Profile for Manta > Reviews

Content by Manta

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Manta (Baltimore, MD United States)

Joshua
Joshua
by Joseph Girzone
Price: CDN$ 13.71
127 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and thought provoking, Dec 4 2003
This review is from: Joshua (Paperback)
I picked up this book not knowing anything about it. I was simply in the library and saw this book on the shelf. I thought it was going to be about the biblical Joshua. Wow, was I surprised and quite delighted! I agree 100% with the author's message in this book. I'll leave it at that.
I did not give it 5 stars as the message could have been delivered in less pages. The story got repetitive after a while.
Overall, I recommend this book to all open minded Jews and Christians. If you are a conservative Christian, don't read this book unless you are very open minded. Else, you'll just get yourself upset.

The Congruent Life: Following the Inward Path to Fulfilling Work and Inspired Leadership
by C. Michael Thompson
Price: CDN$ 30.23
24 used & new from CDN$ 13.88

2.0 out of 5 stars A good start, but finishes weak, Oct. 21 2003
I had high expectations of this book but was let down. The author starts on the right foot but loses momentum. I got to the middle of the book and felt that the only way to live a congruent life is to leave my job and become a monk! His tone and attitude toward work are VERY negative. The author is also very "preachy". He is pretentious and writes in "holier that thou" language. Awakening Corporate Soul is much better.

Awakening Corporate Soul: Four Paths to Unleash the Power of People at Work
Awakening Corporate Soul: Four Paths to Unleash the Power of People at Work
by Eric Klein
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, Oct. 21 2003
This is a great book. Though I personally look at my Christian beliefs as workplace inspiration, I like hearing more holistic points of view. This book does a nice job of balancing eastern and western philosophy and religion in its view of work. It is a very positive book and realistic. This book is not pretentious like most spirituality in business books.
I enjoyed reading the book and hope these two authors write followup books on this same subject.

The Thirteenth Floor (Special Edition)
The Thirteenth Floor (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Craig Bierko
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 50.33
9 used & new from CDN$ 17.12

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK, Oct. 21 2003
I saw the Matrix and Reloaded before viewing this movie (just to clear the air). I liked it but it was very predictable. One other reviewer mentioned that this film left out the FX in order to be more of a thinking film. Think about what? The Matrix was rich in philosophical, theological, psychological, mathematical, and spiritual content. This movie had dablings, but not much. My wife absolutly HATED this movie. I though it was ok. There was no real "AHA!" moment (though I know where the directors wanted you to say AHA!). Perhaps I'm a bit biased to the Matrix, but this movie did not go as deep and simply skimmed the surface of "what is real". Next on my list is eXistenZ.