ARRAY(0xa9732b84)

Profile for q2king87 > Reviews

Content by q2king87

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"q2king87" (CT)

Page: 1 | 2
Metallica
Metallica
Price: CDN$ 12.46
14 used & new from CDN$ 7.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album but definetly not the best, Feb. 26 2003
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
I've been arguing with several of my friends who think this is the best Metallica album. They are quite mistaken, as most of you know. That honor most definetly goes to Master of Puppets, one of the greatest albums EVER. To say that this one is better is sacrilegious. Is this album bad? No. Is it great? Not really. I used to love it to death because i didn't know any better, but now i listen to better music (Dream Theater :P) and have realized how talented musicians can get.. and now i know that MOP was there pinnacle.
That's because Metallica changes so much on this album. The songs are much slower, Hetfield's voice is different, Ulrich's drums are far too loud. Newsted just does what he does, and Hammett's solos aren't what they used to be. They just aren't.
Take the power ballads from Master of Puppets (Sanatarium), Ride the Lightning (Fade to Black), ...And Justice for All (One) and The Black Album (Unforgiven). Unforgiven is a decent song, but nowhere closes to the aforementioned masterpieces. This is an accessible, slower, calmer, more mainstream album. I know a girl and she doesn't like any hard Metallica but she says "Nothing Else Matters" is her favorite song. That's how much they've changed.. she doesn't even like their defining sound but she likes a song from this album because it's quiet and PRETTY. So this album is good for Metallica newbies and some girls. Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning are still the best, check them out, metalheads.

Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
Price: CDN$ 14.34
34 used & new from CDN$ 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Album. EVER., Feb. 23 2003
I think the title explains it well enough. This album is the greatest album of all time. Every time i listen to it I'm blown away. Every time i listen to it i get chills because it's so good. First off i think concept albums are a fascinating concept (ha) and i really enjoy them. This one is definetly the best one i've ever heard. Dream Theater is a PHENOMENAL band. The guitar, drum, bass, keyboard, and vocal work on this cd are amazing. One reviewer (i THINK for this album) said, "Grammy? Ha! This is worthy of a Nobel Prize!" It's true. The talent is unspeakably good, all the songs are incredible, and they tell a story.
1. Regression - 2 minute accoustic song, nice and relaxing to start the album
2. Overture 1928 - GREAT instrumental song. Very catchy guitar work.
3. Strange Deja Vu - awesome song. Nice and heavy, kind of haunting (There's a room at the top of the stairs/ Every night i'm drawn up there) i love that line..
4. Through my words - very short song, just piano and vocals, but beautiful anyway
5. Fatal Tragedy - spooky, heavy and melodic. Good lyrics (Write more songs, Myung!) EXCELLENT guitar and keyboard solos. 2nd best song on the album
6. Beyond this Life - very heavy.. if you look in the cd pullout the lyrics are actually exactly whats written on the newspaper. Very cool. Great solos as well.
7. Through her eyes - Call me soft, but i LOVE Dream Theater's slow songs just as much as the heavy ones. Fans dont seem to like this song if you look at other reviews.. but I do! check out the live version, its amazing.
8. Home - VERY catchy chorus.. the indian citar kind of effect is weird but i like it, the only thing wrong with this song is the vocals in the beginning get to me (The ones where LaBrie holds the notes for like 7 seconds)
9. The Dance of Eternity - Better instrumental than Overture 1928.. lovin the ragtime piano and the bass solo!
10. One Last Time - Good song. There are better songs but this one is solid.
11. The Spirit Carries on - FANTASTIC slow song. Killer solo and vocals.
12. Finally Free - best song on the album. I love every note in this song. I'm not even exaggerating.
There you have it, the best album of all time. GO GET IT! NOW!

Number of the Beast
Number of the Beast
Price: CDN$ 17.98
19 used & new from CDN$ 11.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god for "Number of the Beast", Feb. 21 2003
This review is from: Number of the Beast (Audio CD)
IF this is not the greatest Maiden cd (i constantly debate between this and Piece of Mind) then its 2nd best, and nipping at the heels of its champion. This cd is LOADED with awesome songs.. And because the whole album is amazing i'll go through the tracks.
1. Invaders - a great opener. Good solo, catchy guitar, good song.
2. Children of the Damned - Sounds like Metallica's Fade to Black, but this song came first. "Damned" good song! ;P
3. Prisoner - awesome. Catchy, memorable chorus, cool intro, awesome solo. Very good.
4. 22 Acacia Avenue - Good song, but not one that blows me away
5. Number of the Beast - but THIS one blows me away. AWESOME title track. Cool gothic kind of lyrics, great solos by Adrian and Dave, good bass, awesome intro.
6. Run to the Hills - as good as the title track. Also phenomenal words and music.
7. Gangland - eh. Doesn't do too much for me, but i assume that might have to do with following tracks 5 and 6
8. Total Eclipse - good song, but not a memorable one
9. Hallowed be thy name - AWESOME, GREAT, AMAZING, and everything else. Maiden's best epic without a doubt (sorry mariner, alexander, to tame a land, etc.) Great riffs, good solo (although every time i hear it i want to hear the solo from "The Prisoner" in it.. but the one in it now is still great.. EXCELLENT words.. just an unbelievably well done song. I could not imagine a better way to close a great cd.

Operation: Mindcrime
Operation: Mindcrime
Offered by dodax-online
Price: CDN$ 9.49
22 used & new from CDN$ 2.93

5.0 out of 5 stars I guess i'll add another 5 star review to the collection, Feb. 21 2003
This review is from: Operation: Mindcrime (Audio CD)
GREAT cd. I love the story, its really intriguing. I love the vocal bits in front of the songs, and Tate really does live up to the praise he gets. I'm fascinated by concept albums (Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater is my favorite album of all time) this album is very good. Tate is phenomenal, and the instrumentalists (while they can't match DT's virtuosity) are good and still very fun to hear. If you like good rock, (TALENTED rock mind you, no Good Charlotte) and/or concept albums, this is for you.

Images and Words
Images and Words
Price: CDN$ 12.13
42 used & new from CDN$ 3.20

5.0 out of 5 stars The breakout album, Feb. 17 2003
This review is from: Images and Words (Audio CD)
It goes without saying that this album is great. If you're a Dream Theater fan you're probably familiar with most of the songs, and you KNOW Metropolis and Pull me Under. These are very good songs, and deserve the recognition they get. However, I just read a review saying that besides Metropolis, Learning to Live, Pull me Under, and Take the Time, the album is full of filler.. (He gave the album 5 stars, i'm not trying to attack him) but that's simply not true. Under a Glass Moon remains one of my favorites, with a really cool chorus with heavy riffs and mystical keyboard in the background, and then a KILLER guitar solo by Petrucci that is one of his best. Another Day is beautiful, a nice slow song by Dream Theater, (They have plenty of great ones), and Surrounded and Wait for Sleep are both solid. I don't have When Dream and Day Unite, but I have everything else, and Dream Theater has never let me down yet. 5 Stars to the best band in the world.

Live Scenes from New York
Live Scenes from New York
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 42.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 37.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Still in shock, Feb. 16 2003
Yes, it's a cliche to say "at times i forgot i was listening to a live cd!!" but i really did. During "The dance of eternity," i had the scenes from a memory cd case lying on my bed, and for 10 seconds i thought it was the studio version. There's not enough to be said about this cd. All the members do a phenomenal job. The "through her eyes" with a new solo in it is much better, "Silent Man" with all members playing is really cool, "learning to live" is just incredible. Portnoy's drumming at the end of "finally free" (the fill part) is astonishing. Change of Seasons is really cool.. it never ceases to amaze me that these guys can play their best for 3 hours and never skip a beat, riff, bassline, or whatever. The only thing that i thought was bad is in fatal tragedy, Portnoy and Petrucci mess up during "there can be no turning back/there can be no peace of mind.." but Petrucci makes up for it with a killer solo. Its worth your money if you like dream theater, without a doubt.

Blizzard Of Ozz
Blizzard Of Ozz
Price: CDN$ 9.49
9 used & new from CDN$ 3.21

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm fifteen!, Jan. 30 2003
This review is from: Blizzard Of Ozz (Audio CD)
I bought this cd last year, and i'm 15 years old. When i was BORN, blizzard had been out for 7 years. After hearing Crazy Train and other songs that i downloaded, i decided to get the cd. It's a very good album, and seeing as how once again, i'm only 15, i had no idea that it wasn't the original. I simply saw the original recording remastered sticker on the front. There has to be a few things illegal with that; saying that it's the original recording remastered when its a completely new recording in half the instruments. I looked inside the cd, and saw only pictures of Ozzy and Randy.. this didn't strike me as strange, because everybody knows they were the stars of the show, regardless of Bob and Lee's talent.
I think the re-recording is an interesting idea. But, I don't support trickery. I was tricked. The album cover is the same, it says "Original Recording Remastered," and a young person like me who wouldnt be able to tell the difference (having never heard the originals,) would be easily fooled. I had no idea until i started reading reviews for the cd.. then i looked at the cd pullout again.. and noticed in small print on about the 5th page of the booklet, in small writing : Re-recording information. There, in that tiny, less than 2 inches of space, was the only indication that this was re-recorded. There's nothing on the outside covers, so you can open the cd and read on that 5th page that you've been tricked, but you can't return it since you already opened it. Clever Ozzy.
3 stars because it's good music.. minus 2 stars because i have lost a lot of respect for the "godfather of metal" for doing something like this. Bad, evil ozzy.

Price: CDN$ 11.56
38 used & new from CDN$ 4.18

5.0 out of 5 stars It's still dream theater, people., Jan. 30 2003
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
I don't see why everybody is so negative about this album. There's no way I'll sit here and try and list all my favorite albums from DT, because it's way too hard. However, Scenes from a Memory is my favorite. I don't understand all these people writing "This cd is OK, but not as good as Images and Words!!" ...Or whatever cd they think is the best.
Dream Theater has a very versatile sound, as any fan knows. They can make so many different kinds of songs, from heavy, like "The Mirror" or "The Glass Prison," They have soft songs like "The Spirit Carries On," "Hollow Years," and "Silent Man." And just about everything else thrown in the middle. I, as well as many other fans, like to hear all these styles of music that DT play in. This album stands out from the best, it's probably the most notably different, but it's not bad at ALL! I'm disappointed in fans that give the cd bad ratings because it's not as heavy as they'd like to be, or it's missing something. The bottom line is that this is another great album from DT.

Price: CDN$ 11.56
38 used & new from CDN$ 4.18

5.0 out of 5 stars It's still dream theater, people., Jan. 30 2003
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)

Page: 1 | 2