Profile for Ashley Wynn > Reviews

Content by Ashley Wynn

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ashley Wynn "polijn" (Mountain Pine, AR United States)

Virtual Light
Virtual Light
Price: CDN$ 9.89
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Gibson, Sept. 25 2001
This review is from: Virtual Light (Paperback)
Maybe it's just because I was raised in Arkansas and I live in a trailer park that I love this one so much. Dunno, but I love how Gibson captures that strange, backward, what we down here call that 'redneck' or 'white trash' feel. The weird Jesus fanatics and the effect that television has on us down here is JUST LIKE THAT. Like at Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs where you can park your RV at a private, fenced-in campground where "Jesus Christ is Lord."

Mona Lisa Overdrive
Mona Lisa Overdrive
Price: CDN$ 9.89
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I should have read Count Zero first..., Sept. 25 2001
But who cares? Molly was there. I love that razorgirl. Makes me want glass eyes.

SPACE MERCHANTS MMP
SPACE MERCHANTS MMP
by Frederik Pohl
13 used & new from CDN$ 2.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Business keeping us down..., Sept. 25 2001
This review is from: SPACE MERCHANTS MMP (Paperback)
I had to read this for Dr. Frost's SciFi class. In the beginning I had my doubts. I don't think I actually finished it in time for the test. The important thing is that the story stayed in my mind, bouncing around back there any time I had a desperate craving for a coke, a bag of chips, or a cigarette. It bothered me when I cut up chicken and when I saw anyone dressed in clothes all from the same clothing company, it's logo blazing across every material surface. Drives me nuts. I buy generic now. Just because. Oh... and I eventually finished it and have reread it several times since.

Fight Club: A Novel
Fight Club: A Novel
by Chuck Palahniuk
24 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the movie., July 31 2001
This review is from: Fight Club: A Novel (Paperback)
Except for where the original supply of fat came from. And that part about Joni Mitchell's skeleton.

The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels
by Thomas Cahill
Price: CDN$ 14.40
124 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think I'd like this book..., July 31 2001
but I did. I had to read it for Dr. Duffy's class, and I'm sure I was one of the three people who actually enjoyed doing this particular bit of homework. I'm not the most familiar with the bible, but it made the time period interesting, at least, so that I might actually go back and read that long, boring book.

Brightly Burning
Brightly Burning
by Mercedes Lackey
Price: CDN$ 8.54
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Colorful, July 31 2001
Though the plot was predictable (or maybe I just have foresight), I enjoyed this book. I'd never read any of Lackey's books, but I loved the colors and textures I expireinced when I read about the textile mercants. The world is interesting, though I think I'd like to see that war from the other side's view, too.

Neuromancer
Neuromancer
Price: CDN$ 8.54
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Spaghetti Western--Pulp Fiction, July 31 2001
Okay... this book was required reading for Dr. Frost's ScienceFiction class. I was so glad he'd required it. I'd never read cyperpunk before. I'd seen bits and pieces of Johnny Mneumonic here and there and some comics and graphic novels, but never really thought about it. I love it. Some guy earlier slammed it for being a "spaghetti western" and cliched. Well, it is. It's supposed to be like that. That's the way I like it. I also love Robert E. Howard. Conan reads the same way to me, only with swords. But i'm going to check out that other guy's work too... *shrug*