Profile for R3aLiTY_bYt3s > Reviews

Content by R3aLiTY_bYt3s
Top Reviewer Ranking: 226

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R3aLiTY_bYt3s "R3aLiTY_bYt3s" (Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Avery White File Folder Labels, Padded, Pack of 160 (45203)
Avery White File Folder Labels, Padded, Pack of 160 (45203)
Price: CDN$ 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm stuck on these :-), Dec 4 2014
I've had no complaints with these, which is rare considering the very poor quality of many other brands of labels. These ones stick to cardboard boxes, plastic, paper, and don't peel off. However, when I wanted to change the placement of labels on the over-the-door plastic and vinyl shoe holder I use to store my electronics recharging cords, I had no trouble removing these labels. They even stuck on the new spots (I thought I'd have to write out new labels, but no).
I find they're just the right size for my/our needs, writing on them with ink or ballpoint or pencil is easy, they don't tear easily, they have no adhesive odour. I think they're great.

Pyrex 6-Piece Glass Rectangular Storage Set with Blue Lids
Pyrex 6-Piece Glass Rectangular Storage Set with Blue Lids
Price: CDN$ 19.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 19.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't kill these, Dec 4 2014
I prefer storing leftovers or meals in the freezer or the fridge in glass and BPA-free plastic, so I ordered this set. The smaller one is a perfect size. I found the larger ones too large for most of my needs (single, no pets, no kids), but I use them anyway.
I love the fact these lids are blue, not red like in every local store here (I hate red). My set has been repeatedly frozen, thawed, used for some non-food purposes, repeatedly gone through the dishwasher (hot water, normal cycle, heated dry cycle, top and bottom racks including lids on bottom rack) and after about half a year of this, the lids still have not warped or absorbed any colours or odours (the lids have no plastic stink of their own), and the set still looks like new. Even the glass bottom I accidentally dropped on the kitchen floor (after it bounced off the edge of the counter). No all-plastic containers (even Lock & Lock) have stood up half this long or half as well.
If the lids fit better along the sides, I'd give them 5 stars.

Ginkgo 70042-9 Charlie Flatware Set, Service for 8 Plus 2-Piece Hostess Set, 42-Piece
Price: CDN$ 131.07
4 used & new from CDN$ 131.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready to throw away your ugly, speckled flatware?, Dec 4 2014
I ordered this set months ago and use them every day. My knives, forks, spoons go through the dishwasher daily, sometimes some sit overnight and food gets really stuck on (think petrified mashed or scalloped potatoes, muffin batter, etc), have been used to scrape pots, have been dropped on the floor, accidentally put through a vinegar rinse in the dishwasher, accidentally gone through the dishwasher for about a month before I realized the dishwasher was out of Jet Dry (and the water here is hard and leaves scales on most things), but these beauties look as polished and perfect as the day I first unwrapped them. I admit, my place is pet-free and child-free, but accident-prone and sometimes forgetful lady bachelors can be very hard on household items too.
It's a shame the seller shipped them wrapped only in thin plastic wrap though, and one serving spoon arrived with a deep scratch in it.. the packaging looks like crahp, and this flatware set deserves better.
This flatware replaced my so-called "quality" flatware from Stokes and Ikea that looked like hell after less than a dozen uses/washes (both stores repeatedly contradicted their advice/excuses and refused to replace or refund my money). I Really like the look (the design, the weight, the shinyness) of this "Charlie" flatware. I like the fact the knives are just sharp enough, but not "Omg! Help me find my finger!" sharp. However.. the fork tines are extremely sharp! I've accidentally maimed myself with the forks several times, including a couple of very deep punctures in my lip (hey, You try eating and playing Skyrim at the same time! :p ) and a fork that stuck in the top of my foot for several seconds before falling off, so I imagine a toddler or young kid could do some real damage with one of these forks.
My nearest and dearest likes this set so much, I plan to buy her a set.

GOMCONSOLE Vertical Stand Holder for Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Slim Black
GOMCONSOLE Vertical Stand Holder for Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Slim Black
Offered by GOMO
Price: CDN$ 45.98

5.0 out of 5 stars It works.., Dec 4 2014
Not much that can be said about a console stand other than "it works" for the PS3 slim. Seems sturdy, holds it well. No cheap plastic stink. Didn't mark up my tv stand.

20 Blue Peony Flower Seeds Paeonia Potted Home Garden Plant
20 Blue Peony Flower Seeds Paeonia Potted Home Garden Plant
Offered by Big Bargain Store CA
Price: CDN$ 4.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, Dec 4 2014
I planted one seed per pot, but with no instructions of any kind, it was a guessing game as to which type of soil to use, how often to water, etc. After more than a month, whether in sandy-soil mix, peat-soil mix, 100% soil mix (Miracle Gro), watered when the soil was dry, in sun, warm location, cool location, or under a sun lamp, not one seed sprouted. I finally emptied several pots and most of them seemed to contain only a shell of a seed. My place is pet-free, child-free, practical joker-free, and the soil and sand and peat were store-bought and don't have bugs that have eaten other seeds, so.. I'm not impressed that the seeds came to nothing, especially since I had hoped to get them well established and donate most of them to the Muttart Conservatory here in Edmonton, Alberta. I couldn't find info on this type of peony online, so I don't know what went wrong.

The Book Thief (Bilingual)
The Book Thief (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Geoffrey Rush
Price: CDN$ 9.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Book "Borrower", Dec 4 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Bilingual) (DVD)
Other reviewers have summed up the plot of this film than I could ("a girl's wartime (mis)adventures" just doesn't do it justice), so I'll just state opinions.

I saw this film once, and once was enough. It started off (in my opinion) like a kids film, with a narrator who seemed all smiles.. until you figure out who it is and then it seems at once extremely creepy and extremely out of place/inappropriate. I haven't read the book, nor will I, but I think the film would've been much stronger and better without the.. uh.. "narrator".

But the young female lead is a pleasure to watch (not just a charmer, but very talented too), and the rest of the cast was excellent. And I was surprised and pleased to see a much more realistic film set during World War 2. It had small lapses, but it's infinitely better than most films set during the war.. for example, a film set in England that shows the average family having ready access to sugar, chocolate, ice cream cones, lots of meats and produce in shops, etc (Never Happened!), or houses at night with bright windows (if you didn't have and always use Thick heavy curtains or board up windows so there was zero light escaping at night, you were in deeep doodoo with everyone including your neighbours because a blackout was needed to make it harder for planes to accurately drop bombs/navigate/see towns), and so on.
With so much of 20th-century history being sanitized and inaccurately re-written, those who don't know what things were truly like will think things weren't so bad. Things were far, far worse than most people could imagine. This film helps with it's realism, such as the randomness of bombings and who lived/who died, realistic looking bombed out buildings, hasty burials, the confusion and desperation of wartime, the internal or moral struggles of good people sucked in by evil but not giving in entirely (such as the woman who lets the girl use the library), and so on.

I had an eye infection when I watched this film, so I actually appreciated the fact I cried several times during the film. I liked the ending. I liked the basement scenes. I liked several of the main characters. But it's such a sad film, I just don't want to see it again. It's a film that sticks with you. But sometimes that's not always a good thing. I didn't get teary after watching it, but a friend was still crying over it like a week later. But he's the sensitive type.

Skyrim Legendary Edition - PlayStation 3
Skyrim Legendary Edition - PlayStation 3
Price: CDN$ 34.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time best games, Nov. 26 2014
I don't know what I can add that other reviewers haven't mentioned, but I have to say something.. after all, this is Skyrim!
I love the foldable paper map that's included. I think it looks good enough to frame.
I love the free DLC content, although if I'd known (**spoiler alert!**) some of the main NPCs (non playable characters) can get killed off (for example the vampire DLC causes random vampire attacks/random NPC deaths of some people you depend on to sell your loot to or buy from), then I would have played the game through to the end and Then downloaded the DLC instead of downloading it when I first started the game.
If you enjoy RPG (role playing games), dragons, adventure, beautiful scenery, making your own character, then you'll probably love this game. If you want to change your character's hair/face, get irate or upset if your horse or dog gets killed off, or if you don't like gore or some ooogly looking villains, then give this game a miss.
I try to overlook the gore and just enjoy the game. I like that the story unfolds based on the choices I make, that I can explore as I wish, do the main missions now or later, do side missions as I wish and when I wish, and just wander at will. I like being able to "fast-travel" between locations I've discovered (some days I'm just not in the mood for being randomly attacked by gigantic killer spiders, wolves, bears, necromancers, thieves, etc. when I just want to go from point A to point B to sell some loot, then go back to point A). I like that I don't have to kill wolves, bears, etc.. I can run from them.
I like that I can make frequent game saves in addition to auto saves.
I like that I can adjust gameplay difficulty as I want to (even mid-battle), can pause the game or change weapons or magic powers even mid-battle, can use in-game coins to purchase homes and property, can have a wife and adopt a kid or two.
I prefer exploring the above-ground side of Skyrim, although the below-ground areas such as caves, caverns, snow caves, ruins can be interesting too.
I started playing this game while recovering from unexpected emergency major surgery and it truly took my mind off everything. It's an absorbing, addictive game that can be burned through in idk.. maybe 100 hours.. or savoured for over 1,000 hours. I've passed the 125 hours played mark and I've only done 3 or 4 of the main missions, perhaps 20 of the side missions, and have only explored a fraction of Skyrim. And I've had a blast! I've also dealt with some emotional garbage, such as the nasty feelings that got stirred up when a NPC tried to mug me (I've been mugged irl and never really talked to anyone about it until now).
I think this game's one flaw is that it doesn't have an online multiplayer component, although I understand ESO ( Elder Scrolls Online ) will offer online multiplayer that will include Skyrim. But as far as i know ESO will only be on PS4 and PC.
If you enjoy gaming or need a temporary escape from reality, I think you owe it to yourself to give Skyrim a try.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Standard Edition: Prima Official Game Guide
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Standard Edition: Prima Official Game Guide
by David Hodgson
Price: CDN$ 21.31
26 used & new from CDN$ 21.31

2.0 out of 5 stars Could've been better, Nov. 26 2014
I tried hard to like this book but I still don't like the disjointed layout, the sometimes erroneous and/or uunclear info for certain tasks or missions, the maps (including a large foldable map that has, for example 5.1 or 3.4 listed on the map instead of the place name like Dawnstar or Riverwood, even though there's enough room on the map and looking up names on the index or having to flip the map over is a pain), or incomplete info.
Ultimately, I found far better and more thorough game help on the internet (look on google).
I'm an average gamer and I like to just play a game and enjoy it, but with games like Skyrim I sometimes get stuck (or lost because I have the same crud sense of direction in gameplay as I do irl) and instead of stressing or getting rid of a game, I will ask friends or look up whatever it is I'm stuck on.
As for getting rid of this book.. well.. it's extremely thick and very heavy, so it's cost-prohibitive to mail it to anyone, so until I decide to recycle or upcycle it somehow, it's gathering dust.

Docooler Vertical Stand Holder Base for Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Slim Console CECH-4000 Series by docooler
Offered by docooler
Price: CDN$ 15.19
3 used & new from CDN$ 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, Nov. 26 2014
This item fit my PS3 Slim Crystal, even though I was skeptical when I first saw it.
I didn't expect to have to use a screwdriver, but attaching it was easy and quick.
I was delighted to find this stand, because I thought it was included with my PS3 Slim Crystal console when I bought the console (it's pictured on the console box, but in tiny, tiny print on one side of the box it states the stand isn't included; no local stores carried it.. not even the local Sony store), and I prefer my console in the upright position.

Colorful Silicone LOOM BANDS - 600 Bands & 25 "S" Clips!
Colorful Silicone LOOM BANDS - 600 Bands & 25 "S" Clips!
Offered by BILL MIKE (14-28 Days Delivery)
Price: CDN$ 3.26
6 used & new from CDN$ 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great latex-free alternative for allergy sufferers, Nov. 26 2014
As someone with an increasingly severe latex allergy, I was glad to find this latex-free alternative to rubber bands. These are almost as stretchy as the latex rubber band variety, and they don't hurt your hand when they break (I did the "how far can I stretch this?" test early on).
I mainly use these to wrap around power cords in storage (not too tight, though.. don't want to damage the cords), but friends and my nearest and dearest (I divided this package between us) have used them for hair styling, grouping/securing visitor passes at a busy office building, securing cling wrap to the tops of jars, and many other things. We all agree these bands hold up well to daily use.
If you're looking for something with more "snap" to use as a wrist band reminder, or to nail someone in the head or arm (hey, most of us have done that at some point, lol), then these aren't the bands for you. They stretch, but they're not quite as springy/snappy as latex rubber bands.
I can live with that.