Profile for Dennis J. Gormley > Reviews

Content by Dennis J. Gormley

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dennis J. Gormley (Voorhees, NJ USA)

Band Of Brothers (Widescreen)
Band Of Brothers (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Damian Lewis
Price: CDN$ 25.00
22 used & new from CDN$ 21.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh? What's that?, June 21 2004
Like many of those who purchased the DVD set, I had seen the original on HBO, and later on the History Channel. I consider it one of the best looks at those who took part in combat in WWII, and looked forward to getting the DVD set for my collection.
But (and I consider this to be a big but) when I popped in the the DVD and went to set up the subtitles, there was no option for English subtitiles (I could have changed to Spanish subtitles if I was fluent in Spanish. But I digress)! No problem, I thought, I'll just switch to Closed Captioning on my TV; after all, when I saw it on TV it was Closed Captioned. Imagine my shock and surprise when the Closed Captioning that was included in the broadcast version was missing from the DVD. Ironically, as I finished watching an episode on the DVD, there was another episode airing on the History Channel - with the Close Captioning!
While Closed Captioning is a luxury for me - I can hear well enough, but enjoy the Closed Captioning to catch nuances in the dialog - I can't help but think that this would be a big deal for older viewers - say, those who actually lived through the war.
I give this DVD 3 stars - not for the content, which is superb, but for the lack of foresight that saw the release of this DVD with neither English subtitles or Closed Captioning - which had already been done for the broadcast!