summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry
Profile for Jennifer K. > Reviews

Content by Jennifer K.
Top Reviewer Ranking: 363

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jennifer K. (Alberta, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Zoo Med Terrarium Moss 10 Gallon
Zoo Med Terrarium Moss 10 Gallon
Price: CDN$ 7.61
13 used & new from CDN$ 6.54

1.0 out of 5 stars REALLY, Zoo Med?!, May 29 2016
First of all, I was particularly unimpressed by the fact this product's box wasn't factory sealed appropriately (just a narrow flap that slips inside the box, not even a safety sticker tab to be seen) and this caused bits of moss and what I will refer to as moss dust (bits of moss mashed into.. well.. dust) to completely cover EVERYTHING else inside the Amazon shipping box (thanks, guys :p ) and spill out the seams of the Amazon shipping box.
Of what remained of the product, I found actual dirt, including small clumps of dirt, as well as thick twigs and other debris thoroughly mixed in with the moss (including a piece of unidentifiable plastic trash) in the moss/attached to the moss. I thought about the PITA factor in shipping it back as a return, then decided to pick through it and clean it before using it as cover for exposed soil in a very large indoor plant pot containing a palm tree. But if I'd realized how long it would take to clean up the moss, I would've returned it. And if I was planning to use it for a pet reptile or amphibian or whatever, I most definitely would have returned it and not used it. I reasonably expected moss sold as pet bedding would be clean and relatively free of at least larger debris (and with no plastic bits in it!), with the product weight being made up of moss, not dirt clumps and twigs along with moss. I'm very disappointed, and I won't buy this brand again. And I'm sure the softcover books that were packed in the Amazon shipping box along with this box of moss didn't somehow transfer dirt or twigs or plastic bits to the moss.

Fifty Shades of Grey Nothing But Sensation Nipple Suckers, 2 Count
Fifty Shades of Grey Nothing But Sensation Nipple Suckers, 2 Count
Price: CDN$ 15.33
3 used & new from CDN$ 15.33

5.0 out of 5 stars These solved a furniture issue for me :), April 17 2016
I never thought I'd buy something marketed for nipples, but I had been looking everywhere locally for something that would fit the ends of oddly shaped and rounded end table legs that were not latex, as I'm highly allergic to latex. These nipples whatzits fit perfectly, and prevent the end table leg ends from scratching or digging into the floor in my rental apartment. I plan to paint these nipple things soon, likely with gold metallic paint.
They are indeed soft but sturdy as the product page claims (in case you want these for their actual stated purpose), and they are odour-free.

Irrationally Yours: On Missing Socks, Pickup Lines, and Other Existential Puzzles
by Dan Ariely
Price: CDN$ 14.68
31 used & new from CDN$ 6.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think; starts conversations, Feb. 23 2016
I received this book as a gift and while I don't agree with some of the observations made or advice given in this series of essays, the book made me think. Think about the topics, about the people who asked the questions, about why a few questions were answered at all, and about whether or not I agreed with the answers given. Friends and family felt the need to weigh in with their opinions, and what a lot of long conversations we've had! (Not to mention verbal side-trips).
This book has been called "light" reading by several other reviewers and I suppose in one way it is but, on the other hand, it's about a hundred weighty moral and ethical conversations waiting to happen.
I enjoyed this book, but one read-through was enough. Just as well, since friends have already borrowed it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, shiny, sweet, Feb. 22 2016
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I couldn't be happier with these ice cube tongs. They're sturdier (and shinier) than I thought they might be, the ends are sharp enough to grab and hold ice cubes easily, and they're holding up very well in spite of going through the dishwasher several times (bottom rack, alone in the utensils tray, hot wash, hot rinse, heated dry cycle), being frozen in my BPA-free ice cube holder/box, being dropped a couple of times, and making it through the often Extremely rough postal system from England to Canada wrapped only in a plastic film "envelope" (shame on the seller!).
I've been using these tongs for a couple of months and am very happy with them.
The only downside: If you keep the metal tongs in the freezer and your fingers are damp when you go to use them, expect your fingers to momentarily stick to the tongs :p However, it's not nearly as bad as when ice cubes stick to your fingers. (I wash my hands before handling anything that goes into drinks, but obviously don't always dry them well enough/long enough).

The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone--Especially Ourselves
The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone--Especially Ourselves
by Dan Ariely
Price: CDN$ 16.61
32 used & new from CDN$ 10.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Great conversation starter, Feb. 22 2016
As someone with Asperger's, I've always struggled to understand why people lie, how they keep track of their lies (or, if they don't, how they then cover their lies with more lies), why so many people are happy to believe lies, and corruption in general. A friend got this book for me, but I've found it very tough to try to get through. (Tough as in having to sometimes go page by page with friends to ask for their input so I can wrap my mind around certain concepts and ideas).
I don't know if everyone with Asperger's finds lying irrational and confusing, but I always have, and while I think I have a somewhat better understanding now of lies and corruption (thanks in large part to this book and subsequent conversations with friends), the whole concept still baffles, confuses, and angers me. (Angers me because lying still makes no sense, is confusing, and I've had to go to extraordinary lengths to try to protect myself from lies other people tell, such as having to tape conversations with certain people to prove I correctly remember* a conversation and didn't agree to this or that, or didn't yell at someone, etc). *I read The Invisible Gorilla a few years ago, so I understand that many people misremember and delude themselves about a lot of things, but The Honest Truth goes much further and deeper.
I think the subject matter is very unpleasant, but needs to be read. However, the reader should make up their own mind about what to believe and accept. For example, I think the observations about tolerance of corruption and lies in government are very good, but many sweeping statements about other things are nonsense as not everyone is the same. Or.. is stating, "Everyone does [this or that]" meant to be an example of a convincing lie? You decide. But if you're a neurotypical, I think you'll have a much easier time reading and understanding this book. It gave me a headache.

500 Casseroles: The Only Casserole Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Series Cookbooks)
by Rebecca Baugniet
Price: CDN$ 23.17
31 used & new from CDN$ 3.33

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for unlimited budgets in NYC USA, Dec 14 2015
It's been a long time since I've been this disappointed with a book. I try to not expect much from cookbooks, but this cookbook still managed to disappoint me. Why?
The size (about the same height and width as a CD case) doesn't bother me, although it's an odd and awkward size for a cookbook.
The number of pages (with about 1/3rd of the pages filled only with possible substitutions, recipe by recipe, which would have been better placed *on* the actual recipe page for each recipe instead of in separate sections) is wasteful and poorly thought out, but obviously the author and editor wanted it this way, so it doesn't really bother me.
What _does_ bother me (why I think this book stinks) is that most of these recipes call for exotic, expensive, hard-to-find (or impossible to find) ingredients, and a well stocked liquor cabinet. I think if most people could find or afford hard or impossible to find cheeses, cuts of meat, types of meat and fresh seafoods (fresh quail, rabbit, boneless legs of lamb, pounds of fresh lobster and crabs, fresh mussels in shells, fresh squid, etc), vegetables and fungi (fresh morels for example), and spices (fresh saffron, garam masala, etc), they certainly wouldn't drown them in cups of red wine, 'pale ale', white wine, sherry, cream, etc in a casserole.
Some of the ingredients and measurements are perplexing ('smoked paprika', 'Italian parsley', 'Spanish paprika', 'Chesapeake seasoning blend', 'Italian sausage', 'Hungarian paprika', 'German sausages', 'large pinch of saffron threads').
I had to Google some ingredients (prosciutto, tamari, pancetta, Arborio rice, Vidalia onions, Emmental cheese, fontina, gremolata, cremini mushrooms, annatto powder, for example) as I had no idea what they are or where to find them.
Ingredients such as 'packet of onion soup mix', 'packet of taco seasoning', and so forth were.. confusing. Which size of packet? Why not simply list spices for a cook to mix together?
I think if you have an unlimited food budget, are not watching calories, enjoy "slumming it" by having casseroles, and live in a U.S. uber city like NYC, your personal chef might enjoy this book. However, if you're on a budget, if you're looking for basic, tasty casserole recipes, or if you live in a major Canadian city, this is NOT a book you will use or enjoy.
I can't imagine I'll be able to make any of these recipes, and I can't even think of anyone who might like this book as a gift. What a waste.

Dress My Cupcake DMC41WT956 Washi Decorative Tape for Gifts and Favors, Vintage Butterflies
Price: CDN$ 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, Dec 6 2015
The tape I received doesn't have a light yellowish background, it looks like a dirty light amber colour, and the butterflies look blurry (looks like the printing wasn't done properly) and garish. It just doesn't look like the product page picture, and I'm very disappointed.

Ikea Oradd, Ceramic Beige Flower Plant Pot Set of 3
Ikea Oradd, Ceramic Beige Flower Plant Pot Set of 3

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Oct. 18 2015
These are sleek plastic pots that a) are rigid and can break and crack fairly easily, and b) turn colour from off-white/beige to a sickly, uneven yellow colour in less than 60 days in direct sunlight. Very disappointing :(

Esschert Design USA W4008 Secrets Du Potager Paper Pot Maker
Esschert Design USA W4008 Secrets Du Potager Paper Pot Maker
Price: CDN$ 17.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped for, Oct. 18 2015
I had high hopes for this item. I thought I'd make lots and lots of pots from old newspapers for friends who start seeds indoors and transplant seedlings into their gardens. I believe it was Oscar Wilde who wrote, "No good deed goes unpunished." True.
The first thing I noticed (from included instruction sheet) was that the process would take several steps and require precise measuring and cutting. In other words, it'd be finicky.
Then I noticed how rough the wood was. After I removed several splinters from my hands, I sanded the two pieces of wood. And sanded. Not easy to do given the shape of the pieces. I noticed the wood seemed extremely dry, and was beginning to develop small cracks.
After much measuring and cutting, I tried to make a newspaper pot. Around attempt ten, I gave up. The pots either didn't crimp together well enough to stay together, or, if I used more pressure, I couldn't remove the new pot without tearing it.
A friend suggested I use varnish on the two pieces of wood to make them smoother, so (ideally) the pots would come off easily.
After seven coats of varnish (did I mention the wood was unusually dry?), the set is smooth and sleek. And still gives the same problems as before.
After hours of attempts, lots of wasted newspaper, and sore (and inky!) hands, I gave up. I gave the few pots that turned out to a friend, who later reluctantly told me the (double thick as well as single thickness) pots didn't even stand up to soil being gently scooped into them.
I'm sorry I wasted so much of my time, energy, and money (including the varnish, brush, and sandpaper).
I'm sorry this manufacturer came up with this product.
And I'm sorry I got my hopes up that this might be a nice little thing to do (making seedling pots) for friends.

Neenah AstroBright Color Laser/Inkjet Paper, 24-Pound, 8.5 x 11-Inch, 500 Sheets, Red
Offered by UrbanInspirations
Price: CDN$ 21.00
10 used & new from CDN$ 16.67

1.0 out of 5 stars "Re-Entry Red", not plain old primary colour red, Sept. 25 2015
I thought this would be the closest to a plain old primary red in colour (vs Rocket Red), but a Re-Entry Red sheet in person doesn't look the same as
a) the product information photo,
b) actual primary red from a different paper brand, or
c) a sheet of Re-Entry Red (same brand) a friend gave me from her order a few months ago.
My Re-Entry Red paper has almost as much of an orangey, salmon hue to it as Rocket Red, and I must admit, I'm disappointed.
Other than the disappointing colour, the paper has a nice feel to it and seems sturdy, not thin and flimsy (like for example school looseleaf paper).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20