Profile for Sandra S. > Reviews

Content by Sandra S.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Sandra S.

Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred
Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred
Price: CDN$ 7.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 4.27

3.0 out of 5 stars This workout will not deliver as promised, Jan. 11 2012
First, let me say, I'm already fit, work out and just wanted to lose five pounds. Those five pounds are a result of being in my mid forties and my metabolism slowing down. I wanted this workout to add to my existing routine, as I didn't want to reduce my caloric intake. I already consume between 1300-1600 calories a day,and can't go any lower.

The three workouts had challenging aspects to them, but I found something to be lacking. Can't quite put my finger on it. If you're new to working out, you'll have a hard time with some of the moves, keeping up and executing them. There's risk of injury with some, and despite the claim that Jillian is there for you, really, obviously, she's not, so she can't see if your form isn't correct.

First, do your own warmup, this has got to be one of the lamest warmups I've ever come across. Too short, and doesn't get the lower body loosened enough before you start into the exercises.

Second, the so-called 'easier' versions, still don't take into consideration any injuries or physical limitations you may have. Telling us that 400 pound people can do jumping jacks is little consolation if you're damaging your lower back through the jarring of hitting the floor with your legs splayed. The majority of the cardio sections are high impact and potential injuries can result, especially from the move that has you jumping up from a lunge position, switching your legs in the air, and landing in another lunge position. I don't need the sprained ankles, thanks. For someone as fit as I am, the easier versions are akin to standing in place and would do very little for me, so I was between a rock and a hard place- injure myself, or not move enough.

Third, there's no way that a person could get 'shredded' from this workout. Shredded is a term used by bodybuilders to describe very prominent muscles with minimal bodyfat. That just isn't possible with the weight portion of this program. The weights used will be too light, and you can't use heavier ones without risking back injury, due to combining the weights with lower body moves.

Fourth, the ab routines aren't very good. I can't imagine them helping anyone except those who never work out at all. If you want a great ab routine, buy Tony Horton's that goes with his 10 Minute Trainer. Now, that's a killer ab workout.

I did this workout for six weeks. I only had five pounds to lose, and after six weeks, I still had five pounds to lose. I do like the premise of doing three circuits within the twenty minutes, I think I'll just take the best of the moves and combine them and make my own workout. Maybe that'll produce better results.

10 Minute Trainer
10 Minute Trainer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, Jan. 31 2011
This review is from: 10 Minute Trainer (DVD)
Where to begin? I bought this as a supplement for my regular workouts, I really didn't have weight to lose, but I can't see how a person could lose weight on this system if you only do ten minutes a day like the ads claim.

You need to watch each section to get used to the moves as they go too quickly to follow along with right off the bat. The cardio is mostly high impact, which is not good for me, so I had to modify the moves a bit. I can't use the resistance belt as I don't have the proper door hinges. The warmups are pretty lame, do your own to get properly warmed up. I do like the abs and lower body section, very challenging, in a good way. My complaint with the total body section is the resistance bands provided will not stretch over my head, like they're supposed to. There's a guide that tells you what each colour band that's available is equivalent to in weights, but the colour brown isn't listed, and that's what I have. It must be pretty high since I'm used to working with heavy weights. I gave up on the bands and use light free weights instead. Don't like the yoga section, there's not enough emphasis on technique, which is crucial for yoga. I'll stick with my own yoga routine that I do.

My biggest complaint is how quickly boredom is going to set in as there's only one workout per body part. There should be variations to keep things interesing.

If you follow the recommended eating plan, realize it's for short term, only. The calorie count is way too low for a long term diet.

For the cost, I would say pass on this product. There's so many good exercise dvd's out there that are cheaper. It's a misleading product in that you don't actually do only 10 minutes a day if you want major results. You need to do at least three of the workouts if you're really looking for change. So, you're doing a thirty minute workout, anyway, may as well buy something else.