Profile for Horatio Horatio > Reviews

Content by Horatio Horatio

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Horatio Horatio (Las Vegas, NV)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12
The Marshall Mathers LP
The Marshall Mathers LP
Price: CDN$ 5.00
52 used & new from CDN$ 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's right, Sept. 3 2003
This review is from: The Marshall Mathers LP (Audio CD)
This is one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard. I'm not even into rap, but after hearing so much about this, I gave it a chance. I'm glad I did. After hearing the Marshall Mathers LP, I have high respect for Eminem. I fully support him in everything he says.
First there's the single hits- The Real Slim Shady, The Way I Am, and Stan. The last two are my favorite tracks here, along with "Kill You" and "Kim". Wow...those two songs right there pretty much go hand in hand. Just go look up the lyrics for some of these songs. If more rappers would write like Eminem, and stop going on about spending money, then I'd probably be into rap more that other types of music.
You've read everyone else's views on this CD here. You know the issues that Eminem got into over this thing's release. And it just gave the album more free publicity. That's a good thing. Everyone should listen to this. From the funny skits to the climax in the song "Kim". You'll look at things differently aftere hearing it. And what's this about Eminem "going pop"? Never. He knows what he's doing. Eminem is straight up, real rap.
Oh yeah, I'm an ICP fan. But I don't care about the silly rivalry between the two artists. I respect them both. Stop hating one and liking the other. Give other music a chance before you start saying negative things about it.

Wreath Of Barbs
Wreath Of Barbs
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 25.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 13.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., Sept. 2 2003
This review is from: Wreath Of Barbs (Audio CD)
First things first, if you've just now heard of Wumpscut, this is a good place to start. Sure, it's a little "softer" than previous releases, but that shouldn't matter. This is a damn good album.
This CD has some of the most original music I've heard since the likes of Mindless Self Indulgence. That's sort of a bad example since the two don't sound anything alike, but how each track on here uses distorted vocals, keyboards, some tribal drums, and even a few acoustic guitar pieces (which is rare for modern industrial bands to use) really makes this stand out from most new stuff.
There's not much to say about Wreath of Barbs to make you understand how amazing it is. It starts out furious and strong with "Opening the Gates of Hell" and slows down right after that, and that's not a bad thing. The lyrics remind me of some things off KMFDM's "Nihil", but that's just me.
Stand out tracks- Deliverance, Wreath of Barbs, Christ[4-letter word for 'sex'], Line of Corpses. All of them are good mind you...except for "Dr. Thodt". That song is horrible, and it makes me want to kill myself. And not in a good way either. It just flat out sucks. Just skip that track before it plays, and you'll be set.

Green Legend Ran
Green Legend Ran
DVD ~ Takeshi Aono
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 206.69
11 used & new from CDN$ 16.98

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty cool, Sept. 2 2003
This review is from: Green Legend Ran (DVD)
Like most who reviewed this, I saw it on the Sci-Fi channel years ago. And just recently, someone mentioned the name of it on a message board regarding anime on Sci-Fi years ago. So I bought it to see what it was all about.
This OVA is above average. The characters are all cool, and the music fits in with the scenes well. For an anime that's only 3 episodes/parts long, they got in some pretty good character development. Something that's missing in most mainstream anime (ie- Dragon Ball Z). Green Legend Ran's story is good for the most part. But in the last 10-15 minutes, I just got lost. So much was happening, that I needed to watch it 3 more times just to figure out what I missed when I blinked. Some people say this series lags in some parts, I didn't think so. There was something going on in all scenes.
Someone said that they thought this is "family friendly" or something. Not at all. There's breif nudity in the middle/later parts, cussing from the main character- Ran, and quite a few graphic deaths of innocent people and soldiers. This is a futuristic movie, so all weapons do rediculous damage to people when used.
You'll really be able to feel for Ran as he goes over events that happened when he was a child, and even if he is sort of bratty, he's a very good protagonist. You should check this DVD out if you're looking for a short series, or just something new. Just remember- there's no menu on this. All extras are at the end...and they're pretty crumm. The "interview" with the producer/director is a whole 2 short questions. And the music video...you see it right before the actual music video is shown since it's the end song. Either way, you should check this out when you have a chance.

Cool Gardens
Cool Gardens
by Serj Tankian
Price: CDN$ 11.68
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to sound cliche, but this is deep, Aug. 31 2003
This review is from: Cool Gardens (Paperback)
I bought this book the day it came out, and I read it once a week. This book makes you think and wonder about life. It slaps some sense of reality into you. When you complain about your own little problems, you don't take time to realize that there's worse going on outside your own little space.
Many of the poems in here really should have been songs on Toxicity (since a lot were written before it came out, or so I heard). But these are all poems, not songs. Sort of like the songs on System's first CD, how they have poetic feeling to them rather than just songs. The artwork is also very good. I hope to see more from these two in the future.
You really need to get this if you respect System, yourself, or life.

I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings
I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings
Price: CDN$ 13.87
52 used & new from CDN$ 2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Just to help the rating, Aug. 31 2003
This album is great. My only dislikes about it are that it doesn't come with a booklet (it's just folding box case) and that it's much too short. I wish there would've been at least 5 more tracks on this. But I shouldn't be complaining, Radiohead never comes to Oregon, so this is the closest I can get to hearing live tracks from them. Also, this has "True Love Waits" which is a pretty rare track to come by for some people. All tracks on here though are from Kid A + Amnesiac. This album is very clear as far as live audio recordings go.
I'm hearing rumors of this going out of print soon. Either way, make sure to pick it up if you like Kid A + Amnesiac.

Kid A
Kid A
Price: CDN$ 13.41
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars As with all my reviews..., Aug. 31 2003
This review is from: Kid A (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for years now, but I'm just doing a quick review to add my 5 stars to the average review.
I started with Kid A, though I heard OK Computer when it first came out. I guess the only reason I got it was for the secret booklet that came with it (open the CD case front and back and you'll get it). At first, I was a little disappointed. But then again, I didn't know that much about Radiohead at the time, so that disappointment shouldn't phase you. The second time listening though, I was amazed and wondered how I was so stupid before. The lyrics in the first track aren't anything special, but this album's mostly about music for me. It's not "experimental" like people think for some reason, Radiohead was just doing something new with their music. The same Radiohead lyrics are still here, but with electronic music.
I'm not one to call Radiohead "genius" like a lot of people do. I just think they're one of the best bands I've come accross. I'm not going to tell you "if you don't like what they put out, you're an idiot", because anyone who says that is an idiot themself. If you like Radiohead, you'll probably like this, but if you aren't one for big changes. But really, stop being so stuck up and give change a chance. Radiohead changed a lot from Pablo Honey to OK Computer and nobody minded that. If a band is to keep doing the same sounding music for years, then they'll be "repetitive". But if they change at all they've "sold out" or "began the downfall". 'just like Red Hot Chili Peppers: if they still did their old kind of funk, they'd be opening up for Quiet Riot at county fairs.
Give this album a chance. You just might like it. Heck, go hear samples of Everything In Its Right Place, Idioteque, Morning Bell, and Optimistic. Those would probably be the stand outs of this album. Have fun.

Hail to the Thief
Hail to the Thief
Price: CDN$ 14.51
53 used & new from CDN$ 4.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Again..., July 5 2003
This review is from: Hail to the Thief (Audio CD)
There isn't anything I can say about this that hasn't been said before. I'm just reviewinig it to boost its rating a little. This sounds like OK Computer combined with Amnesiac. I think this is their most depressing album yet, but that's not a bad thing. If you have any taste at all, you'll get this.

Serart (W/Dvd)
Serart (W/Dvd)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, beautiful, a great journey of music, May 21 2003
This review is from: Serart (W/Dvd) (Audio CD)
Serart is everything I've wanted in music. It incorporates African drum rythms and Arabic ones as well. It has touching vocals (very little english here but it doesn't matter for those of you who are actually open when it comes to music), and so much more. Everything about this album is flawless save the fact that it ends. This is NOT for System of a Down fans, as it's in a whole other league of music. There are no driving guitar/bass riffs, rapid beats on the snare drum, screaming vocals (I'm a huge SOAD fan- since they were "SOIL" but I'm just saying...), it's all mostly traditional music with a few "new" elements. Plus the DVD that comes with the CD provides images to some tracks (14 minutes total of video). And what powerful images they are. Sadly, most new System fans (those who started listening to them when Toxicity came out) will pick this up and expect another rock album. This will lead to a failure when it comes to sales, so please, have an open mind and buy this CD with no expectations. If you have no respect for the Arabic/Middle Eastern culture, stay away from this. I hope that more albums like this are to come from Serjical Strike Records.

Thumb Wars
Thumb Wars
DVD ~ Steve Oedekerk
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 47.62
8 used & new from CDN$ 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars "Touch your tongue to mine.", Feb. 12 2003
This review is from: Thumb Wars (DVD)
This is a hilarious movie. Sure it's only a half hour long, but you can watch it over and over and still get a kick out of it. I don't remember the names of the characters, but they all have their moments. Weather it's the Princess Leia thub that goes "I escaped somehow, let's go." when the group comes to rescue her, or the pinata that zaps the Luke-thumb only in the eyes and crotch (Force Training thing)- it's all good. There's not much more to say about "Thumb Wars"...don't expect it to be a parody of "the Phantom Menace": it's mainly a parody of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. There's so much cool stuff in the movie- the Obi Wan and Luke thumbs looking up the hologram of Leia's skirt, the "moon" by the Han one, and that Pinata gets me everytime. If you have a different sense of humor from most people, you should like this DVD. The extra features aren't as much as I expected, but they're still good. The commentary was ok, but who needs commentary on a movie like this? Just go buy it- it's cheap, and if you don't like it, I'll sell it for you and keep the money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars It changed my life, Feb. 12 2003
Words, numbers, and stars can not do this movie justice. It's flawless. I used to think that "The Shawshank Redemption" was the greatest movie of all time. That changed upon my purchase of Amélie. Just what is this movie about? It follows the life of the title character- Amélie, as she helps the lives of other people after finding a box of memories left by some boy who lived in her apartment many years ago. She does everything she can to find the person, and eventually does: causing her to be the do-gooder of the town. From Amélie's comedic, yet tragic childhood until she matures, this film is too precious to not like. There's something for everyone here, but it's considered a "romantic comedy". But please don't think of it like another "10 things I hate about you" or something- Amélie is like no other movie.
All of the characters are real people to me. Every single one of them has their own unique personality- something rare in films from 1994 to now. (Can Audrey Tautou get any cuter?) I'd go so far as to call Amélie the perfect girl. She never does anything wrong, save a little prank on someone that really had it coming to them, but you'll love it. The settings are beautiful. Camera angles are even better. Amélie blew me away. I went in not knowing what to expect, and came out a changed person.
The DVDs themselves set a new standard for what is a quailty dvd release. The sound and visuals are crystal clear. There are no previews you have to skip to get to the movie itself or the menu. Most of the special features are on the second disc. Things like auditions for the main actors/actresses, test scenes, question and answer bits that are pretty funny, pictures, and of course: the pictures of the gnome in different locations. They're all real nice, but you probably won't watch them on a regular basis.
I apologize for how bad this review is. I really can't say too much without ruining the movie. Just look at the other reviews that all say the same thing and you should get the hint. Anyone who doesn't find this movie the least bit charming has no heart. Just do yourself a favor and buy this movie. It will change the way you look at things, and life.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12