ARRAY(0xa982f840)

Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 570

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer "R3aLiTY_bYt3s" (Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
German For Dummies
German For Dummies
by Paulina Christensen
32 used & new from CDN$ 1.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everyone, But I Like It, July 30 2012
This review is from: German For Dummies (Paperback)
I agree with some reviewers that this book isn't the best thought-out or laid-out book. It doesn't help the learner with the German alphabet, doesn't help you become literate, really, and leaves many unanswered questions, but if you want to start speaking German right away, this is a good book.

I think this book is MUCH better than the Berlitz course book and other "learn German" courses/books/CDs on the market.

I like the little factoids about Germany, German people, and so forth. I like the "cheat sheet" in the front of the book. I like the way the words and sentences are put to the learner slowly and are fairly easy to pronounce. I like that almost right away I could be speaking German.

However, I should mention I spoke German as a child in Austria, so I may not have the same problems non-German speakers have in forming the words or understand sentence structure. I may have had an easier time than some getting through this book, I admit it.

I bought a copy of this book for a friend who grew up hearing some German (from his grandparents) and he too was able to pick it up (again) fairly quickly. But again, he had previous exposure to and experience with German.

Still, I think this is one of the best books on the market, and I'm sure you could glean a lot from the pages (and the CD), even if in the end you want more.

Dutch For Dummies
Dutch For Dummies
by Margreet Kwakernaak
Price: CDN$ 18.80
42 used & new from CDN$ 16.39

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Resource, July 30 2012
This review is from: Dutch For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this as a gift for someone who grew up speaking some Dutch but hadn't learned a lot or kept up with it.

This book was at the time (2008) the only Dutch language for beginnners book I could find, and I wasn't sure what it would be like, but the recipient of this gift was thrilled with it and soon got back into the groove... just in time to go to Holland.

The only comments were:

1) The book seems to presume you already have a familiarity with Dutch, and

2) The book and CD are fast-paced, and the speakers on the CD speak fast.

If you're already familiar (at least somewhat) with Dutch or are a fast learner with a good ear, then this seems the ideal learning resource for you.

The dictionary may be limited, but it does offer the basics, which is most all you need until you go to Holland and pick up a more comprehensive dictionary (or get a relative in Holland to send you one).

One warning I would offer from personal experience learning just a few basic Dutch words: have some throat losenges on hand! Dutch is a very "throaty" language!

Chinese For Dummies
Chinese For Dummies
by Wendy Abraham
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Mandarin, not Cantonese (in case you're wondering), July 30 2012
This review is from: Chinese For Dummies (Paperback)
I found this set to be too difficult. I think it's more advanced than the Chinese for Dummies Audio Set by Mengjun Liu and Mike Packevicz (also available on Amazon.ca), and the people speaking on this CD are going way too fast. I was disappointed with this product, but that's me. You may not feel the same way at all. I'm disappointed because it a) wasn't Cantonese, which was what I was looking for, and b) because it seems advanced and not a "Dummies" version. I know Mandarin is a complex language, but give us a fighting chance!!

Before I continue, I should mention the language offered here is Mandarin, not Cantonese. The product description and cover of this book don't mention that fact.

If you're already somewhat familiar with Mandarin (for example if this is more of a refresher thing for you) and/or you're a really fast learner with a real ear for spoken word, then this book/CD would probably do just fine for you.

If you need things a little slower and easier, try the Liu/Packevicz edition.

9 to 5 (Comment se débarrasser de son patron) (Full Screen Sexist, Egotistical, Lying, Hypocritical Bigot Edition)
DVD ~ Jane Fonda
Price: CDN$ 6.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic, July 30 2012
Who hasn't smiled or tapped their fingers when they've heard the title song of this film?
The lyrics, like this film, are timeless.

I was a child when I first saw this film and I didn't remember anything about it, except for the cartoon sequence, and I ordered this DVD on a whim. I'm glad I did!

Some of the laughs are bittersweet (things in the canadian workplace haven't changed all that much, recent news stories suggest that companies/employers in Canada now have the "you've come as far as we want you to, baby" (instead of the old refrain, 'you've come a long way, baby'), and Canada hasn't progressed as far as most U.S. states have), but there are a lot of non-bittersweet laughs to be found in this film.

The characters and plot are timeless, which I think is the main reason this film continues to be a hit with people in so many countries over the decades.
Who HASN'T at some point worked in a job (office job or not) where there's a mean boss, a boss who'll stab you in the back and steal your ideas to get ahead, a boss's pet who can do no wrong, a snoopy co-worker, a co-worker who everyone says is sharing the boss's bed, the threat of downsizing, you're overworked/overlooked/underappreciated/underpaid, a boss or co-worker who degrades you by calling you a filthy name, and so forth. The issues and problems are timeless and people don't truly change, so this film will continue to be a hit for decades to come, I'm sure.

Three unlikely (female) characters in this film slowly become friends and their friendship (and the resulting decision to get what's owed them) changes each of their lives, changes the lives of those around them, and changes the company they work for.

The ways in which they choose to get what's rightfully theirs are funny, unique, interesting, ingenious, and crazy... and watching the characters develop and blossom is an absolute thrill.

If you haven't already seen this film, you absolutely have to see it! The only thing you'll regret is not having already watched it/enjoyed it years ago.

Die Hard Collection
Die Hard Collection
DVD ~ DVD
7 used & new from CDN$ 13.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Not The Complete Collection, July 30 2012
This review is from: Die Hard Collection (DVD)
I wish the people who released this set had waited till the fourth film was released (they had to know it was in the works) and then released this set, but they didn't wait, so this set contains the first three Die Hard films.

We love Die Hard 1 and watch it every xmas eve. The DVD in this set replaced our third worn out/over-watched VHS version of the hit.

We watched some of the items on the Special Features/Bonus disc, but we could take it or leave it. We felt the same about Die Hard 2 and 3. They were nastier, grittier, ruder, and gorier than the first one (or the fourth one).

We love Die Hard 4 and watch it every July 4th (bought it separately). Although it isn't included in this set, I think this set is still a good set, and you may find the Special Features enjoyable. But if you like it lighter and brighter, so to speak, you may want to just buy Die Hard 1 and Die Hard 4 ("Live Free or Die Hard").

Chinese For Dummies Audio Set
Chinese For Dummies Audio Set
by Mengjun Liu
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 17.32
31 used & new from CDN$ 11.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Moving, July 30 2012
I think this is by far one of the best "learn Chinese" courses out there.

First of all, I should mention the Chinese language taught in this course is Mandarin. Not Cantonese.
The product description doesn't mention this fact, and the book cover doesn't mention it either. You have to get several pages into the book before it's mentioned in passing.

I found the layout of the book easy, the voices on the CDs easy to understand, but for me, I found the voices were too fast. Yes, I'm admitting I'm too stupid to follow a "For Dummies" course. Go ahead. Laugh. Get it out of your system.

Okay, back to my review.

I would have liked the speakers to go slower, perhaps saying each sentence bit by bit, instead of so quickly all I heard was "My boot foh", instead of the whole sentence. After a while, I got tired of replaying the segments over and over.
The book offered some help (looking at the sentences as I heard what was said on the CDs), but it was still a bit like picking out an individual shot in a machine gun barrage. Then again, that's Mandarin for you. Some languages are kind of like machine gun fire, while others take their time.

All in all, my issues seemed to be with the language, not this course. But I do wish the speakers on the CDs had spoken slower.

Consulting For Dummies
Consulting For Dummies
by Bob Nelson
Price: CDN$ 13.00
25 used & new from CDN$ 6.92

3.0 out of 5 stars A Canadian Version Would Be Better, July 30 2012
This review is from: Consulting For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a very thorough book and it does offer many great ideas and plans, however I found it "too American", if you know what I mean.

I had high hopes for this book, but then found so much of it wasn't applicable for starting a consulting business in Canada. It wasn't just the way things were worded.

For ideas and inspiration, I think this is a good book. But for practicality, not so good.

If I lived in America and wanted to start a consulting firm there, this would be one of my bibles. But I don't, and I can't, so this book has actually been passed along to a friend (for inspiration), and I don't want it back.

Stott-Secret To Weight Los
Stott-Secret To Weight Los
DVD ~ Moira Merrithew; PJ O'Clair
Price: CDN$ 19.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 16.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Not For The Faint Of Heart, July 30 2012
This review is from: Stott-Secret To Weight Los (DVD)
If you don't mind pushing yourself and the limits of your body (or pushing your sense of coordination), then this is the DVD for you.

The DVD seems short (45 minutes) until you see what's involved. I found the DVD very challenging (and not just because I pulled a groin muscle or two the first time out -- OW!), mainly because it nearly kills me (literally and figuratively) to try to be as quick and as coordinated as the leader of this excercise programme.

I accidentally poked myself in the eye (more than once), fell over a coffee table, and pulled a muscle somewhere even more embarrassing than my groin. I spent a lot of time pressing the rewind button in order to master certain movements.

I know that after a workout, I felt too tired to want to eat, so I guess that's where the whole weight loss thing comes in.

If you're one of those elegant, coordinated types (and you probably have delicate, narrow feet too, dang it) who picks up routines quickly, then you'll have a great time with this DVD. If you're like me, then it'll be a love-hate relationship, and you'll be lucky to finish the programme without needing an ice pack or two. Or a new coffee table.

Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl
Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl
by Debra Ollivier
Price: CDN$ 11.19
77 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I'll Do Things My Way, Thanks All The Same, July 29 2012
A lot has already been written about this book and the advice contained therein, but I would like to add that while some of what's in this book is just plain common sense, I didn't like the drive to make women more like any other woman (or nation of women).

I prefer to find my own style, my own way of doing things, and to be true to my own ethnicity and my own heritage.

So many people (especially women) try so hard to be what they're not, and then wonder why they can't trust their own judgement or instincts. (Because we've been taught and brainwashed to believe we're not OK as who and what we already ARE, therefore our way of thinking must be flawed as well, so what business do we have to follow our gut or our heart). Don't follow your gut or your heart... think: "what would a French woman do?" (which ranks right up there with "What Would Lindsay Lohan (or other celeb of your choice) Do?") Unless you ARE a French woman or unless you are the celeb of your choice, then BE YOUrself!

Never mind trying to find your inner French girl. Try finding yourself. And be a WOMAN, not a 'girl'.

Essential: Legendary Sun Recor
Essential: Legendary Sun Recor
Price: CDN$ 17.94
19 used & new from CDN$ 6.23

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Jerry Lee, July 29 2012
This 2-CD album has all the old J.L.L. songs I was familiar with, plus many I'd never heard before. This album even includes Deep Elem Blues (a song I'd never heard but that my father quite liked), and Don't Be Cruel (both of which are in my experience impossible to find on anything but vinyl).

The sound quality is excellent, and we felt we got the flavour of the original recordings.

The price may seem steep, but for the number of tracks you get, it's well worth the cost.

Disc 1:

5. Sweet Little Sixteen
6. Sixty Minute Man
7. Breathless
8. Fools Like Me
9. Wild One (Real Wild Child)
10. It'll Be Me
11. Milkshake Mademoiselle
12. Good Rockin' Tonight
13. Jambalaya
14. You Can't Help It (I Can't Help It)
15. Break Up