Profile for Isabella > Reviews

Content by Isabella

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Isabella "strangesun" (Washington, DC USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Nancy Drew 11: The Clue of the Broken Locket
Nancy Drew 11: The Clue of the Broken Locket
by Carolyn Keene
Price: CDN$ 9.02
100 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 40 years later this is still my favorite!, June 17 2004
My story is this - when I was 10 my Aunt Margaret gave me my first Nancy Drew book. It changed my life. REading became my passion. Now 40 years later I still think back on that experience. I read them all. (At least all judged by 1966 standards.) But the clue of the broken locket was the BEST! Happy endings to top all endings. KIDS KEEP ON READING.

Plum Island
Plum Island
Price: CDN$ 9.50
113 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The book's beauty lies in the details., April 11 2004
I have attempted to read this book on many occassions but somehow I have never been able to get past a certain point with all of the details. But Nelson DeMille is my absolute favorite author and I knew that if I just kept holding on the pay off would be big. This book is true to form. It is slow to develop both in terms of the plot and the characters. But once this book takes hold (like all of DeMille's for me) you cannot put it down. The last 200 pages are suspenseful and funny. I should say the entire book is funny even though about death as seen through the eyes of Det. Corey. Why 5 stars if I had to struggle through the first half of the book? Well, DeMille has huge payoffs and this one did not disappoint. All of the details mean something and add to the ultimate enjoyment. I have never been disappointed in DeMille book. So if you like books that slowly place the dots and then connects them (through a sarcastic NYPD detective)this book is for you.

The Da Vinci Code: A Novel
The Da Vinci Code: A Novel
by Dan Brown
Price: CDN$ 20.69
389 used & new from CDN$ 0.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Dec 7 2003
I reluctantly picked this book up. I just didn't think I'd be interested in the subject matter. My best friend read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. So I bit. WOW! As I was working my way through, I could not tell fact from fiction. Not only am I left with wanting to go to Paris to the museum but I'm looking for a historical biblical course to learn more. In my opinion great book.

The Charm School
The Charm School
Price: CDN$ 9.02
116 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Minute detail equals big pay off., Aug. 25 2003
I struggled through the first 500 pages of this book. Demille is one of my favorite authors but the details here were too minute. Then just as I was about to give up the book just took off. All of sudden those details helped to create one of the most chilling and horrifying books I've ever read. I agree with the reviewer who said do not read the author's forward. I think that made it hard for me to get through the details. As a DeMille loyalist though, I look forward to his next book.

She's Come Undone
She's Come Undone
by Wally Lamb
Price: CDN$ 9.49
149 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Depressing but still a good read!, Dec 28 2002
While this book was a good read, that is it kept my attention, I'm still trying to decide if I liked the book. Delores stays with you. Her life though is so sad. The writing itself is superb. I guess the way I come out on this is this--If you are Brady Bunch type person, this book is probably not for you.

Up Country: A Novel
Up Country: A Novel
by Nelson Demille
82 used & new from CDN$ 1.36

5.0 out of 5 stars It stays with you, April 23 2002
This review is from: Up Country: A Novel (Hardcover)
I finished this book yesterday. It left me in tears. I have read several of DeMille's book. This one left me feeling soooo sad. For me it was not like the Lion's Game, or Spencerville, or the Gold Coast. Its a book that made me feel like DeMille let me share a significant part of his life. This book is so vivid, so real, you feel like you are there on the Mission. You feel like you were there in 1968 and 1972. This book is not a page turner in the traditional sense. It has subtle draw. I felt grateful by the end of this book to know so much about him. The reader comes to understand he had to write this book. Up Country makes a DeMille fan appreciate just how talented an author he is. The detail is magnificent. Each detail, and I mean minute detail, in my opinion, is the sheer beauty of it. It has been a full day since I finished Up Country, I miss Paul and Susan so much. I've decided to re-read Plum Island because I think there maybe things there that I didnot see before.

Sky Is Falling, The
Sky Is Falling, The
by Sidney Sheldon
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Its Just Okay., Nov. 11 2000
This review is from: Sky Is Falling, The (Hardcover)
This book is OKAY. I'm closer to 2.8 stars but not quite 3. The plot is simple and its easy to follow. It lacks the suspense of Sheldon's earlier books though. All in all its not bad if you are looking for a quick uncomplicated read.

The Gold Coast
The Gold Coast
Price: CDN$ 8.55
136 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Provocative Reading!, Aug. 26 2000
This was my third DeMille novel. It was very different from Plum Island and the Lion's Game. It does not have the suspense of those two books. Yet this book does not leave you. The book is long but the details are necessary to develop the characters. It is quite funny and as other reviewers have indicated I found myself laughing out loud as I read this book. (So much so that my son asked me not to bring the book to basketball practice because I made too much noise!) Great overall read but only for the patient.

The Lion's Game
The Lion's Game
Price: CDN$ 32.76
109 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Winter Reading, March 12 2000
This review is from: The Lion's Game (Hardcover)
This is the best book I've read in years. I read Plum Island and liked John Corey. The on line reviewers convinced me to read this book--its long. Corey is not as funny as in Plum Island but this plot is much more detailed and involved. I enjoyed every page. Every detail means something so pay attention. While some of the online reviewer didn't like the end, I did. More in store.

Killing Me Softly: A Novel of Obsession
Killing Me Softly: A Novel of Obsession
by Nicci French
Price: CDN$ 26.72
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Great summer read!, Aug. 25 1999
I ordered this book to take to the beach with me. I arrived 2 days before I left. I finished it in a day and half. It was great. Alice, the main character, captures you from the first page and does not let go. I generally do not read books written in the first person as this one. Here the lust, passion and fear could not be as compelling if written in the third person. Only Alice's perspective grips the reader. The book earned 4 stars from me because it is hard to believe that Alice, the scientist, would fall for Adam as quickly and completely as she did. That's the book's only negative. But once you buy into that, sit back and enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2