Profile for M. B. Van Haren > Reviews

Content by M. B. Van Haren

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

M. B. Van Haren "kingofsnake" (Netherlands)

The Reality Dysfunction Part 1: Emergence
The Reality Dysfunction Part 1: Emergence
by Peter F. Hamilton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
60 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars very good indeed..., Feb. 9 2002
Ok so I really bought The Reality Dysfunction completely based on the pressqoutes I read on the cover. Not usually a foolproof way to buy a book I admit, but I must say I'm glad I did this time and I also think they were all true!
I haven't read much scifi books yet, although I've read the Foundation series and some other Asimov robot novels, and Dune of course, but I'm not going to compare those books to this series, because it's just a very different sort of story. This is pure scifi pulp, with lots of violence, lots of sex and lots of starships and big robotic space marines blasting eachother to oblivion. I can see how some people won't like it, even hate it, but I couldn't put it down, because it may be pulp, but the story, although starting slowly really had me hooked halfway through the first book. The slow unveiling of a mysterious horror on a backwards jungle colony planet was really well done and soon the plot widens in scope to encompass a whole galaxy, filled with so many cool ideas in technology, characters, philosophy, plots and subplots that it's an amazing feat Hamilton manages to keept it all rolling along at a nice pace without losing the main plot. The minutely detailed descriptions of locations, people, cultures, technology, battles etc really paints an image that is so alive that it plays like a movie in your head. Some people complain that the main characters do not resolve the conflict themselves but instead there are higher powers at work, well I think this whole story is about higher powers and their effects on certain people and humanity as a whole, (as opposed to, say, Foundation where it's the other way around, the effects of very few people on the whole galaxy) so you cannot really hold that against it. Yes, there are parts that drag along a bit but the great action sequences more than make up for the dull bits.
Well, that's all I'm going to say. I still haven't finished it but I've really enjoyed it immensely so far.

Pearls Girl (8 Tracks)
Pearls Girl (8 Tracks)
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 31.02
13 used & new from CDN$ 1.77

5.0 out of 5 stars don't miss this, May 20 2001
This review is from: Pearls Girl (8 Tracks) (Audio CD)
It may be an EP, but what you get for your money is actually a whole album's worth of UW material. And not just any material, this EP contains some of the best techno to come from the british trio (now reduced to duo). It starts out with a mix of Pearls girl, called Tin There, but as is often the case with UW mixes of thier own work, it sounds nothing at all like the original track. It's a very fast paced, breakbeat laden techno frenzy that just builds and builds in the distortion, into an incredible climax. One of the most energetic techno tracks I've ever heard. The 14996 mix is a more subdued version with little vocal samples of the original thrown in, not the best track of this ep. Puppies is a whole other world again, deep reverbed synths and a really cool vocoder effect on Karl's voice make this a very dreamy and emotional track. Oich Oich is absolutely one of my favourite tracks of all time. Very ambient and very carefully built and layered with synths, voice samples, lyrics and a laid back housebeat mix into a dreamlike world of sound and emotion. Cherrie Pie starts with the intro from Rowla (from Second Toughest...) but quickly transforms into another wonderful techno epic with a very dark and hypnotising sound. Then there's the actual Pearl's Girl (and a shorter edit version) which still remains one of UW's best and most popular tracks, hard breakbeats, great lyrics, great atmosphere. The last two tracks, Mosiac and Deep arch are wonderfully ambient instrumental tracks, with again the careful buildup that is so reminiscent of UW's style. All in all, this ep has both incredible power, and incredible atmosphere and makes me think wether some people who call UW "watered down music" have actually listened to any of it.