Profile for Noah Count > Reviews

Content by Noah Count

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Noah Count (Rochester, NY USA)

A Rage for Glory: The Life of Commodore Stephen Decatur, USN
A Rage for Glory: The Life of Commodore Stephen Decatur, USN
by James Tertius de Kay
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected better, June 29 2004
I ordered this book without too much thought as I had read James DeKay's previous book on the British, then American, frigate Macedonian. Decatur was responsible for the Macedonian's capture so I assumed that the biography was a natural fit. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to receive such a thin, light (in many senses of the word) tome. Perhaps, I'm attracted to more scholarly endeavors but I found the book slight where I longed for depth and detail. There was little new material in the book and sometimes I thought it was just a quick rehash of notes set down for the book on the Macedonian. That it came out about the time of the ill-fated Master and Commander movie makes me think it was also rushed. One of the founders of the American Navy living in such a colorful period of history and, in many ways, being the epitome of his time, deserves better.

Before The Flood (2CD)
Before The Flood (2CD)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
10 used & new from CDN$ 14.42

5.0 out of 5 stars And Then Some, Sept. 3 2002
This review is from: Before The Flood (2CD) (Audio CD)
This is the epitome of rock for me. Other songs and, yes, even other albums are better but none stirs as deeply as this set. Even better I got to hear recently one of the bootlegs floating around from this tour. And some of it is truly amazing, including a version of Forever Young. Now that I know more tapes of this stuff exists, I keep hoping we'll get a re-release here with bonus tracks. Maybe another whole set. Robbie Robertson, Garth Hudson and Dylan are all on fire here, not to mention Danko, Helm and Manuel. Ignore this at your own loss.

Revenge
Revenge
VHS
7 used & new from CDN$ 0.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Pleasures, March 4 2002
This review is from: Revenge (VHS Tape)
This movie is a guilty pleasure for me. I was one of the few who enjoyed it when it was first released. I was aware of the Jim Harrison novella and Kevin Costner still hadn't squandered his talent. I had a hard time explaining why it intrigued me until I realized that it was a true romance. Medieval in concept, merely updated. Costner is the knight-errant, Anthony Quinn the evil baron who has locked Costner's true love, Madeleine Stowe, away in a 'tower'. Though it's not as heart wrenching as I thought as a younger man, there is enough mystery in some of the images to hold my attention.
And then, there's Madeleine Stowe, a true raven-haired beauty. Enough to stir the imagination of even an aging boomer.

The Word
The Word
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 72.73
5 used & new from CDN$ 43.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Year, Jan. 11 2002
This review is from: The Word (Audio CD)
I'm not a religious person, but I've always had a strong, visceral connection to black gospel music ever since I walked past a small storefront church as a much younger man and heard the tambourines and stamping feet.
When I heard mention of The Word on PBS, I was intrigued enough to send for it. A couple of years ago, I saw the Campbell Brothers at a folk festival. We went to church that day. So I knew what to expect.
I don't listen to a lot of 'new' music; I'm just as happy being old and in the way, but 'I'll Fly Away' and 'Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burnin' go back to the Blind Willie Johnson and Georgia Tom Dorsey. Robert Randolph's musical sense is remarkable. Easily one of the best albums I've heard this year.

The Far Side of the World (Aubrey Maturin Series)
The Far Side of the World (Aubrey Maturin Series)
by Patrick O'Brian
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best in the series, Dec 3 2000
I first discovered this series in the Grenadines almost twenty years ago when only the first two volumes were generally available in the US. Since, then, I've decided to read the entire series in order. This is not one of the best of O'Brian's efforts. The book starts out promising, with excellent sections on Brazil and Cape Horn but as the Pacific looms closer, the bones of the plot start to show. If I read of another improbable rescue of the principals, I may not have the fortitude to continue the series. Add to that a showy locquacity and the usual courtly pretensions of the Tories and you end up with what for me became a disappointment. I'm already well into the next volume and find it much more engaging.

Brazil [Import]
Brazil [Import]
8 used & new from CDN$ 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilliam Forever!, May 12 2000
This review is from: Brazil [Import] (VHS Tape)
I was talking to a friend at work once about this film. He said he liked it but wanted to know what it was about. I looked around at the cube farm where we worked, the fortress-like building without a breath of fresh air, the stultifying work we did, the brown, oily river flowing through the city completely encased in concrete, the suspicious managers that wandered through our floor. All I could answer was, "This, all this. "

Penguin Classics Personal Narrative Of A Journey To The Equinoct
Penguin Classics Personal Narrative Of A Journey To The Equinoct
by Humboldt Alexander Von
Price: CDN$ 15.16
32 used & new from CDN$ 4.82

4.0 out of 5 stars My Opinion Thusly, March 3 2000
I have to admit that just as I was starting to savour this thin slip of a book I found that it was, indeed, mere selections. The whole narrative is actually three volumes, over four hundred pages a volume. I was left with a craven empty feeling like a fiend for his needle. Humboldt's writing presages Thoreau and through him ponders the transcendent raptures of the natural world. Reading through the visit to the Caribs reminded me of my visits to the Grenadines where their presence is still redolent in the shadows under the almond trees. I felt that I had imbibed the same air as Humboldt.

Cluetrain Manifesto
Cluetrain Manifesto
by et al Levine
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hometown Boy Makes Good!, Jan. 15 2000
This review is from: Cluetrain Manifesto (Hardcover)
I've known Chris Locke since a neighborhood dude introduced me to him after we'd all dropped out of college to find ourselves with the aid of certain chemicals, leaves and assorted cacti and fungi. He had a dog that looked like the white dog from Disney on skids. He also lived life at its most shamanic for a time. I got to know him again as a lost soul wandering among the cube farms of yore. While disguised as a cunning warrior he still sustained a manic connection to the laws of absolute glee. He's taught me a lot about the funhouse mirror world of self-inflicted simulcra we work in. I know less about these other worthy gentlemen but trust they are the same exemplars of sobriety, rectitude and tact that characterizes Mr. Locke. But, what's it all about?, you say. You say you work in a world where the fastest computers and biggest monitors gather dust in executive suites? That the product managers don't understand the technology? That marketing is still lobbying to put P. T. Barnum on Mt. Rushmore and the salesmen all drive away after leaving their laptops on the bumper? Well, no use ta frettin' and pinin' , this h'yere book will do ya good. As the Firesign Theatre sez, 'it's the future, live it or live with it!'

Ball Of Fire
Ball Of Fire
Price: CDN$ 16.69
22 used & new from CDN$ 5.68

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real T'ing, Jan. 3 2000
This review is from: Ball Of Fire (Audio CD)
I have no use for ska as it is currently packaged and played, but this album rocks! I got turned on to this CD after I picked up on Ernest Ranglin. There ain't nothin' like the old masters!