Profile for Fe > Reviews

Content by Fe

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Fe (Vancouver, Canada)

The Beginning Runner's Handbook, 3rd revised: The Proven 13-Week Walk/Run Program
by SportMedBC
Price: CDN$ 14.56
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for beginners (or even non-beginners), Dec 2 2011
The book contains a 13-weeks run/walk program that will prepare you to run a 10k or to run for 1hr uninterruptedly while minimizing injury risks. It also contains a 13-weeks walk program for those who cannot or doesn't want to run. For those "graduating" the 13-weeks program, the book offers options, such as run faster program or even considering a half-marathon or full marathon (although, if you'd like to pursue the half or full marathon options, I'd recommend another SportsMedBC book - Marathon and Half Marathon). Apart from the program, the book also discuss several other topics - which I believe makes the book fantastic. It covers the psychology of running, causes of common injuries, run form and techniques, importance of cross training and stretching, including discussing the best cross training options for runners, some nutrition basics for runners and finally, running for pregnant women and with the family and pets.
I used to run but I stopped for a while, so I found this book at my local library when I was considering start running again. I borrowed and renewed it several times, and I found it so helpful and resourceful that I decided to buy it.

Element: Yoga for Stress Relief & Flexibility
Element: Yoga for Stress Relief & Flexibility
Price: CDN$ 11.99
24 used & new from CDN$ 9.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great yoga DVD, Dec 2 2011
I love Element Yoga DVDs and this quickly became one of my favorites (if not the one).
As the others Element DVDs, it was filmed in a nice garden overseeing the Pacific Ocean (which I find very pleasing and relaxing). Ashley's voice is soothing and her instructions are very clear and precise - it allows me to close my eyes and tune in my breath in several poses, especially during the "Stress Relief" sequence.
The DVD has 2 sequences: Stress Relief (~35 min) and Flexibility (~30 min). You can play each of them separately or the complete program. The "Flexibility" sequence consists in vinyasa techniques with hip openers, hamstring stretches, shoulder openers to increase not only flexibility in the muscles, but also in the connective tissues. The "Stress Relief" sequence focuses in breathing techniques, forward bends, and longer holds. I find this sequence lives up to its name - after practice, I'm calmer, more relaxed, and refreshed and I prefer to do it before I go to bed.
Overall, it is a great addition to my Yoga practice at home and a great balance to my p90x/asylum workouts.

Women's Health: Train for Your
Women's Health: Train for Your
DVD ~ Women's Health
Offered by roundmedia
Price: CDN$ 17.81
8 used & new from CDN$ 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout DVD! Results you can really see, Sept. 10 2010
The women body types are divided into 3: curvy, lean and straight, and athletic. For each type of body, there's a suggested pre-built workout for each day of the week. You can also create a customized workout using any of the segments available.
All pre-built workouts have a warm-up and cooldown. The cardio segment lasts about 22 min and it is challenging and really makes me break a sweat. For someone beginner, I recommend to pause the DVD, take a breath and/or some water before continuing. The strength segments last about 10-12 mins each and can be somehow challenging. There are also 3 "Amp It Up" segments (one of Kick-boxing moves, another of power yoga flow, and a super slow strength sequence) that lasts 5-7 mins each and are quite interesting.
Jessica Smith is cheerful and keeps motivating the entire workout, without whooping. Her instructions are clear and accurate, and she has 2 assistants: one on the right side of the screen with the low-impact and beginner level moves, and another one on the left side of the screen with a advanced moves in case you feel like it.
I've been using this DVD for about 3-4 weeks and I noticed that my legs and butt are getting more toned, the cellulite has improved a lot. My husband and my friends can already notice that I'm leaner and more toned, and I'm receiving tons of compliments. It's by far my favorite workout DVD.

Women's Health: Ultimate Fat B
Women's Health: Ultimate Fat B
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 30.97
9 used & new from CDN$ 3.56

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for regular rotation, Sept. 10 2010
This is one of the DVDs I use in regular rotation and I must say it is not my favorite one, but it is OK.
Amy Dixon tries to motivate you the entire workout without being bully. I really don't understand why they have so many trainers - it just make the overall visual slightly polluted. Apart from Amy and Beth (which does the modifications), they could have only 1 more girl, not that many. But it is bearable.
There's a warm-up, a 7-minute strength section (Amy recommends 3lb weights, but I'm using a pair of 5lbs, otherwise I don't feel I'm lifting any weight), a cardio section, followed by another strength and cardio section, and the cool-down. For me, the cardio section is kind of easy and it didn't raised my heart rate that much - I'm active and young, but definitely not athletic. Plus, even though the DVD advertises to burn about 500 calories, my heart rate monitor has calculated that I only burn about 280-300 calories.
For a more challenging cardio section, I'd recommend the Women's Health Train For your Body Type DVD. I can really break a sweat with it and I noticed that it makes me burn more calories in less time.
But for a beginner, as a rotation DVD, or when you cannot go outside and run, this Ultimate Fat Burn DVD is a good option.

Yoga Journal: Shiva Rea - Free Flow Best Live Vinyasa Workout [Import]
Yoga Journal: Shiva Rea - Free Flow Best Live Vinyasa Workout [Import]
DVD ~ Shiva Rea
Price: CDN$ 14.44
18 used & new from CDN$ 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for home practice, Aug. 26 2010
This DVD was recorded in a live conference and Shiva Rea shows a very free, open flow practice. Since it is a live conference, the flow and the instructions were neither rehearsed before nor they're meant for someone who is doing it at home. Quite a few times, if you follow the instructions, you end up with your back against the TV. During all the sequence, Shiva Rea walks among the workshop participants, making adjustments, so sometimes, the instructions are incomplete and if you're not looking at your TV to follow her assistant, you keep in a pose when you're supposed to have moved on.
I have other Shiva Rea DVDs and, if you mean to use them for you home practice, I truly recommend to buy any other of her DVDs, instead of wasting your money with this one.