Profile for CoCo > Reviews

Content by CoCo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

CoCo

Lead With Your Heart
Lead With Your Heart
Price: CDN$ 10.00
34 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tenors Define New Music Genre - Neo-Classical, Nov. 6 2012
This review is from: Lead With Your Heart (Audio CD)
When the Tenors (formerly the Canadian Tenors) joined David Foster's new Verve Records, the release of this, their second studio album was much delayed but boy oh boy was it worth it! The production value is outstanding with a solo violin on the opening bars of "Amazing Grace" that'll have you weeping like a baby even before the vocals begin. With this release the evolution of the Tenors musical style continues to move far beyond the standard tenor group repertoire. Tracks range from covers of pop classics like "Forever Young" and "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" to a truly jaw-dropping Nessun Dorma arranged for four voices. But the standout tracks may be those composed or co-written by the Tenors themselves including my favorite "World Stand Still".

These great new melodies are arranged and delivered with a classical sensibility and vocal integrity that begs for a new genre label - Neo-Classical.

I highly recommend it as a stocking stuffer for the classical music fan on your holiday gift list, because take it from me I, I love you but I don't need yet another compilation disc of Mozart's or Opera's greatest hits, I really don't!

The Warded Man: Book One of The Demon Cycle
The Warded Man: Book One of The Demon Cycle
by Peter V. Brett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.92
64 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Fantasy Novels in Years, April 25 2012
This is a story of a dark and dangerous champion battling the overwhelming evil that seeps from the very ground of a dark and dangerous world. The world-building here is detailed and evocative and the central character moves from innocence thru betrayal to a strength hard won by a path that is twisted and original. The complexity of some of the supporting cast, particularly the female characters could be deeper but that may well unfold in later books. Absolutely a cut above most of the fantasy fiction on the market.

The Canadian Tenors
The Canadian Tenors
6 used & new from CDN$ 7.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Canadian Tenors - Shockingly Good Debut CD, Feb. 23 2010
This review is from: The Canadian Tenors (Audio CD)
They say that it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. If so this recording demonstrates more than 40,000 hours of musical mastery. The voices and phrasing transcend. And while I find some of the tracks over-produced for my taste, quality is all over this recording. There is no doubt in my mind that what these gentlemen are doing is not opera nor classical, but rather moving forward an entirely unique musical genre, classical crossover. It makes me happy.

The Perfect Gift
The Perfect Gift
Price: CDN$ 8.00
31 used & new from CDN$ 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Gift for all Seasons, Feb. 23 2010
This review is from: The Perfect Gift (Audio CD)
Do I love this recording? Yes I do. I play cuts from it every single day. About half of them are seasonal, the rest are transcendent of time and place. I can tell my friends initially listen to the tracks and YouTube video links for the Canadian Tenors I send as an indulgence to my enthusiasm. Then they see and hear and experience. I get back emails full of exclamation points and Facebook queries about how did I find them? The Canadian Tenors are, and this recording is, a Perfect Gift.