Profile for A. Joyce > Reviews

Content by A. Joyce

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

A. Joyce "ajjoyce" (moon township, pa United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Home Emergency Guide
Home Emergency Guide
by Karen Hosack Janes
10 used & new from CDN$ 4.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Photos, A Bit Tricky to Follow!, May 15 2003
This review is from: Home Emergency Guide (Paperback)
DK books are famous for their photos, and this is no exception. Each page for first aid, home emergency, or natural disaster has great descriptive pictures.
However.....directions are given in a graph-type form. It's almost like an old DOS program with the "if yes, if no" commands. Not at all easy to follow in a real emergency! I like our book, but probably would not have bought it if I knew the directions required such concentration!!

Wiggles, the:Wiggle Bay
Wiggles, the:Wiggle Bay
VHS
3 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing New Entry, May 7 2003
This review is from: Wiggles, the:Wiggle Bay (VHS Tape)
This newest edition from the Wiggles lacks many of the elements that make it a favorite among children. The most curious is the film footage, and the location. It feels more like a movie but obviously lacks any storyline such as Wiggly Movie had. It also lacks any "good" dancing and choreography. My children loved dancing along with Greg & Co. both on televeision and at their concert, however this doesn't offer many memorable moves. Moreover, the songs are fairly forgettable. I'm disappointed, and so are my kids!

Wiggles, the:Dance Party
Wiggles, the:Dance Party
VHS
5 used & new from CDN$ 2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the inexpensive recording fool you, Nov. 5 2002
It's fun to see how far this group has come. This very early video features Anthony in a green collared shirt playing both himself and Captain Feathersword. The scenery is obviously painted and taped together (you can see the cardboard lines!), and the recording studio is dull and under-lighted.
But, fear not, the music is superb. It was these songs, remember, that made the Wiggles the big stars they are today. So put away your negative comments of the production and be a kid...just enjoy the show!

Tragic Wand
Tragic Wand
by James Tucker
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising End, Great Storyline!, Nov. 5 2002
I happened upon this book and was surprised by how well-written it was for a practicing physician. Another surprise was the Pittsburgh setting. As a Pittsburgher, I enjoy stories set in my own hometown. The reason I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars was the gruesomeness of the murders. I realize the author is a doctor (pediatrician), but his descriptions of things creeped me out.
If you enjoy Cornwell-esque murders and Robin Cook-like stories this book is for you. I look forward to the other books by this author.

Tractors
Tractors
by C Young
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choice for Tractor Lover, Oct. 11 2002
This review is from: Tractors (Paperback)
My toddler loves this book so much, the library should just sell it to us! That's why I'm buying it now. It's from British publisher Usborne, so some words may seem different to an American audience. However it doesn't impede the great artwork or the myriad farm equipment explained in the pages. Usborne typically produces quality books, and this one is no exception.

by Peggy Rathmann
Price: CDN$ 8.54
157 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just About the Gorilla!, May 28 2002
Wordless picture books give children the opportunity to create their own story by what they see. My one-year old picked up on items in the story that I never saw. For example, he pointed out that on every page appears the balloon, the mouse and the banana. Perception is wonderful, and I only perceived the primary animals. His perception followed the mouse's escapades as well as the balloon's departure into the night sky.
That's the beauty of wordless picture books - perception.

by Peggy Rathmann
Price: CDN$ 8.54
157 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just About the Gorilla!, May 28 2002
That's the beauty of wordless picture books - perception.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?: 25th Anniversary Edition
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?: 25th Anniversary Edition
by Eric Carle
133 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a Story, but a Song too!, May 28 2002
Every parent probably knows this story. However I learned it was put to music, namely the music of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." So now it's a portable story to sing in the car or on walks. My children love to sing it, and it reinforces memorization, color identification and animals.
Try it as a song today, you'll be hooked!

Gone For Good
Gone For Good
by Harlan Coben
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing and Addictive, May 28 2002
This review is from: Gone For Good (Hardcover)
Not many novels can start strong, and keep the pace as well as this new addition from Harlan Coben. His stories spring to life so clearly, you almost believe these people exist in another place or time.
Without giving any hints to the storyline, I'll tell you it's easy to read from front to back in two days. This coming from a mom of two toddlers who carried the book around and sneaked pages in between cleaning up sticky fingers and dirty diapers!

Matchbox Caterpillar Contruction Zone - Game Boy
Matchbox Caterpillar Contruction Zone - Game Boy
2 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment; Difficult to Play, May 19 2002
Initially my son and I had a difficult time even moving the machines. But he mastered it, and really loves playing alone.
It keeps his interest fairly well, but I think some other comparable games are better!

Page: 1 | 2