoughts and feelings. It even gives special places for dad to share!
Plus the book itself is adorable with colorful pages and an overall adorable look to it. What fun!

Message in a Bottle
Message in a Bottle
by Nicholas Sparks
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.02
123 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Good, Dec 13 2002
This book reads just like a Danielle Steel novel. This is the first book I've read by Nicholas Sparks and for some reason I expected more depth. I probably should have read the book before I saw the movie! I enjoyed the movie much more. The book seemed very anti-climatic.
After saying all that, I should point out that I did enjoy the book and read it pretty quickly... it was an easy and pleasurable read. My expectations were probably too high is all.
I enjoyed the author's style enough to try another of his books and I would recommend this book if you enjoy love stories (even when they are sad and tortured) and especially if you are fond of Danielle Steel's books.

Mexican
Mexican
VHS
6 used & new from CDN$ 1.54

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mix, March 22 2002
This review is from: Mexican (VHS Tape)
'The Mexican' has a good mix of comedy, romance, action, adventure, drama and suspense. Very enjoyable movie. Julia plays a wonderful quirky, smartypants, sensitive, woman in love. Brad does very well as a slightly lost, good hearted semi-boyfriend just trying to keep himself alive while hoping that his semi-girlfriend will somehow understand. James puts in a stellar performance as the guy who is "very sensitive for a cold-blooded killer".
I recommend giving this movie a shot. Leave your expectations at the door and just enjoy the show for what it is ... a quirky kinda dark romantic comedy. It is well done, combining romance, action and emotional impact with comedy.
There are some very funny scenes, a few somewhat deep scenes that deal with relationship issues and some dramatic scenes that are sad and some that are happy, all of them touching. There are also some subtle jokes, so keep your eyes and ears open!
Admittedly, there was a point where I felt that the movie was going on a bit long, but it quickly became interesting again and I forgot about that.
When you watch this movie, I recommend taking special note of the three main character's eyes. The actors very effectively express their character's emotions and thoughts with their eyes.
Enjoy!

Litt Hse Highlands
Litt Hse Highlands
by Melissa Wiley
28 used & new from CDN$ 1.84

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, Feb. 19 2002
This review is from: Litt Hse Highlands (Paperback)
What a sweet book. I really enjoyed it. Very nice to read about the highlands and their way of life back then. Very informative book. Great for kids and adults!
Also,it is great to read about Laura Ingalls Wilder's ancestors. Fascinating indeed. Melissa Wiley has an enchanting way of writing. You can see where Laura got her fiestiness, charm and energy.
I recommend this book for you and your children!

Greatest Hits: Vol. 2
Greatest Hits: Vol. 2
Price: CDN$ 8.49
35 used & new from CDN$ 1.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Elton, Feb. 19 2002
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Vol. 2 (Audio CD)
My husband and I saw the movie "Almost Famous" and really enjoyed the scene where they all sang "Tiny Dancer." My husband liked that song so much he kept replaying that scene! So, I decided to get the song for him ... the question was, the Elton John cd or the soundtrack to the movie?
We have other Elton John greatest hits albums and due to the other songs on this particular album, I decided on Elton John and I am glad that I did. The whole album is great, and I really enjoy "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."
Good album... the songs reflect the times and you may become nostalgic.

First Take
First Take
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 5.26
21 used & new from CDN$ 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars What a voice!, Feb. 19 2002
This review is from: First Take (Audio CD)
Oooohh Robert Flack. Gorgeous voice. Incredible cd with her early songs. I gave this as a gift to my husband and he was stoked!
His favorite songs include "Compared to What" and "Angelitos Negros". I really enjoy "Hey, That's No Way to Say Good-bye" and of course, no body can sing "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" like the amazing Roberta Flack!
Roberta has a lusty voice that you will never forget and will want to hear again and again. Listening to this album will be an experiencing like no other. You can't go wrong here!

Independent Woman
Independent Woman
by Howard Fast
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought this book on sale, Feb. 19 2002
and I am glad I did not pay full price for it. It was an ok book. I have never read any of Howard Fast's books before and I probably won't bother with any others.
I felt that the book was rambley and disjointed. I did like the fact that the author made it easy to read this book without reading the others in the series.
I also liked reading about Jerusalem, wine, and Unitarianism. These were wonderfully researched and discussed and it was good to learn new things and explore new ideas, especially in relation to faith and God.
In books that I really enjoy, the characters are alive, I feel close to them and am sorry when the story comes to a close. I did not have this feeling at the end of "An Independent Woman." The end was sad, but I never felt that I really knew Barbara or her family and, therefore, I felt removed from the events.
It is a good and interesting story, but I was not able to warm to the characters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13