Profile for rickybobpat > Reviews

Content by rickybobpat

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

rickybobpat

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, incorrect documentation, Jan. 20 2012
GTMax USB 2.0 to Sata / IDE Adapter Cable

I ordered this product. I have a 2.5" IDE/ATA disk. The package I ordered only includes one item - described as a USB to SATA/IDE adapter cable. (There are many different flavours of this package to order, so you must choose carefully! Most of the other packages include a 2-piece power supply supply cable, a 4-wire power cable (for 3.5 " IDE/ATA drives), and also a red SATA cable, and as I know I do not have these things, I selected his package as it does not come with stuff I do no need.)

It was the "IDE" part of this description I used to make by decision, which I believe is enough to allow you to convert a 2.5" (laptop) hard drive with an IDE hard drive, to USB. The name IDE has long been replaced by the name ATA (for AT Adapter), and these both implement a parallel technology, which itself, due to the recent development of Serial ATA (SATA) has since been renamed PATA (parallel ATA). The older, larger 3.5" Winchester-type hard drives, for desktop computers, have a 40-pin IDE/ATA connector, which does not supply power, as this is done via a separate 4-pin (Molex) power cable. The newer 2.5" laptop IDE/ATA drives have a 44-pin, slightly smaller connector, and the 4 extra pins are there to include the power connections all in one unit. So, you need the power supply part of the various packages offered for sale if you have a 3.5 " ATA disk, but not if you have a 2.5 " disk. And you need a package with the red SATA cable if you have a newer, SATA disk.

The item I received has a 44-pin female adapter on one edge, and the slightly larger 40-pin connector form on the other edge. There is also what appears to be a 7-pin SATA connector on the flat side as well (but no SATA cable in the package I ordered). I believe what I have received is (in order of chronological development) a IDE/ATA/PATA/SATA 2.5"/3.5" to USB connector.

The 44 pin edge of this adapter connected to the 44 pins of my 2.5" ATA hard drive no problem, but other than the cable connector actually fitting, nothing worked. There was absolutely no response from my Windows XP SP3 computer when I plugged the USB connector into it. It should have at least beeped, and possibly prompted me to install some drivers, but there was no response at all. No extra disk appears in the "My Computer" view.

Also, the documentation that came with it implies that there are 4 pieces in the package, the other 3 being the separate power cable required for the 40-pin 3.5" IDE/ATA/PATA connection, as well a a CD and User's manual. The CD, had it been present, presumably contains drivers if you have Windows 98 or Mac, according to he "USER MANUAL", which was a 4" by 6" piece of paper that says "USER'S MANUAL" on it, so my package really contained 2 items, this cable adapter and the "USER MANUAL". The "Manual" describes working with a separate power supply part, that would be for the 40-pin larger IDE/ATA connection I was not using. It did not show the simpler instructions for a 2.5", 44-pin part of the cable used for laptop disks, which do need to hook up a power supply cable. So, after much time researching all this stuff in this review, I think I received the right adapter to do what I want, but it just does not work.

So, I am not impressed with this experience.

Update: The seller contacted me offering a replacement item at no charge. This second came in the mail and worked properly as other have described. Plug the adapter onto the pins of your hard drive, plug it in, and then the hard drive works like any other USB memory device. Simple no frills but works. And I am happy with this seller.

Learning Python: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming
Learning Python: Powerful Object-Oriented Programming
by Mark Lutz
7 used & new from CDN$ 51.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Ton'o-reading, Jan. 18 2012
This book is quite easy to read yet a very comprehensive study of the Python language, discussing both 2.x and 3.x releases when necessary, which have enough differences that this has to be done. You could be a complete novice at programming and still get be able to use this book, but it is also detailed and in-depth enough to challenge experienced programmers learning this amazing language. There are both quizes and programming assignments do do. Well worth the money. Be prepared to be reading this book for quite a few weeks....