Profile for Jesse Brandon Purtle > Reviews

Content by Jesse Brandon ...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jesse Brandon Purtle (Camdenton, Missouri United States)

Liber Null & Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
Liber Null & Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
by Peter J. Carroll
Price: CDN$ 16.62
38 used & new from CDN$ 10.51

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book, March 19 2004
Ok, really, this book is a complete must-have. I have owned it for almost a year, and still refer to it on a near-daily basis and can always manage to learn something from it, even though I've read it several times through! Carroll does slip up in a few spaces, ie: his description of sigils is less than par, and I probably wouldn't have understood it at all were it not for my very thorough, previous understanding of sigils, and his description of the Mass of Chaos took me a few read-throughs to understand, but overall this book is near perfect. There are so many lines from the Liber NOX chapter that I absoloutly loved it's not even funny. I'd buy Liber NOX alone for that price!!

Secret Tarot
Secret Tarot
by Lo Scarabeo
Edition: Cards
Price: CDN$ 16.70
26 used & new from CDN$ 16.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Trusty, but a good introduction deck., Jan. 27 2004
This review is from: Secret Tarot (Cards)
This is a very beautiful, acurate deck. Using the card meanings found in the included booklet, this deck is deadly accurate. So much so that I work with it almost exclusivly these days, although it's naturally wise to have another deck to fall back on. In fact, a few friends and myself were using them to 'cheat' at a basketball game, and they were accurate every time.
The artwork is just fabulous, too. Just goin' through the deck without doing a reading is fun just to look at the beauty of the cards. The magickian and temperance cards are deffinatly two of the most beautiful cards I've seen in any deck.
Also, they are fairly easy to read.
My only complaint is that the included booklette is absoloutly non-informative. It includes the intended meanings for the cards in about a two-three word description, and they are generally far from the traditional meanings, which can leave a beginner very... confused, to say the least.
However, if you don't mind a slightly non-traditional deck (never been a traditionalist, personally) and you know enough about the tarot via your own translations or the traditional ones, which you can find online, then you'll love this deck. I did.

The Fairy Ring: An Oracle of the Fairy Folk
The Fairy Ring: An Oracle of the Fairy Folk
by Anna Franklin
Edition: Cards
Price: CDN$ 25.04
22 used & new from CDN$ 20.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite worth it., Jan. 6 2004
My personal experience with this book is very bad. The artwork is good, but the deck is about as accurate as a 90 year old blind man with cancer, on dope, spinning in circles, throwing a dart, and trying to hit a bee at one hundred yards. In short: not at all.
Although it does get points for artwork, that isn't enough to save it by ANY means. If I wanted art, I would buy... an ARTBOOK... when I pay nearly thirty bucks for a 'tarot deck'... I expect something that can divine for me.
However, I haven't yet got around to working the pathworkings in the book, and those may be great... whoooo knows? That is the only saving grace here, though. Really, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt by giving it an extra star.
In conclusion: for collectors, it's great... for actual freaking people who like to USE these things... I can't reccomend it at all; go buy a more useful deck (Amazon, the great provider, has several!).... (they didn't pay me to say that!).... (but I'd certainly like them to! ;)

The Devil's Notebook
The Devil's Notebook
by Anton Szandor LaVey
Price: CDN$ 12.15
36 used & new from CDN$ 3.39

3.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Read, Oct. 18 2003
This review is from: The Devil's Notebook (Paperback)
This book is a collection of essays, written by Mr. (pope?) Lavey. Judging by the introduction, written by Adam Parfrey, it is some sort of tribute to him - though I am not for sure. It is good for entertainment, though not a whoooole lot else... but then again, books are a form of media, and the whole purpose of media is to entertain, so...
Alright, this is deffinatly a great read! I totally, TOTALLY loved the Diabolica, Duck-Billed Platitudes, and How to Be a God! They are all very entertaining and humorous (though I'm not sure whether or not they're supposed to be). Also, the whole book is pretty motivational for that little screaming, raving satanist in all of us.
That's about all there is to say about it. I mean, honestly, at only 147 pages, it's not a huge chunk of reading. I read it over one weekend. Not great, but not bad - not by any means bad - hence three stars.

Your Book Of Shadows
Your Book Of Shadows
by Patricia Telesco
19 used & new from CDN$ 12.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good!, Oct. 18 2003
This review is from: Your Book Of Shadows (Paperback)
This book may be generally good when it comes to writing one's own, personal Book of Shadows (spell book, I'd call it, more appropriatly, or book of the mind), but it's true signifigance comes through in its overall wealth of information. Most of its information on SpellBook creation is usefull - but just common sense, but it has so many other great things to it.
This book is loaded with things like animal, food, and beverage correspondces, tips for spell craft, and even how to make your own paper, essential oils, and candles (and more!) It also contains some neat "portable magic" (talismans, amulets, etc.) ideas.
However, as far as actual spellbook material, I didn't get a whooole lot of use out of it. It may've just been me, but it seemed that most of the stuff in there was merely common sense.
Also, as a Kaos Magickian, I was turned off by the fluffy-yuffy wiccan ideals concealed within, but I'll try not to be too biased.... ok, biased or not, let's face it: Patricia Telesco doesn't seem to bright! It would seem appearent that most of her information isn't researched too deeply - back to origins and its true meaning. I do like her friendly writing style, though.
So, conclusion: lots of points for lots of good info, although it may not be very deep. subtract a lil' for not hitting her mark directly on, and for lack of intelegence, and we'll say.... 4 stars. Not a must have, but you get your money's worth by far.