Profile for ViAmber > Reviews

Content by ViAmber

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

ViAmber (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Shutter Island: A Novel
Shutter Island: A Novel
by Dennis Lehane
Price: CDN$ 23.91
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Did I Blink?, March 7 2004
Caution, SPOILERS.
Please, please, please someone write and explain the ending to me. I truly did not get it (and I'm not usually dumb)!! If we are to believe the ending, how is everything else explained? How did he and Chuck get there in the first place? Was that "made up" too? I thought it was very intriguing until the end. I felt duped.

George Washington (Widescreen)
George Washington (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Candace Evanofski
Price: CDN$ 42.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 18.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, Oct. 17 2003
If I could give it "0" stars I would.
Had I seen this in the theatre I would have walked out. It was THAT BAD. The dialogue of the children is pompous, self-important, self-conscious and worst of all wanting us, the audience, to actually believe that the characters would be spouting this mess! The blond little girl was at least interesting until she opened her mouth and tried to wax philosophica. Pitiful and unbelievable!
Do not waste your money, time or energy on this movie. The writing, acting and directing were all horrible.

Ties That Bind
Ties That Bind
by Phillip Margolin
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, but too many characters and too many questions!, Sept. 13 2003
This review is from: Ties That Bind (Hardcover)
This is my first Phillip Margolin novel and at first I was excited and intrigued after the first few pages. Then....as many of you have noted, he started introducing too many characters!!! I had to keep flipping backwards, in order to "remember" who these people were! And I'm still confused about the FBI agent, J.D. Hunter. I thought he was the bad guy??? Didn't he do something weird in the beginning of the book that made him look suspicious? But, I'm really puzzled by two things: when Amanda is doing research at the library she pulls out a drawer marked "animals treatment" and flips through till she finds several cards for Pedro Aragon. HUH? Can someone please explain the reference to me? I just didn't get that. And the second thing is the "slender" man--wasn't he one of the kidnappers from the garage? And then he appears later as her ally? I found this inconsistent and would appreciate any answers.
I guess this was the "suspension of disbelief" that other readers mentioned, but it does mar the enjoyment for me.

The Talented Mr. Ripley, Ripley Under Ground, Ripley's Game
The Talented Mr. Ripley, Ripley Under Ground, Ripley's Game
Price: CDN$ 21.32
34 used & new from CDN$ 4.16

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the Sante Fe Reader!, Aug. 27 2002
I, too, am on a Patricia Highsmith "high." She is awesome! Her characters are undescribably delicious! I am now reading THE ANIMAL LOVERS BOOK OF BEASTLY MURDERS and I'm telling you it's not for the faint-hearted. She is not afraid to tackle the taboo (like killing babies). How she can get into the minds of such diverse animals as cockroaches, pigs, horses, cats, dogs and hamsters I don't know. I wish she were still alive so I could enjoy more. But like you, Santa Fe reader, I have much more to read at my disposal! Enjoy! Oh---and I look forward to reading STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. Thanks for the tip.

Ripley Under Ground
Ripley Under Ground
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I Did Not Sleep!, July 1 2002
This review is from: Ripley Under Ground (Paperback)
The last two chapters of this book were riveting! The description of what Tom did while trying to cremate that body drew shudders: "Another try with the shovel at the head brought no results..nor would his foot if he stomped on it, Tom knew...he rolled the smoking form toward the grave he had dug..." And on and on! Jeesh! Is this man a monster or what? If you are squeamish this is not the book for you. This is the second book in the "series." I, too, didn't read in order. I finished "Ripley Under Water" before this one and I really enjoyed Tom's shenanigans in that one. But this one!! Fathuh! Fathuh! I thoroughly enjoyed gasping out loud at his insanity. His thought processes are outlandish. You can just hear Jeff and Ed thinking "the man must be demented." As for his wife, I understood her a lot better in this book than in "Under Water". I loved Tom's little idiosyncrasies regarding personal hygiene issues and his little disparaging comments about his fellow man. My guess as to why he is less self-effacing than in "Talented Mr. Ripley" is that now he has gotten what he wants: a life of luxury with no money worries.
I am so sorry that there is no more to the series after "Under Water." Patricia Highsmith is unparalleled in her straight forward depictions of murder and the mind of a sociopath.

Ripley Under Water
Ripley Under Water
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Much French, N'ece Pas?, May 19 2002
This review is from: Ripley Under Water (Paperback)
This was my first Patricia Highsmith book, and I, too, picked it up because I had seen the movie "The Talented Mr. Ripley". I couldn't find that book, so started with this one. It took a while to "get into" the story, but I was quickly compelled. The one drawback: too many french phrases that I had to spend time either trying to figure out from the context of the sentence or look up the meanings from the on-line french-to-english dictionaries. Some words just weren't there. Mon dieu! Aside from those irritations, I found the story to be fascinating, particularly with Tom's relationships to those around him. Heloise, for instance. Sometimes, it seemed like she viewed him with antagonism or thinly veiled contempt. Her responses were too cool at times. Not like a wife. Why don't they sleep together? Is there more about their relationship in previous books? I thought the relationship with the friend that came over from England was also interesting. I so enjoyed the scene where they witness the Pritchards falling into their pond. You could truly sense Tom's utter delight that his nemesis was going to drown! I loved it! And how he had to tame his obvious enthusiasm so that his friend wouldn't find him totally reprehensible! Brilliant writing. I will definitely read more of her books and am sad the series is over.

The Lake of Darkness
The Lake of Darkness
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Woman Can Write!, April 22 2002
This review is from: The Lake of Darkness (Paperback)
Yes, she does put Grisham to shame. As well as Grafton and the rest. I would say she's on at least a par with Jeffrey Ashford. What is it about these British authors?
This story has become one of my favorite Rendell novels. It is definitely "a keeper." She really has a way with dissecting her characters---and they are so nefarious! Tim! Francesca! What a surprise! And did you notice how clever the author was in making it seem like it was Russell who met his demise? I had to flip back several times to be sure of the time sequence.
A great, suspenseful, well-told story. You won't be disappointed. Almost as good as "Sight for Sore Eyes."

Standoff
Standoff
by Sandra Brown
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
97 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It Wasn't That Bad!, April 9 2002
This review is from: Standoff (Mass Market Paperback)
Whew, you guys are cold-blooded in your reviews of this book! Sure, it's not her best work and it was hastily written, but I found it entertaining. Predictable up to a point...I was certainly surprised at the *twist* thrown in regarding the Mexicans. (I do not agree, by the way, with a previous reviewer who found her writing racist. If you have read other Sandra Brown novels you know that she is an "equal opportunity" character writer. Very diverse and very fair in her descriptions.)
Yes, the love story between Tiel and Doc was predicitable. Again, if you know Sandra Brown you know that she is renowned for her steamy, explicit sex scenes! The men are always, tall, dark and handsome as well as well endowed and equipped with sexual prowess. So, that's to be expected.
Don't give up on Sandra Brown. Read "The Witness" for a riveting read. "Up in Smoke" ain't bad either.

The Corrections / Jonathan Franzen
The Corrections / Jonathan Franzen
by Jonathan Franzen
87 used & new from CDN$ 1.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Correct Me If I'm Wrong But..., April 5 2002
....is this book boringly pedantic or what? I think Franzen needs a spanking for putting his readers through paragraph after paragraph, page after page of extraneous details. I simply skipped these passages until I got back to the main thread of the narrative. Alas, I must admit I did keep reading because of *all the hype* I had read about this book. NONE of the characters is likeable! I think that's the main thing that stuck with me. He's a good writer. He has a way with words, I'll give him that much. But, overall, the book is much ado about nothing.

Open Season
Open Season
by Linda Howard
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Gimme a Break!, April 5 2002
This review is from: Open Season (Hardcover)
This is the 3rd Linda Howard book I've read and this was the worst yet. Daisy is unbelievable. Are we to believe that she's so boring, plain, and unsophisticated and YET SHE SLEEPS WITH JACK IN A HEARTBEAT? Wasn't she supposed to be "virginal?" (An interesting twist would have been for Jack to have walked away, saying "see ya later.") Her prim and proper attitude just got on my last nerves. And the plot....so, so predictable from the first time Jack steps into the library! I did enjoy the criminal element to the story and wish there had been more of that. I'm just tired of all of these romance-suspense-humor books where the main characters have virtually NO FLAWS. The sex is always "perfect" (can no one ever have a bad day? NOT have a fantastic orgasm? Be impotent?), their lives are perfect--no one ever has a gambling problem or money problems. I mean, how about a slice of real life? And Jack and Daisy don't even know each other, but they're getting married? And...let me not forget his irritating stalking/overprotective/sexist behavior! Oh, he just got on my last nerves. Maybe it's the genre of these books...the "damsel in distress" syndrome always having to be rescued by "the man of her dreams." I want something more real thrown in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3