Profile for R3aLiTY_bYt3s > Reviews

Content by R3aLiTY_bYt3s
Top Reviewer Ranking: 295

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R3aLiTY_bYt3s "R3aLiTY_bYt3s" (Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
ACCO Brass Plated Paper Fastener, 1-Inch Length, 100 Fasteners per Box (A7071710)
Price: CDN$ 3.66
7 used & new from CDN$ 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for holding papers together! Cover up ugly screw holes (read review), Jan. 19 2015
Not much can be said about these. They're the same colour in person as they are on the product page, good price, seem ok. I didn't buy them for the "usual" purpose (holding papers together) tho. I wanted something a little snazzy, with a big head, and not too too long to put in the ugly big screw holes in the living room wall where the curtain rods used to be in my rented apartment. These fasteners plug the ugly holes perfectly, look nice, cover the ugly screw holes, and will be easy to remove when my lease expires and I have to put the hideous curtains back up.

Household Essentials 99573 Moisture Absorber Tub, Unscented, 4.5-Ounce, Set of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Something every home should have!, Jan. 19 2015
Simple, straightforward, lightweight product that is odourless, fits easily on a shelf or behind an appliance, and does what it claims to. So naturally when I tried to order more the other day, I found Amazon no longer carries it. (Pretty much anything I really like gets discontinued almost immediately).
I like that this product is odourless, the plastic case is also odourless (although the lids can get cracked in the mail, but it's nothing a dab of Gorilla Glue can't fix), the inner foil is easy to remove (no plyers or knife or strong manly-man fingers required), and that it takes a Lot of moisture out of the air. How much? I can now have a hot shower (without the fan on) and there's no condensation on the mirrors or windows in my apartment. Ice isn't forming on the bottom part of my living room windows (and peeing onto the floor on rare days when the sun comes out). My laundry room feels dry too. I have one Moisture Absorber tub in my bathroom and one in the laundry room.
The tubs are slowly getting a bit heavier (trapped absorbed moisture), but there's still no odour, and the safety lid is spill-proof. I like that this product is low tec, and therefore not much can go wrong with it. Also, because it has no moving parts, it's silent.
The only thing I didn't count on was that my skin and lips feel a bit drier -- like when I've been in Arizona or southern California -- and I'm a bit thirstier than usual, but I can live with it. I drink an extra glass of water a day, water my plants a bit more often, and use hand cream a little more.

Household Essentials 99570 Moisture Absorber Tub with Charcoal, Unscented, 13.5-Ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Something no home should be without!, Jan. 19 2015

Germ Guardian GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Air Sanitizer
Germ Guardian GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Air Sanitizer
Price: CDN$ 40.01
13 used & new from CDN$ 40.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Great air cleaner, but it's so loud no one wants to use it, Jan. 19 2015
A friend bought one of these for me after the one I ordered got "lost" by Canada Post. I was grateful to her.. until I plugged it in. But more about that in a moment.
As an air filtration and cleaner, I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars.
It's large, as in it takes over an entire wall outlet, however the prongs swivel so you can direct the (strong!) constant blast of clean air.
I don't mind the size and I like being able to direct the stream of clean air. However.. and this is the deal-breaker.. this product is LOUD. It's certainly not 'whisper quiet' as advertised, and it's louder than 30 decibels as one reviewer guesstimated. How loud? It sounds like my vacuum cleaner is running (bare floor cycle, not power rug cycle). Loud enough to drown out ordinary conversation, make it impossible to have a phone conversation, sleep, relax, or to listen to a film or tv show. I couldn't take the constant noise in the bedroom or bathroom (can hear it through a closed door!), so it went into the front hall. Still too noisy, so I put it in the laundry room, which is at the opposite end of the apartment from my bedroom. But I can still hear it, even with the laundry room door closed. If I'm in the living room (2 rooms away from the laundry room), I can hear this product over the sounds of the washing machine and dryer.
I tried two different decibel-measure apps and found this product to be in the 60 decibels range. That's up there with restaurant noise and loud conversations. And it's Annoying.
So, minus 5 out of 5 stars for Noise. Because it doesn't have to be that loud. Because we can put probes on Mars, map the human genome, and use drones 5 miles above the earth to fire a missle to within 6 inches of it's target, so making this product quieter isn't too much to expect.
I gave this product back to my friend, who thought my hearing must just be "too good", but she and her family also found it way too loud. It kept them awake, drown out conversations, and could even be heard when put in their basement. She gave it to her mother-in-law (who is a bit hard of hearing), but even she found it too loud and didn't want to keep it or keep using it. Everyone loves it and wants to use it.. until they hear it :-(

Glad Easy-Tie Tall Kitchen Catcher with Febreze Freshness 30 Count
Glad Easy-Tie Tall Kitchen Catcher with Febreze Freshness 30 Count
Price: CDN$ 5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reasons to love these bags, Jan. 2 2015
5 reasons to love these bags:
1. They're the right size for larger garbage bins that are between the tiny bin that is mounted on the cabinet door under most people's kitchen sink size and the OMG size of outdoor household garbage bin.
2. They have a not unpleasant odour that doesn't overpower (or bother a loved one's asthma), and really does seem to neutralize nasty trash odours. I think the smell attached to the bags actually smells more pleasant when it's masking other odours.
3. They're thicker and seem stronger than the average generic or no name trash bag. They're not the overpriced stretch flex bags, but they're much sturdier and forgiving than generic bags. I only ever need one. I have to double or triple bag when using generic, so where's the sense or savings in that. These bags are plastic bags, not plastic film bags.
4. I find these easier to open. As in the end that's supposed to open, does. And easily. Unlike most generic bags, that seem to almost be glued shut like fresh produce film bags at the grocery store :p
5. They're loose in the box, not wound tightly on a roll you have to fight with and peel off, often accidentally dropping the roll on your foot :p
◇I also like the flaps at the open end, rather than having to deal with twist ties. I don't use the flaps because I tie my bags in an unusual way my father taught me, but I'm glad this product doesn't come with twist ties that launch themselves out of the box and must be stored for "some day" or thrown away because they're not supposed to go into recycling bins here.◇

Poirot: Hercule Poirot's Christmas
Poirot: Hercule Poirot's Christmas
DVD ~ Poirot/David Suchet
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 115.79
7 used & new from CDN$ 54.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Dust off the little grey cells.. and enjoy!, Jan. 2 2015
5 reasons to watch Hercule Poirot's Christmas:
1. David Suchet IS Poirot, as in the best Poirot. He and other cast members don't disappoint.
2. It's an interesting character study in -- among other things -- how people use each other. And a good reminder to never underestimate anyone.
3. Twists and turns, including the murderer's identity and motive keep the story interesting.
4. Highly annoying Capt. Hastings (Hugh Fraser) isn't in this episode. Yay!
5. It's a look back at history; at attitudes, traditions, and so forth. Such as the attitude of "You two should get along well. You're both.. foreign."
◇Hercule Poirot wishes to enjoy a quiet Christmas on his own, but when the heat in his apartment goes out unexpectedly and it won't be fixed for days, he doesn't dismiss an offer of employment for the holidays from a miserable old coot named Simeon Lee.. after Lee assures him his home has central heating, of course! Lol. Inspector Japp and his wife head to her parents' home in Wales for the holidays as Poirot travels to the Lee home, where little is as (or who) it seems.◇ We watch this every christmas holiday season. Always enjoy it.

Red 2 (Bilingual)
Red 2 (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Bruce Willis
Price: CDN$ 8.00
11 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Slower paced, but a great marathon :-), Jan. 2 2015
This review is from: Red 2 (Bilingual) (DVD)
5 reasons to love RED 2:
1. Excellent cast that obviously got along well, from younger studmuffin Byung Hun Lee (the newest G.I. Joe films), to Bruce Willis and Helen Mirren.
2. Great action scenes, from gunfire battles and a sweet sports car driving sequence to hand-to-hand combat featuring actors doing many of their own stunts.
3. Solid script, with great directing and editing.
4. Some funny situations and antics.. different from Red 1.. still funny, but lower key.
5. Like 3 or 4 films packed into one. Yes, it's a bit confusing at times, but it all comes together in the end. It takes the viewer on a longer, more exotic ride than RED 1, from the U.S. to the U.K. to Russia.
◇Frank (Bruce Willis), a retired "CIA analyst", has been marked for death. Again. It seems someone has leaked an old top secret government document about a failed or fictitious project called Nightshade. Or was it a failed or fictitious project? The CIA, British Intelligence, the Russians, and the Iranians are all eager to find out.. except one of them already knows the answer and will stop at nothing to keep the truth about Nightshade a secret. But some secrets are too big to keep.. or shouldn't be kept.. and the unexpected mastermind has some very, very good reasons for their actions.◇
I've bought several copies of RED and RED 2 to give as gifts, and no one has had anything but praise for either film.

R.E.D. (Special Edition) (Bilingual)
R.E.D. (Special Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Bruce Willis
Price: CDN$ 5.00
34 used & new from CDN$ 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film; Do yourself a favour & watch this :-), Jan. 1 2015
5 reasons to love RED:
1. Excellent cast that obviously got along well, from younger studmuffin Karl Heinz Urban (Lord of the Rings), to Bruce Willis and Helen Mirren. No one disappoints.
2. Excellent action scenes, from gunfire battles (including some lovely big guns, grenades, and a missle launcher) to hand-to-hand combat featuring actors doing many of their own stunts.. and they have the real-life scars to prove it.
3. Solid script and great directing and editing.
4. Some Hilarious situations and antics, including John Malkovitch's character (ticked at being called an old man) going up against a blonde with a missle launcher, a "first date" from hell, a novel way to get a CIA squad on their knees (the elevator scene), and many, many others.
5. Believability. Some, if not a lot, of the script is based on facts from now-declassified CIA files, and this version offers a special feature describing some of these facts in greater detail as well as an optional audio commentary by a retired CIA agent. Much of the dialogue seems "real", from
"I can't believe you broke into my home! Wait... did you... VACUUM in here?!"
"A little bit. Ya. It was kinda messy in here, and I was waiting for you for a while." to
"Wow, he's paranoid."
"He thought he was being dosed with drugs. Turns out the CIA was giving him daily doses of LSD for eleven years."
"Oh, in that case he's doing great!"
"Ya, I know."
◇Frank (Bruce Willis), a retired "CIA analyst", has been marked for death, but he doesn't know why. Or, more appropriately, why NOW. He races to find out why, and reunites with some old frenemies to get to the heart of the matter. But he has an action-packed, often hilarious trip from point A to point B, and when he and his team find out why several of them have been targeted, they clean things up in classic RED (Retired. Extremely Dangerous) style.◇

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with Pump for Dry Skin, 532ml
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with Pump for Dry Skin, 532ml
Price: CDN$ 11.27

3.0 out of 5 stars 5/5 for helping dry hands but Minus 5/5 for chemicals it contains, Dec 28 2014
5/5 for what it does for my dry hands

Over the past few years, I've tried every product for humans or cows available in western Canada for my severely dry, cracked winter hands and nothing works anywhere near as well or as fast as this type of Aveeno. It has a mild odour, absorbs quickly, and makes my hands and feet feel soft.

Minus 5 out of 5 stars Because of some of the chemicals that have no place in a "natural" product, such as
distearyldimonium chloride (mainly found in fabric softeners and hair conditioners due to it's antistatic effects),
isopropyl palmitate (an antistatic agent known to be a comedogenic (it clogs your pores and causes blackheads)).. something you Don't want on your face!,
benzyl alcohol (primary used as a solvent or a preservative and is associated with contact allergies, immunotoxicity/allergies; 'Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful' - Environment Canada Domestic Substance List; 'Classified as toxic or harmful' - European Union Classification and Labelling, listed on the Environmental Working Group site),
and sodium chloride (plain old salt, which in my opinion is what makes Aveeno sting when I first put in on my hands -- nasty).
All uncalled for in a "natural" product, in my opinion.
HOWEVER, most other brands of hand creams are Much Much worse for having far more dangerous ingredients.
So, until Aveeno gets rid of the needless chemicals from it's hand cream, I use it because it's the lesser of two evils. But I don't use it often, and don't use it year-round.
Look up Aveeno's listed ingredients using any online search engine, then decide for yourself if you want to use it.

Umiwe(TM) 1 Pair (2pcs) Lady Cotton Comfy Toes Foot Alignment Socks/Happy Feet Socks-Off white(Large) With Umiwe Accessory
Offered by Umiwe-Direct Ships From HongKong
Price: CDN$ 4.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so comfy, Dec 27 2014
From the ad (which stated these are cotton), I thought these would be predominantly..well.. cotton. If there is any cotton in these unlabeled socks, it's a very small amount of cotton. They feel and look like tightly woven acrylic or acrylic/nylon blend, and don't "breathe" at all.
They're on the tight side for my ladies size 9 to 9 &1/2 feet.
But what really got on my nerves -- literally and figuratively -- is the large diameter of the dividers between the toes and.. oddly.. placed under the toes/at the base of the toes. The dividers forced my smaller toes so far apart that after a few minutes, my smaller toes went numb. This happened on four occasions. An acquaintance who works in a chiropractic office suggested the nerves in my feet are being pinched by being forced too far apart, as well as the pressure of my feet on the firm, thick ridge under where my toes join on to my foot also pinching nerves. All I know is for a day or two after I wear these socks (even for a few minutes), my feet hurt like heck :-(
I can't stand them, and a chiropractor's assistant as well as two nurses have told me in their opinion I shouldn't wear them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17