Profile for R3aLiTY_bYt3s > Reviews

Content by R3aLiTY_bYt3s
Top Reviewer Ranking: 386

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R3aLiTY_bYt3s "R3aLiTY_bYt3s" (Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Case Logic LNEO-7 7-Inch Kindle Fire/Tablet/eBook Sleeve (Red)
Case Logic LNEO-7 7-Inch Kindle Fire/Tablet/eBook Sleeve (Red)
Price: CDN$ 19.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem, July 21 2014
This little gem protects a Samsung tablet, and does a very good job. It's thick enough to cushion the tablet each time it's been accidentally dropped or bumped.
It's been washed several times (machine wash, delicate cycle, in a mesh bag, lay flat to air dry) and has kept it's shape and colour, and the zipper still works fine.
It's odourless, well constructed, and everyone who sees it wants one.
It exceeded our expectations.

Oven Liner + Baking Sheets x2
Oven Liner + Baking Sheets x2
Offered by WellBake
Price: CDN$ 9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, dangerous, useless, July 21 2014
This review is from: Oven Liner + Baking Sheets x2
As someone who doesn't enjoy spending hours scraping and scouring pots and pans with sos pads (while the pads chew through thick gloves), I had high hopes for these liners for lining several pans with something non-stick and "safe". There were just a few issues..
-the oven liner is too small, even for my tiny oven, but I told myself it was ok, that I would just use it to make 2 pan liners.. except that
-these are really hard to cut, so I didn't cut them
-even after 5 months, they're still "curly" and won't lay flat
-they're much thinner than I thought they'd be, so, combined with the curly issue,
-they don't stay flat on a cookie sheet or in a pan, even when placed curl side down
-because of the curl issue and thinness issue, they allow food to ooze under them and/or flip food, spring loaded style, in all directions, including into the oven as you're taking the item out of the oven
-because of the curl issue, they won't stay flat or stand on edge in a dishwasher
-because they're so thin, they can't stand on edge in a dishwasher
-because of the curl issue, they're a nightmare to try to wash by hand
-because of the thinness issue, the edges are extremely sharp, almost like a razor blade. I accidentally sliced my palm, several fingers, my forearm (in three places), and the back of one hand while trying to wash one of these by hand.. my first clue was red water.. and a couple of the slices were deep enough that they took a couple of weeks to heal. I'm not a "bleeder" or a slow healer. I asked a friend to try to wash one and she cut herself putting it in the sink.. didn't even have the water on yet. Another person put these into a garbage bag for me but the liner edges cut the bag, fell out, and sliced the top of her bare foot.

This product was a huge disappointment and is, in my opinion, a dangerous product.

12 Inch Stainless Steel & Silicone Tongs + FREE Silicone Spatula + Bottle Stop
12 Inch Stainless Steel & Silicone Tongs + FREE Silicone Spatula + Bottle Stop
Offered by WellBake
Price: CDN$ 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best tongs I've ever used, July 21 2014
I ordered these tongs mainly because of the price. I haven't had good luck with tongs in the past due to quick rust, a hinge pin popping out or getting loose, flimsy tongs, etc, so I figured I'd spend $7 for tongs that might last 6 months.
But I was surprised when these tongs arrived last March: they're sturdy, grip really well, have been through the dishwasher (bottom rack, utensils tray) numerous times, have sat (dirty) in a mucky sink overnight waiting for their turn in the dishwasher more than once, have been accidentally dropped a few times, and have been used for everything from pancake/chicken wings/hot potato serving to helping me wrestle with a large cooked ham in a hot baking dish.
These tongs have silicone tips so they don't scratch my cookware or bakeware, have withstood all the abuse I've dished out and still look and feel brand new.
I find myself wanting to use them whenever possible, even if I don't really need to.
I love the weight of them, the sturdiness, the quality of them, and I ordered tongs for my nearest and dearest as well.
I can see my tongs lasting a very long time :-)
Side note: the free silicone spatula that came with my order works really well too. I've used it a fair bit and have put it through the dishwasher (bottom rack, utensils tray) over 30 times.. no cracking, even though I always leave the dishwasher on "heated dry" cycle.

High and Mighty: Suvs-The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way
by Keith Bradsher
25 used & new from CDN$ 2.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a balanced or a truthful story, July 20 2014
I wanted to take this book seriously, but I couldn't. Half-truths, dated and often hard or impossible to verify "statistics", loaded with the author's ramblings and rants, this book left me wishing I could somehow recover my wasted time.

In the vein of blaming McDonald's restaurants for everyone everywhere who is overweight or obese, this book takes the responsibility for Everyone On The Roads Driving Safely And Responsibly and puts it soley on the shoulders of people who own a Sports Utility Vehicle.

After a car accident (I was a passenger in one of the fiberglass nightmare small cars this author favours because "crumpling" is somehow better for people), I purposely chose to buy a steel-framed, "solid" vehicle that got great safety ratings, and at that time my only choices were a Smart Car or a Toyota FJ Cruiser (the latest incarnation of the Land Cruiser).

Since I often need a back seat and a cargo area and, quite frankly, because of my bust size (look up safe distance minimums for air bags), the Smart Car was out of the question. I haven't for one moment regretted my decision seven years ago to buy a Toyota FJ Cruiser.
I feel safer, and not just because I took professional driving instruction courses two decades ago when I first got my license and continue to enjoy insurance breaks because of the courses and a clean driving record.

Unsafe, distracted, hostile, stupid drivers come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and drive everything from 18-wheelers to skateboards and bicycles. When someone makes a "stupid blonde driving an SUV" comment, I know the problem lies with that person, not with me.
My driving speaks for itself, and that has been the case no matter what I drive.. whether it's a shopping cart, bicycle, tractor, SUV, or golf cart.

I wish this author had written a well-balanced, unbiased "expose'" that took into account the numerous types and brands and sizes of SUVs, as well as the myriad of types of people/personality types who choose to own and drive an SUV.. but he didn't. I guess lumping us all into one category makes it somehow easier to blame us.

PS Vita Cradle - PlayStation Vita Standard Edition
PS Vita Cradle - PlayStation Vita Standard Edition
Offered by Orion Xpress
Price: CDN$ 23.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 10.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Works ONLY on Vitas made in 2014, July 19 2014
5 stars for it being great for a pre-2014 Vita, 1 star for it being totally incompatible with the newer Vita.
I'm VERY disappointed Sony took a great thing (the Vita) and changed it so 'Made exclusively for Playstation Vita' products like this cradle, skins, car chargers, are no longer compatible.
There's no way to make the newer Vitas fit this excellent charging cradle: the new Vita has a cord hole in it that's roughly 1/3 the size of the charging prong on the cradle.
Shame on Sony! Buyers Beware!

Case Logic LAPST-107 6 to 7-Inch Tablet and E-book Reader Sleeve (Black)
Case Logic LAPST-107 6 to 7-Inch Tablet and E-book Reader Sleeve (Black)
Price: CDN$ 17.31
11 used & new from CDN$ 12.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, July 10 2014
Functional, tough, washable (cold water, delicate cycle, mild liquid detergent, lay flat to dry), this little darling has housed my Kindle or my Samsung tablet at different times over the past year, and I feel has protected one or the other from damage, especially during a very difficult move and emergency major surgery/recovery at a relative's place earlier this year. I dropped/fumbled my tablet (while it was in this case) more than a few times during those difficult times and the tablet was fine.

I like this brand and type so much I bought a couple in different colours to give as gifts.

I even accidentally threw up on it when I fell ill, it sat in a plastic bag for about a week, then was put through the washing machine on hot, extra liquid detergent, regular cycle (by a relative), and it's fine. I would NOT recommend this kind of treatment for this case, of course, but it was a real treat to find it was fine after that kind of mistreatment.

Tearaway - PlayStation Vita
Tearaway - PlayStation Vita
Price: CDN$ 39.08
5 used & new from CDN$ 32.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A game for all ages and stages, July 10 2014
This is one of my two favourite PS Vita games (the other being Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward), and I ordered extra copies of Tearaway to give as gifts to my nearests & dearests.

This is the story of a cute little guy (or gal) who gets caught up in adventure that includes you, the player. S/he fights bad guys called scraps, completes challenges, and helps others on his/her journey.

I like that the main character and backgrounds and other characters look like they're made of paper, that you can personalize the look and gender of your character, the sound effects, and much of the music. I also like that you, the player, are included in the story. I haven't tried folding any of the paper crafts that unlock during gameplay, but if I feel lucky (I'm not good at paper projects and invariably get paper cuts in odd locations), I will.

I played this game while I was seriously ill and looking for an easy game, although some parts were a challenge. I look forward to playing it again and doing a trophy mop-up.

The youngest Tearaway fan I know is 12 years old (PSN level 2), the oldest is over 70 (PSN level 6), and even a PSN level 21 friend loves Tearaway, so I think it's safe to say this is a game that appeals to all ages and stages.

Door Chain, Brass
Door Chain, Brass
Offered by BIC Warehouse - (Includes all tax and Duties)
Price: CDN$ 10.87
2 used & new from CDN$ 7.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, July 10 2014
This item seems well made and arrived looking like the product photo. It looks good, and works as well as anything like this works (a "suggestion" or a "reminder" to people with a key to *knock* instead of just barging in), but of course wouldn't stand up to a serious home invasion person kicking in your door.

Casabella 53640 Silicone Rolling Pin Spacer Bands
Casabella 53640 Silicone Rolling Pin Spacer Bands
Price: CDN$ 7.00
6 used & new from CDN$ 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars These don't fit my rolling pin.. or over thirty other rolling pins!, July 10 2014
I had high hopes for these colourful little things, but I was extremely disappointed to find they're much too big for my rolling pin, even though the measurements seemed right when I ordered them.

I've taken one of these to eight different stores and also loaned one to several friends. No one has a rolling pin these bands will fit onto (bands are too loose on all). Between us, we have several different sizes and types, made out of several materials.

Everyone agreed these bands are a good idea, and that it's a shame these don't fit.

They're too big even for a particular brand of rolling pin named by a reviewer in the United States.

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing, 1 lb
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing, 1 lb
Price: CDN$ 16.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 11.52

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, July 7 2014
The label states this product comes from Death Valley, USA, which kind of made me do a double take.
I mixed 2 tablespoons of bottled spring water (no chlorine & other garbage in it, unlike my tap water) and 2 tablespoons of this clay (which has the consistency of icing sugar) in a small glass jar. I mixed it into a paste, as directed, with the BPA-free plastic measuring spoon, then the smell hit me. Very earthy and a bit odd.
I have an unusually good sense of smell, so I did my best to ignore the smell (in fairness, Dead Sea mud smells a million times worse and is much much more expensive) and smeared some of this Death Valley mud on my chin.
I've been through hell this year, and it shows in my skin these days. A difficult move, movers broke my bed and several other important things, re-audited by revenue canada, emergency major major surgery.. and now recovering from surgery and trying to unpack in my new apartment. My pores never looked worse, and my colouring (not being in the sun yet this year) looked.. odd.
I washed off the mud in the shower, glanced in the mirror, then did a double-take. The pores on my chin were for the first time this year once again so small I couldn't see them.
I didn't waste time.. I undid the jar lid and put mud on the rest of my face!

I've used this product several times now, and on a variety of body parts, and I just love it! It still works, it still doesn't irritate my very pale, sensitive skin, and my skin colouring looks more even. Several people have commented I 'glow'. Thanks, Aztec!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12