Profile for Serious book lover > Reviews

Content by Serious book lover

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Serious book lover (Canada)

The Road (Oprah's Book Club)
The Road (Oprah's Book Club)
by Cormac McCarthy
Price: CDN$ 12.27
105 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars READ IT, July 31 2009
The book is haunting but in a good way.
The love, the cold, the damp --- are all so realistically described that you can almost feel it yourself.
As the mother of a young son --- I could hear his voice in all of the boy's words. I could understand the father's totally focussed survival instinct. While it becomes difficult to understand how he could have left those people in the cellar --- his only thought was for his son. He couldn't afford to be a 'good guy' truly. He knew that his son was the true 'good guy'. I loved the lack of slang and cursing -- it made the words clearer and harder.
Absolutely beautiful.

The Host: A Novel
The Host: A Novel
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: CDN$ 18.26
142 used & new from CDN$ 1.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Very engaging characters ---- great sci-fi, Jan. 29 2009
This review is from: The Host: A Novel (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and like other reviewers recognized Ms.Meyer's ability to keep us 'on the edge of our seats' and really care for the characters. I am in my 40's and never really understood the line between youth and adult fiction. There is a real similarity between Host and the Twilight series in the dialogue style and how she is able through relatively simple writing convey the depth of the characters and their environment. Ms Meyer's writing is simple - she is not a literary giant and yet I always find myself laughing or even crying during one of her novels. I think it is her ability to voice the kind of thoughts that we would feel ourselves if we were in these fictional situations.
I also am so relieved that she does not have that irritating 'dark' habit of having to end everything in tragedy. Her endings are unexpected but not necessarily sad and she never leaves you wondering, "what happened to...". I am so thankful for that. Like another reviewer -- I found myself smiling at the end and wondering about a sequel. I would love to see what happens to Earth with the growing rebel outposts and the Souls that have 'gone native'.
Kudos Ms. Meyers.

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years
Home: A Memoir of My Early Years
by Julie Andrews
Price: CDN$ 23.16
82 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this, June 26 2008
I admit it -- I've always loved Julie Andrews. What I loved about this memoir however was how real the anecdotes were. The book ends long before her Mary Poppins and Sound of Music days and fills us with colourful pictures from her childhood. Often we think that icons are 'just made', but Julie Andrews lets us see all of the work, difficulty and grind of getting to success. Unlike other autobiographies however, the reader isn't left feeling grimy and sad. You can almost hear her bright cheerful voice throughout the whole book. It feels like a natural journal interspersed with little musings, discussions about small things she loved and things she found humourous. You realize that a biographer would have removed these things --- but they are what make this memoir so lovely and so like her.
After reading this memoir, I admired her even more and never lost my earlier love for all of her work and her music. I can't wait until the next memoir of the later years is published.

The Final Warning: A Maximum Ride Novel
The Final Warning: A Maximum Ride Novel
by James Patterson
Price: CDN$ 16.79
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - nowhere near as exciting as the first 3, June 26 2008
I agree with several of the other reviewers. This book was too short and the global warming message a) didn't seem to match the characters very well and b)was 'canned' comments.
The other problems with this novel is that it felt like a "filler" novel --- something to keep us readers busy while a fifth novel was being written. There are so many enemies -- the Uber-director, the government,possibly Jeb - but little characterization like the previous novels. Nothing really happens. We can never really hate or feel for them as we did for Ari and Jeb earlier. Jeb's character doesn't grow and little is revealed. He spends most of the novel giving "sad looks". The new robots just don't have enough context to make them interesting. Nothing is introduced or resolved in this book: Max and Fang's relationship, Jeb's sighing, Dr. Martinez, Max's feelings about Jeb (how can you ever forgive someone for keeping you in a dog cage???), the mutations.
I have really enjoyed the books up to this point and am still looking forward to the next one. I would like to see some things explained for instance how Max knows about things like 'sauerkraut' and the other children don't -- when she was in a cage like the rest of them, growing up?
For the most part the series has been interesting -- hopefully in the fifth book they will bring back the emotional side and the betrayals that made the first three such wonderful, suspenseful books.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
by Mark Haddon
Price: CDN$ 14.40
90 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and surprising, Aug. 26 2004
Unlike some of the recent novels I have read, this book does not rely on sentimental journeys into the past: the 1960's or the 1970's. The prose is crisp and the descriptions are specific. Working in mental health, I was pleased to see that the narrator's likes, dislikes and behaviours were not overly explained and were treated more as eccentricities. The story was acutely respectful without seeming 'politically correct'. The fact that the narrator may or may not be autistic was not the key factor to the novel and that made it all the more refreshing. Basically - it was a good story, well written and unique. I would recommend it to everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed it.