Profile for Shannon Batton > Reviews

Content by Shannon Batton

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Shannon Batton (Tampa, FL)

The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
by Vicki Iovine
164 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Is a Pregnancy Book Supposed to be so One-Sided?, Oct. 8 2003
I found this book to be as equally disappointing as it was helpful. I have been preparing for motherhood for years before this conception, and have read 20-30 books on the subject, but never have I read one that angered and frustrated me so much! I, in no way, discourage the opinions of others, however, Vicki Iovine's constant mentions of Christianity and God were almost enough to make me toss this book. This religious overtone is something I have never heard in such a book, nor is it something that is particularly helpful. My biggest disappointment was the absence of positive talk regarding alternative birth options. Perhaps the author is a tad misinformed, but midwives and the concept of a conscious birth are of great relief and not so uncommon in this society. Not only does the author tell the reader, irrevocably, to have a medical doctor (usually a man, according to Vicki) perform the birth, give an epidural, and perform an unneeded c-section whenever mom requests for her personally reasons, but she does nothing other than bad mouth the alternatives. She actually tells us not to choose a midwife, because it is the role of Doctor that is revered as Hero in this country, and she kindly reminds the reader that midwives "were tried as witches in colonial Salem!" (pg 71). Perhaps someone should remind the author that closed minded Christians were fed to the lions in days past as well, but no one uses that method of persuasion anymore. Maybe she should leave her judgment at the door when she sits down at her typewriter.
Everyone knows that this book is a huge seller, and I'm woman enough to admit that I have derived a nice bit of new information from this publication. But us progressive thinkers of the world should be informed of the ENTIRE nature of the book, and not just the blurbs on the back cover.