Profile for Ben Spooner > Reviews

Content by Ben Spooner

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ben Spooner "BenSpooner" (Calgary, Alberta)

Peter & Max: A Fables Novel
Peter & Max: A Fables Novel
by Bill Willingham
Price: CDN$ 22.39
38 used & new from CDN$ 1.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Great nightime or airplane read, Dec 5 2009
I love the Fables series, and this book is a fantastic addition to the story. I read it in 3 nights, couldn't put it down. Good plot twists, and good info on some of the Fables characthers backgrounds as well. If you like the Fables comics you will like this book.

Good Day to Cross a River
Good Day to Cross a River
Price: CDN$ 12.51
20 used & new from CDN$ 10.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely funny, Dec 14 2006
Seriously, I had to pull over I was laughing so hard. This is one of the best stand up comic cd's I've bought in years. Greg's views on religion and marriage are priceless.

Forever: A Novel
Forever: A Novel
by Pete Hamill
Price: CDN$ 12.27
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Ending, Nov. 22 2006
This review is from: Forever: A Novel (Paperback)
I must say I really enjoyed this book. There are some slower parts, as one would expect in a 600 page book, but all in all, a very satisfying enjoyable story.

I wonder about the caption on the back cover though: "If you've recently read Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, read this book" - Forever is nothing like either series, it's not a good comparision.

Medium Energy
Medium Energy
Price: CDN$ 15.03
29 used & new from CDN$ 7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than his first CD, April 6 2006
This review is from: Medium Energy (Audio CD)
Seriously, I listened to this cd while driving on the highway last night and had to pull over twice I was laughing so hard. Todd Barry's unique deadpan delivery style kills me. It's kind of like watching BBC's The Office - you'll hear a joke and kind of do a double take and rewind to hear if if what you thought he said was real. Highly recommended.
One complaint is the sound quality. Todd's delivery is slow and in between his sentances is lots of hissing noise and static - couldn't that have been edited out?

The Island Walkers
The Island Walkers
by John Bemrose
Price: CDN$ 15.88
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Tries way too hard, March 26 2006
This review is from: The Island Walkers (Paperback)
I read this book based on the recommendation from Guy Vanderhague on the back cover. The first half I enjoyed, but the second half was a struggle for me to get through. There were too many one or two sentance quotes by a character followed by entire paragraphs on how "bitter" his tone of voice was, etc.
I certainly agree with the previous review in that Jamie's horrific experience seemed to have absolutely no relevance on the story and was almost completely ignored afterwards. ??
I would not recommend this book.

Live
Live
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 27.95
2 used & new from CDN$ 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars good but could have been better, Dec 22 2004
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
I consider myself a fairly big Blind Guardian fan and was quite looking foward to this CD. Though the song choices and sound production did not let me down, what pissed me off was the length of audience applause left on the CD after every song! I bet it adds up to 10 minutes on each CD, easily enough time to add another track or two.