Profile for Yui-chan > Reviews

Content by Yui-chan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Yui-chan (Edison, NJ USA)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
by J.K. Rowling
196 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It really surprised me..., Nov. 11 2001
In the beginning, I loathed Harry Potter with every fiber of my being. At the mention of his name i would run away screaming.I couldn't understand how so many of my friends in high school loved this book. My friend eventually forced me to read the book knowing that I would like it. Needless to say, I loved it. the story is wonderfully told with as many twists and turns as any mystery book I have ever read. The characters trials and tribulations were real, even if the plot was not. I'm a lover of fantasy books and this, admittedly, was one of the most incredible fantasy stories I have ever read. I;m glad that my friend forced this book down my throat, and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. For all of those who don't want to read this book because it is for 'children', don't overlook this beautiful story. I felt that way too, but I am glad I read it and recommend this book to any fantasy lover, regardless of age.

Sue Grafton: Three Complete Novels; D, E & F: D is for Deadbeat; E is for Evidence; F is for Fugitive
by Sue Grafton
40 used & new from CDN$ 3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, Oct. 1 2001
I first picked up "A is for Alibi" because I had previously heard Sue Grafton's name and I was desperately searching for a new book. I thought that the idea of a female P.I. was overplayed, but I read it anyway. I have been hooked on Sue Grafton since, and the D, E, F collection was the answer to my cravings for more. The story grabs you and doesn't let go until you are finished with the book. The suspense was so intense that I read the book for hours on end just to see how it would end. Kinsey Millhone is a very real character, you really relate to her, and eventually come to care about her, that is probably what I enjoyed most about the books. I'm up to "O is for Outlaw" now and have no intention of stopping.

Blood Pact
Blood Pact
by Tanya Huff
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful..., March 25 2001
This review is from: Blood Pact (Mass Market Paperback)
I fell in love with Tanya Huff's works ever since "The Wizard of the Grove", and "Blood Pact" did not disappoint me. Vicki Nelson receives a call that turns her life upside down, her mother has died. Vicki quickly packs her things to Kingstown to say her farewells. But when somebody steals her mother's body, Vicki is on the case and very eager to exact her revenge. This was such a beautiful story that I thought I was going to cry, and I haven't cried in three or four years. It almost made me want to say "I love you" to my mother, almost. This book was undoubtedly the best book in the series.

Postmortem
Postmortem
by Patricia Cornwell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
90 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby..., March 25 2001
This review is from: Postmortem (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first bought this book, I thought it would be a classic hack and slash type of story. But after the first few chapters I realized that it definetly had more going for it. The story is about a medical examiner, Kay Scarpetta, and the recent serial stranglings that she is working on. It has politics, emotions, and a very clever killer. Although Kay's hunches usually lead her in a very large circle, it constantly keeps you on your toes. The ending was a little abrupt for me, but it didn't make the book any less wonderful. Overall, Patricia Cornwell succeeded in creating a very realistic and suspenseful story.