Profile for Helene Ilg > Reviews

Content by Helene Ilg

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Helene Ilg (Bloomfield, NJ United States)

Blood Moon
Blood Moon
by Michael Canada
Price: CDN$ 30.81
4 used & new from CDN$ 14.03

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Ride From Start To Finish!, Feb. 28 2004
This review is from: Blood Moon (Paperback)
It's not easy riffing on familiar horror themes, but in their sequel to "Black Moon", Michael Canada and S.J. Gaither admirably perform with wit and charm.
There's something for everyone in this intriguing adventure...sex, gore, mystery, mayhem.....all told in a first person POV that's very 'reader-friendly' and evenly paced; quirky enough to be different, yet fun enough to be enjoyed by even the most discriminating of horror fans.
Whether you're looking for a scary book to read on a cold, rainy day, or a fun book to read in the park, this is the novel for you. "Midnight" alone, is worth the price of admission!
A true joy to read....I highly recommend it along with the first in the series.
Very much looking forward to more from these two.

Midnight Harvest: From the Chronicles of Saint-Germain
Midnight Harvest: From the Chronicles of Saint-Germain
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.60

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Done It Again!!, Sept. 13 2003
As a loyal Yarbro/Saint-Germain fan, it's going to be very hard for me to be objective about this book, but I'll do the best I can.
Allow me to begin by saying: She's done it again!
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro succeeds where many authors fail: Continuing to hold our interest in a character for over 20 years, without any of the bells and whistles that accompany other, more 'traditional' vampire novels, all without compromising the character's dignity and honor.
Set in the 1930's, on the heels of the time period the very popular "Tempting Fate" takes place in, it's obvious from the get go that we're in for quite a ride (pun intended). While the action throughout the novel isn't exactly break-neck speed, this is a very evenly paced story. Whereas some of the novels have, IMHO, dragged in some spots, I didn't detect any lags here at all.
In a way, this book reminded me of a 'buddy/road trip' type movie. Saint-Germain and Roger (who is referred to in this story as 'Rogerio') are forced to flee Spain and fly to the United States after a brief layover in Ireland.
Once they're in the States, we get to meet some very colorful characters, some likeable, some not and most, personalities that we can all relate to in our every day lives i.e, used car salesmen, lawyers, insurance men, policemen, cab drivers, even carpet installers. All of which, help to make this novel very believable as Roger and Saint-Germain do their best to fit into 20th century America while constantly being on guard against forces wishing to do Saint-Germain harm.
That being said, the Saint-Germain/Roger relationship is of great interest to me and I find myself wondering exactly what it is about these two men that, after 2,000 years, not only keeps them together, but makes for such a fantastic team. Yes, loyalty, devotion, respect, honor, gratitude and brotherly love
all play a part, but I sometimes get a bit frustrated with the 'master/servant' thing. By now we know they're way beyond that. I'd just like to see more of the components of their unique friendship outlined and detailed a bit more while they maintain the decorum they've established.
It was a pleasure revisiting Rowena Saxon, now a bit older and wiser than when Saint-Germain first met her in "Writ in Blood", and I found the character of Cenere fascinating. I wish we could have seen a bit more of him, but his face-off with Saint-Germain is worth the price of admission, alone.
And true followers of the series will recognize many references to past and future events/characters that will play important parts in past novels. Ms. Yarbro does a splendid job of filling in those holes for us while still cleverly foreshadowing events that we already know are going to take place.
My favorite part? Saint-Germain haggling over the price of a used Packard. Great stuff!
And of course, the romance/sexual encounters were top-notch.
All in all, another wonderful read by a gifted and prolific author. I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next!
An easy five stars from me.
You outdid yourself, Ms. Yarbro. Take a bow.

The Best of Good Living with Jane Asher: Creative Ideas for Your Family and Home
by Jane Asher
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Martha Who? :), June 25 2003
I thought I'd seen it all in the way of domestic gurus, but that Stewart person has got NOTHING on Ms. Asher.
This lovely book contains simple, elegant recipes, practical yet glamorous gift ideas and creative, fun projects to make with children as well as loads of helpful hints. It was originally intended to accompany Jane's popular BBC television show of the same name, but you don't need to have seen a single episode in order to appreciate the contents. Chock full of colorful pics so delicious looking you'll want to cut them out and eat them, "The Best of Good Living..." is as beautiful as Jane herself!!
This one is a keeper!!

Room to Grow: An Appetite for Life
Room to Grow: An Appetite for Life
by Tracey Gold
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars When They Said Young Adult, They Weren't Kidding!, June 17 2003
I'm a long time fan of Tracey Gold and was very excited when I learned about this book. I am quite familiar with her battle with Anorexia and have followed her career before and since with interest.
It pains me not to be able to rate this book higher, but in all fairness, I can't. Not only does it read like mediocre fan-fiction, it's not even as interesting. Perhaps it was deliberately written in this particular 'style' because it's aimed at juveniles, but when they said Young Adult, they weren't kidding. I think my 7 year old could get through this thing in one night.
The book is loaded with family photos, which is fine, but how many Halloween pictures do we need to see? It's almost as if the publisher told Tracey to add a few more pics to stretch the book out to get to that 190-something pages. (Which I think is a strong possibility as the typeset is large, there are lots of spaces and much of the contents seems to be 'filler'.)
Something else that bothered me were all of the ringing endorsements. "Diet Coke" and "California Pizza Kitchen" were mentioned over and over like a bad ad campaign.
I also caught a big whiff of Public Relations here. Alot of "what will the magazines say?" stuff. True, Tracey is a star, but did we always need to be reminded of it? I think women battling eating disorders would relate to what Tracey has to say here much better if she had toned down the 'I'm an actress" thing.
I don't mean to sound so harsh, it's just that Tracey has so much to say to women who suffer with eating disorders, I just think it's a pity she didn't say it a bit better here.
The saying is 'less is more', but Tracey Gold has helped to prove that sometimes, less is less.

Hotel Transylvania
Hotel Transylvania
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions really 'Count', June 6 2003
This is the first in the Yarbro Saint-Germain series and as my header suggests, first impressions really do 'Count'.
After a friend of mine recommended the series to me, I began reading this one first, not really expecting to like it or the series and seriously doubted I'd get hooked.
Boy, was I wrong!
Captivating, engrossing and very romantic, this is the one to start with. Saint-Germain, though IMHO, not really at his best here, is still fascinating and sexy enough to hold the reader's interest. And Madelaine is a throughly enjoyable character.
The ending is a luscious combination of action and romance.
There are other books in the series I like better, but this one will not disappoint. None of Yarbro's books ever could.

Darker Jewels: A Novel of the Count Saint-Germain
Darker Jewels: A Novel of the Count Saint-Germain
Price: CDN$ 16.70
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Words: Bathtub Scene, June 5 2003
I adore Yarbro's sensitive and dark Count Saint-Germain, but found him at his most sensitive and dark in this novel. "Darker Jewels", indeed.
Poignant, erotic and hauntingly beautiful, this novel captures everything there is to love about the Count and more.
As my header already states, two words: bathtub scene.
And look out for a VERY moving scene at the end that helps illustrate just how devoted to his 'master' Roger really is.
You'll enjoy this book. In the words of the Count....
"Believe this".