Profile for Skiier > Reviews

Content by Skiier

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Skiier (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

The G.I. Diet: the Green-Light Way to Permanent Weight Loss (Revised and Updated With Forty New Recipes)
by Rick Gallop
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Diet, Dec 15 2008
Contrary to the previous reviewer's opinion, I feel this is a terrific book and a highly effective diet. Note that this is the "revised" edition (some new recipes). The earlier edition was rated 5/5 by Amazon readers.

Our family doctor recommended this diet to my wife. We are in our 50's and were struggling with our weight. We both started this diet about 18 mths ageo. Over the course of a year we lost a combined total of 95 lbs. My wife went down 4 dress sizes and I went from a 38 inch waist down to a 33.

Foods are divided into "red light", "yellow light" and "green light" categories (those to be avoided, those to be eaten occasionally and those that you can always eat). It may appear confusing that "red light" ingredients sometimes appear in "green light" recipes it's because they are only playing a "supporting role" in the dish or meal and not as the "main act".

I also recomend "The G.I.Diet Cookbook" by Rick Gallop. It contains some really delicous, quick and easy dishes.

I do agree that while artificial sweeteners may not be the best thing for you but neither is obesity. As Mr. Gallop puts it, "These products are safe and of real value in calorie control. But, as with most foods, don't go overboard."