countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout All-New Kindle Music Deals Store Furniture sports Tools
Profile for Tina of the North > Reviews

Content by Tina of the North

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Tina of the North (Calgary, AB CAN)

Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones (Burl Wood Accents)
Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones (Burl Wood Accents)
Price: CDN$ 249.00
61 used & new from CDN$ 239.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for home use and a lot more comfortable than the ATH-M50, Jan. 20 2016
I got the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition (Black) and I must say it's amazing for home use. I also own a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable (Discontinued by Manufacturer) closed back headphones which I used for years before I picked up the HD 598 and I find the Sennheisers are much more comfortable all around. As a glasses wearer it's important that the clamping pressure isn't too hard, and with the HD 598 there wasn't a problem with prolonged usage.

The sound quality is excellent. If you're a fan of acoustic music or want a 'theatre mode' experience when using a headset, I highly recommend these. Since they're open back, I do NOT recommend them if you need to be quiet or if the sound will bother others, the sound will leak out and everyone will be able to hear what you hear. The HD 589 are not the headphones you want if you're into heavy bass music, because the bass is not as strong or satisfying as the ATH-M50. I would say both the ATH-M50 and the HD 589 are great sound wise, but they serve different purposes. I personally have both so I switch between them depending on what I'm in the mood for, but if you can get away with open backed headphones and don't need bass heavy sound, the HD 589 is a great choice.

If you need a good quality open backed headset in this price range, I honestly think this is the one for you.

AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black
AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black
Price: CDN$ 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than it looks, Dec 8 2015
This is surprisingly bigger than I first thought; it can fit a naked iPad mini 2 inside comfortably. I use it mainly to hold all the loose electronics I normally have sitting around in my bag (usb cables, lightning cable, flash drive, portable battery, earphones, etc.) It seems well made, I especially like that there are two pull tabs (covered in a rubber material) to pull on the zipper which makes it easier to access what you need. It seems well made and insulated. I would recommend it to anyone that needs a universal case for random items they carry around with them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Case-Mate Tough Samsung GS6 Case, Gold
Case-Mate Tough Samsung GS6 Case, Gold
Offered by Layger
Price: CDN$ 20.02
15 used & new from CDN$ 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid case for a good price., Nov. 21 2015
Really solid case. It protects without being too bulky.

The case is a full rubberized cover (back and sides) with a hard plastic shell you snap on the back over the rubber case. There are metallic gold buttons on the side, unfortunately only one of my buttons (down volume) make a really satisfying click sound and feel, while the other two (the up volume and power button) feel softer and don't click as much. This is one very minor flaw in an otherwise very satisfying case. The rubber is raised slightly in the front around the screen and the camera bump of the S6 is protected because the back of the case is thick enough to keep the bump from touching a flat surface.

This would be a solid 5 if it weren't were for the buttons (which bother me more than they should). I have another casemate case that has metallic buttons and they all click evenly, so I know this particular case I have is "defective" or at the very least not as quality as the other one.

Bauli Croissant Crema (Vanilla), 300gm
Bauli Croissant Crema (Vanilla), 300gm
Price: CDN$ 4.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical Croissant., Nov. 21 2015
I'm a fan of Bauli products, they're always pretty decent. These croissants do not taste like the typical buttery croissants you get in the bakery or grocery store, they very like other Bauli products where they have a light almost alcoholic taste to it (reminds me a bit of the alcoholic taste you get in tiramisu). The vanilla was tasty and the pastry itself was individually wrapped and soft. This sort of reminds me of the Bauli Chantilly Cupcakes they used to make, which were delicious. Would definitely recommend with the note that these are not typical croissants in flavour but something slightly different (but definitely worth the try).

On a side note... I really don't like their chocolate one because for some reason the chocolate they use is just no where near as good as the vanilla one.

MBI by MCS 12-Inch by 12-Inch Scrapbook Expansion Pages, 6-Count, 12 Pages
MBI by MCS 12-Inch by 12-Inch Scrapbook Expansion Pages, 6-Count, 12 Pages
Price: CDN$ 7.58
19 used & new from CDN$ 7.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good., Nov. 21 2015
These pages fit perfectly with the Embossed "Friends" Gloss Expressions 12-Inch by 12-Inch Page Top Load Scrapbook. Same quality as what comes in the original book. Only issue is that where the hole were punched some of them were a bit tricky to separate, but nothing major. Would definitely buy again.

MCS MBI by Embossed "Friends" Gloss Expressions 12-Inch by 12-Inch Page Top Load Scrapbook, Teal, 13.2 X 12.5 Overall
Price: CDN$ 20.15
22 used & new from CDN$ 20.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid choice with minor flaw., Nov. 21 2015
This is a very nice book and the colour is true to the picture. The back has no words or design on it and that was fine with me. There are 10 insert pages included in the book for a total of 20 scrapbook pages back to back when you insert them. There was little to no issues with fitting all the pages in.

My one complaint was that it wasn't very straightforward to expand the book and add new pages. Maybe I did it wrong but you have to have some kind of tool or maybe two nickel sized coins to unscrew the binding (there are no instructions included on how you would go about this). I bought the MBI by MCS 12-Inch by 12-Inch Scrapbook Expansion Pages, 6-Count, 12 Pages and it fit perfectly with this book as well.

New SHARKK Apple iPad Mini Keyboard Bluetooth Case Cover Stand For 7.9 Inch New Mini iPad With 360 Degree Rotating Feature And Multiple Viewing Angles. Folio Style. For the iPad MINI ONLY

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall great case! Get this one as the perfect stand (rotates) and keyboard combo., July 25 2014
Fits the iPad mini retina perfectly and seems pretty solid build wise. Very light and has a nice rubberized hard plastic feel to the outside with aluminum pieces here and there. Keyboard is small, but that's to be expected (as well as getting used to using the function key in order to get some punctuation). Key buttons and ports seem accessible and the stand is sturdy and doesn't topple. Overall I feel that this case is a great value and my iPad feels protected to a certain degree. I'll see if I remember to do an update at a later time on how it holds up. My only (selfish) wish was that it was available in more colours on Amazon.ca

Keturah and Lord Death
Keturah and Lord Death
by Martine Leavitt
Price: CDN$ 12.95
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully woven tale..., Sept. 26 2008
This review is from: Keturah and Lord Death (Paperback)
Story revolves around a young girl with a talent for storytelling, who strikes a bargain with death. Basically it's like what the back of the book says. I bought this book and got exactly what I was expecting; a light read and engrossing story with minor some twists and turns. There were times where I wanted to strangle secondary characters, but overall it's a lovely tale. I highly recommend this book if you're a fan of fairy tales and the concept of 'true love'. Not strictly for young adult readers, although the lack of depth might bother some more mature readers. It's one of those books you read to find out the ending and how everything plays out.