Profile for Rusty McMyrtle > Reviews

Content by Rusty McMyrtle

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rusty McMyrtle (Saskatoon)

Open House [Import]
Open House [Import]
DVD ~ Hedy Burress
Offered by Sellavie Online Traders
Price: CDN$ 21.97
7 used & new from CDN$ 4.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Unassuming and lot of fun!, Oct. 5 2005
This review is from: Open House [Import] (DVD)
Definitely a movie that will put a smile on your face while you're watching it, and keep it there whenever you think of the songs (which are hard to get out of my head!). I really didn't know what to expect from this post-modern musical. I saw it at a film festival last year, and I'm really looking forward to the DVD extras. I understand that the actors all sang live without dubbing, so it'll be interesting to see how they pulled it off. Anthony Rapp is great as the wacky real estate agent at the center of the maelstrom, but Sally Kellerman damn near steals the whole show with her drunken Mae West-type character. And just when you think this is just silly fluff, the director tugs on your emotions stronger than you'd think. with songs like "Selling a Dream" and "It's My House," you'll find out just how emotional you can get about a house. It really makes you think about the home that you grew up in yourself. Surprisingly powerful, while still an unassuming joy. Can't wait to get it!

Dancer in the Dark (Widescreen)
Dancer in the Dark (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Björk
Offered by DealsAreUs
Price: CDN$ 49.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 11.97

2.0 out of 5 stars the extras were cool, but boy was this a downer!, Oct. 5 2005
I have to admit that I found the extras to be much more interesting than the movie. Von Trier seems more humble in person than his pretensious movie would imply. While Bjork and the rest of the cast sing great, and some of the dance numbers are inspired, the overall plot is so unrelentingly grim that there is no reason to sit through it. And the casting? Just bizarre. If Von Trier wants to make movies that are believably set in the States, then he should hire yank actors.

Hedwig & the Angry Inch
Hedwig & the Angry Inch
DVD ~ John Cameron Mitchell
Price: CDN$ 15.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't love musicals, but this one rocks!, Oct. 5 2005
This review is from: Hedwig & the Angry Inch (DVD)
Truth be told, I'm not a huge musicals fan. But when I heard the buzz about Hedwig over the years, I had to see it for myself. Sure enough, it was great. But watching the movie and then the DVD extras really made me think that the live show probably was better. I couldn't help but think that the main guy who also directs, seemed a little distracted and unsure of himself at times. But loads of fun, eh?