Profile for james morris > Reviews

Content by james morris

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

james morris

The Hitchhiker: The Complete Collection
The Hitchhiker: The Complete Collection
DVD ~ Bill Paxton
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 34.27
4 used & new from CDN$ 20.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, Oct. 5 2011
Saw a copy of this item in Sunrise today. As previous reviewer noted, "Entire HBO series" is mentioned on the front and back of box. One disturbing piece of info is that the run time is listed on the back as "approx. 12 hr and 30 min". If this is correct, then the best we can expect is the 39 HBO episodes and not the remaining USA episodes. I hope the run time is incorrect.

UPDATE (HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT): Curiosity got the better of me, and I bought this set. Big mistake. Set consists of 6 discs with 5 episodes per disc (ie. 30 total). My guess is that "complete collection" consists of previously issued 3 volumes of 10 episodes each "best of" packages, but I don't have the energy to confirm this. If you are looking for 30 random episodes of this series, then this set is for you. Otherwise, I would give it a pass.

UPDATE #2: In response to Mike Deluca's querry, vendors receive product prior to release date and occasionally copies appear on local store shelves a few days before the official release date. This is how I secured my copy. Subsequent to my review, TVShowsOnDVD (an excellent website) received confirmation from Alliance regarding the 750 minute run time for this release (equivalent to 30 episodes).

Car 54 Where Are You?
Car 54 Where Are You?
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 33.41
23 used & new from CDN$ 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars great series, horrible packaging, April 12 2011
This review is from: Car 54 Where Are You? (DVD)
Just received my copy of series today. I was shocked to discover that packaging used was the same "clipped tray" design, where one disc rests on top of the one below, used by Alliance in their New Outer Limits and Lexx issues of last year. Everyone hated this packaging (see reviews of these series), given how prone it is to disc scratching and damage. Having said this, due to the excellence of the series and the superb Amazon customer service, I would still buy this series but be prepared for potential returns due to damaged discs.

Update (Shock #2): Started watching series only to quickly discover that episodes are not in original broadcast order! Episodes are randomly scattered across the 4 discs. This is somewhat annoying since some early quest stars (the Schnausers) later became series regulars in different roles. Others have judged the video quality as good but I personally found it to be a little sub par in terms of dirt and missing frames. Starting to feel like release could have used a bit more attention to detail.

Outer Limits - The Complete Season 7 (Bilingual)
Outer Limits - The Complete Season 7 (Bilingual)
Offered by biddeal
Price: CDN$ 30.75

4.0 out of 5 stars May want to check disc 1 title 3, Oct. 8 2010
Just received my copy from Amazon today. As expected a few discs were "floaters" and thus scratched. This Alliance "stacked" packaging is appalling but scratches usually do not effect playability. I attempted to view disc 1 but could not get title 3 (A New Life) to play on any of my DVD players. In the past, when I have experienced this problem, it has been a DVD coding issue and common to all copies. If you have purchased this set, you may wish to check.
UPDATE: Just received replacement set from Amazon (Great service). A few of the discs have minor scratches but set appears to be playable (i.e. no problem playing disc 1 title 3).