Profile for J. R. Uder > Reviews

Content by J. R. Uder

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J. R. Uder "I'll read anything I can get my mitts on" (Lebanon, MO USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Sirens (Widescreen) [Import]
Sirens (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Hugh Grant
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 70.66
11 used & new from CDN$ 19.39

5.0 out of 5 stars a work of art, July 1 2004
This review is from: Sirens (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
Although I'd love to bore the readers with my thoughtful analysis of this incredible film, I will restrain myself, because the previous reviews (especially those concerning mythologies) are quite thorough and nicely stated.
What I *would* like to point out are the easter eggs throughout the film. Any art buff will have a wonderful experience as classic works of art are recreated "live" during the movie. The movie is worth watching just to see how many you can catch.
But the deeper plot of the movie is art in itself. I highly recommend.

Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
by Howard F. Lyman
Price: CDN$ 12.27
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars more on diabetes and veganism, Oct. 26 2003
One of the problems in this book seems to be that people are bothered Lyman's gloss over diabetes. While it's true that type-I (or "juvenille") diabetics do not produce enough insulin to meet even basal-insulin needs (this the amount of insulin a person would need even if she wasn't eating anything), I think that Lyman probably meant that a vegan diet can help diabetics in other ways.
A diet which includes a lot of animal products is very high in cholesterol. All people, diabetic or otherwise, should watch their cholesterol levels... but diabetics, both type-I and type-II, tend have higher levels of cholesterol than "healthy" individuals; therefore, they are already at a higher risk for cholesterol-related problems (hardening of arteries, high blood pressure, and heart disease). If a diabetic turns to a vegan diet, she can significantly reduce her cholesterol levels, which would stave off cholesterol-related problems.

Philokalia
Philokalia
by Scott Cairns
15 used & new from CDN$ 25.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Cairns is an inspiration, July 8 2003
This review is from: Philokalia (Paperback)
I took a literature class with Scott Cairns, and (I have to be honest) he is absolutely enchanting. I've never heard a man read poetry quite like he can--drawing out meanings without imposing his "self" upon the words. I was so impressed by his teaching style that I began investigating his work, and I was enthralled all over again.
Philokalia is a exploration of the spiritual, but it's also incredibly grounded; Cairns never loses sight of the ~body~ (and yes, sometimes "it hurts to see"). I think that tomorrow's literature classes will be citing Cairns as one of the most profound poets of this time period.
Scott's work has been (and I most sincerely hope) will continue to be an inspiration for me.

Feel Good Naked: 10 No-Diet Secrets to a Fabulous Body
Feel Good Naked: 10 No-Diet Secrets to a Fabulous Body
by Laure Redmond
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel Fabulous in the Buff, June 1 2003
I love this book. Laure writes with honesty and frank discussion about "body hate," a distressing emotion that we've all encountered at some time during our lives.
Laure used to be fat, but she overcame her problems with eating and is now a respected fitness and life-style expert. Her recommendations are simple and easy to follow. Drink lots of water. Treat yourself. Sit up straight. Exercise for 10 minutes a day. In all, there are 10 steps in her program. Nothing is grueling or so difficult that a regular woman (or man!) couldn't handle it.
I'm planning on buying this book for my sister and my mom.
Give it a try for 8 weeks, and I promise you'll feel better about your body.

Kundalini Yoga - Vhs
Kundalini Yoga - Vhs
VHS
8 used & new from CDN$ 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, beautiful, energizing, May 24 2003
This review is from: Kundalini Yoga - Vhs (VHS Tape)
I love Gurmukh; she's a calm, centered, inspiring woman. She leads the viewer through a logical set of Kundalini exercises that really do arouse the life energy in your body.
Note to all -- Kundalini yoga is not what most people picture when they think of yoga. Hatha yoga, which includes stretching and more strength-based moves, is nothing like Kundalini. With Gurmukh as your guide, you'll be getting up and ~moving~ to really get your heart rate up.
The video is looks very professional, and it's set in a gorgeous tropical clearing. The music is scored to help engergize you; it builds with the workout. Gurmukh doesn't actually participate in the exercises except to demonstrate. Rather, there are 3 students doing the moves at different intensities.
Having been practicing yoga for the last 10 years, I highly recommend this video (and anything else that Gurmukh teaches) if you'd like to center and energize your life.

A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two
A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 10.79
66 used & new from CDN$ 2.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but a bit slower than Book 1, May 23 2003
It was good, yes. Good in the manner that GRRM makes everything he touches into an epic saga of love, war, and grim circumstances. This novel was somewhat slower than the first volume; it covers a lot more politics. We are allowed a more intimate view of serveral characters (refreshingly, not all the perspectives are reprisals of the first novel), but some of it seems rather dry and forced.
If you enjoyed the first novel, DO read this one, too. It's worth the hours (and hours and hours) you'll invest in it... to get to the next book, in which the storyline picks up considerably.

A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three
A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three
Price: CDN$ 15.16
47 used & new from CDN$ 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars GRRM contines a great series..., May 23 2003
GRRM continues a great series without running the storyline(s) into the ground. We're introduced into a few new perspectives, so we get to see the world fresh... well, colored by the motives and opinions of the characters we love and hate. Jaime's perspective was quite welcome (not just because we share a name). Davos the Onion Knight, with his high ideals (despite his former life as a smuggler), has wormed his way into my favorites. And, strangely, I'm totally in love with Jon, the ever-popular Bastard of Winterfell.
I'd hate to simply repeat what other reviewers have said, so I'll just be breif: if you enjoyed the previous two novels in this series, you will enjoy this one.

A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One
A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One
Price: CDN$ 25.71
33 used & new from CDN$ 19.57

5.0 out of 5 stars George R.R. Martin starts an intriguing series, May 23 2003
I was skeptical about starting this series. I had been reading a lot of Robert Jordan and was getting rather disgusted with series fantasy in general. I'm so glad that I decided to go ahead and plunge into this series. Before I'd finished this volume, I came back to Amazon and bought the next two; I didn't want to have to wait to continue in this facinating story.
The Starks of Winterfell seem to have a perfect life--Ned, the father, is a Lord renouned for his justice; Catelyn has five wonderful children and a loving husband. When Ned's good friend, who happens to be king of the Westeros, makes a long journey to ask Ned to be his Hand... it sets off a chain of events that will eventually rip them all apart.
The most wonderful aspect of this story is that the "bad guys" are not all bad. And the "good guys" are not all good. Everyone has an agenda, everyone has some personal perogative. Start this series, and you will not be disappointed.

Pilates Beginning Mat Workout
Pilates Beginning Mat Workout
VHS
9 used & new from CDN$ 8.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A good beginner's workout, May 23 2003
If "couch potato" accurately describes both your life-style AND the shape of your body, you might want to look into Pilates. This video is meant for beginners; Ana goes through each exercise (noting correct posture and focal areas on which you should concentrate), and also has a student beside her doing a drummed-down version of the exersice for those of us who don't have abs of steel.
You WILL feel the burn (notably the next morning after your first few sessions) if you do the exercises correctly. But remember that this is a toning workout; it's not designed to help you lose weight. Work-outs like this one need to be combined with a cardio session if you want to really trim your middle and see those long, shapely leg muscles emerge.
After you've become familiar with the exercises (say, 6 weeks or so, if you use the video every day), I'd recommend stepping up to a more challenging Pilates video.

Sensual Art of Bellydance
Sensual Art of Bellydance

5.0 out of 5 stars This video made me feel pretty, Aug. 1 2002
I got this video series to tone up. I had abdominal surgery several months ago, and the scars were making me feel as "un"sensual as possible. AND -- I'll fess up -- I'm not a toothpick girl with a flat tummy or a tiny rear end. I'm a regular gal who looks nice in a size 8. I was a little nervous about trying something that required my pale, scarred middle to be out in the open.
After practicing the series every day for 4 weeks, I lot 4 inches off my tummy, and 3 inches off my rear. My clothes fit better, and I look forward to practicing every day. I hate to exercise, by the way... but I really like this series. The dancing distracts you from the actual exercise you're getting.
Veena and Neena look like real, honest-to-god women, with a little bit of lower-tummy padding, and a just right amount on their upper ams and hips. They aren't frail little toothpick women like you often see on t.v. shows [cue Callista] or typical workout videos. That they were proud of their curves was a huge inspiration for me to bare my tummy too.
Someone mentioned the "voice over" instructions being impersonal. I can only say that I am practically deaf, wearing a hearing aid, and a cochlear implant, and I was able to clearly understand everything being said without using closed captioning.
I found the videos to be both challenging and fun. Each video has its own costumes and choreography; you won't be bored by repetitiveness between the 3 videos. I recommend it, even if the music is slightly cheesy.

Page: 1 | 2