Profile for Bhaskar Majumdar > Reviews

Content by Bhaskar Majumdar

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bhaskar Majumdar (Kuwait)

Old Ideas
Old Ideas
Price: CDN$ 5.00
47 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenny Cohen lives on, April 13 2012
This review is from: Old Ideas (Audio CD)
I bought this album recently and am completely hooked. I've been listening to it over and over again. I pretty much grew up with his music over the years and have seen his voice change, but the quality of poetry never does. I guess that is one aspect that has ruled supreme since his emergence from McGill university years ago. This is not just good songwriting, but complex poetry and emotions put forward simply through haunting melodies. Thank God for the liner notes with this CD as the words resonate crystal clear. It is whispered in your ear with melody and sometimes ...just a word whisper, slowly softly. Lenny Cohen is always reflective and self critical, even when he is commenting on society in general, and this one comes out right on top. Love it. I hope here is a message in this for record companies that have pushed an excessive amount of (c)rap with bad poetry, hip hop with uncontrolled angst and low level pop for mass consumption. After many years and decades of suffering (and perhaps led by You Tube revival), good melody, good poetry and just mature creation by the Masters is back. Thank God for 'old ideas'.

The Last DJ
The Last DJ
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 10.68
24 used & new from CDN$ 10.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Petty is Evolving, April 7 2004
This review is from: The Last DJ (Audio CD)
I have been a Tom Petty fan for a long time, even since I heard Wild Flowers. This first few songs in this album is a major departure for Petty. Here, he is a social commentator. I wouldn't consider him 'over the hill' as some people have us believe. He is evolving and maturing. If you have been listening to the contemporary music that is being churned out by the music mega labels, you will find strong empathy with the words of his songs. This is wonderfully in line with the best traditions of the protest songs of the 60s and 70s. All the songs are well constructed, well written and well sung. The music is great. The message seems to be that the industry is out of sync with consumer tastes. And its the last DJ that dares to play his own song and not bow down to the power of money. Dare say, I liked the entire album. It may be a bit too 'smooth' but the words add the dissonance. This is a good addition to my Petty collection.

National Geographic Photographers Field Guide
National Geographic Photographers Field Guide
by Peter Burian
68 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The field guide, Oct. 3 2001
It is providing me hours and hours of pleasure and a body knowledge from experts that I would never have got by joining a photography course. In my minds eye , I am 'on' the field. I am experimenting away but based on some pretty good advice that I know works.

Missing...Presumed Having..
Missing...Presumed Having..
Price: CDN$ 9.30
28 used & new from CDN$ 3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Notting Hillbilies should regroup, Oct. 3 2001
I have been listening to this for the past decade. This is folk and folk rock at its best. The accompanying music and harmonising blend superbly. My favourite is 'Will you miss me', but I like 'all' the numbers in this album , which is rare. I think Knoffler is getting back to his roots these days ( circa 2001)and it is interesting to compare this album with the latest on offer , and of course with the music of Guru JJ Cale. The Notting Hillbillies should get together again for another creative burst. The time is right.

Biography
Biography
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 33.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 16.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Times they are not a-changin', Aug. 13 2001
This review is from: Biography (Audio CD)
This set does not only give you a nostalgic backflip, but it traces and reflects a history of the social movement in the United states which affected and positively influenced all of us in the rest of the world.This is ground breaking stuff. It also reinforces folk music as the base for all the other genres of music which was to come later on. You hear folk music transforming itself to another level , distinctively original and casting its spell on other musical styles which we take for granted these days. This is perhaps the best Dylan retro I have heard; a biograph of Dylan the poet ,the social commentator , the lyricist and the whole is far greater than the individual items , all great in their individual right.