Profile for TeeKay > Reviews

Content by TeeKay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

TeeKay

Page: 1 | 2
Asus External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G (Black)
Asus External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G (Black)
Price: CDN$ 128.63
24 used & new from CDN$ 107.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, Nov. 2 2013
After wearing out my internal Blu-ray drive on my laptop, I purchased this drive. I've only used it for playback, and I've yet to try to burn a disc, but it works like a dream. I've been using it frequently for almost a year now.

My laptop is a little old, so I'm connecting this USB 3.0 compatible drive into a 2.0 port, but it hasn't affected video playback at all.

There is a negative review on this product, so any buyers wanting to playback Blu-ray movies, please understand that up-to-date Blu-ray playback software is something you'll definitely have to purchase separately. As with most technology, the bundled software is typically bottom-of-the barrel stuff that will barely get you going. PowerDVD 10 is quite outdated, so it's no surprise it doesn't work with Windows 8. Not something I'd fault Asus for.

Bond 50: Celebrating Five Decades of James Bond [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Bond 50: Celebrating Five Decades of James Bond [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Sean Connery
Offered by BEARDOS BAZAAR
Price: CDN$ 199.99
12 used & new from CDN$ 143.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Films; Could-have-been-better Packaging, Oct. 11 2012
The DVD releases of these films (the 4 volumes) with the individual thin cases, even with the stupid mixed-up ordering of which movies were in which sets, were far better.

What you get here are two beautiful hardcover books with cardboard pages. Each page (verso/left) contains a collage of imagery from the two films/discs on the opposite (recto/right) page. It's odd having a hodge-podge of two films... it definitely would have been nicer if each film got it's own artwork. Also, like another customer mentioned, we don't get any fact-sheets... or any text besides the film's name printed on the discs. I really miss my brother's DVD sets.

Also, I'm disappointed that they didn't bother to re-author the Blu-rays. All of the movies that were previously released on Blu have identical discs. The major problem here is that the video compression was, and still is sub-par. If you have a great TV, you'll definitely be able to see the compression artifacts on the majority of these films.

Quantum of Solace sticks out because they didn't bother to re-author the discs to give us a unified experience. Overlookable, but worth mentioning.

Quite sadly, all those movies that were previously unreleased on Blu-ray didn't get the full upgrade to HD in terms of special features. All of the classic films have amazing making-of documentaries. The ones already released had upgraded HD documentaries. The documentaries featured on the discs previously unreleased are all in SD at 4:3, so all the footage they show from films are letterboxed & pillarboxed on widescreen TVs. It's a shame.

They left a slot with a fake cardboard disc for Skyfall, which is interesting, and I doubt I'll personally use it.

If you haven't bought any of the films yet, or you've bought them and you're considering replacing them with this, I'd honestly consider just recommend waiting for the previously unreleased films to be released individually. If you like Casino Royale, buy/keep your 2-disc special edition!

So, overall good, but would have been perfect with better packaging highlighting each individual film (and possibly trivia), with re-encoded videos of higher quality.

The Office: The Complete Eighth Season [Blu-ray]
The Office: The Complete Eighth Season [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 34.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad disc and packaging choices, Oct. 11 2012
This is the first time I've came across flipper discs that have DVD content on one side, and Blu-ray on the other... and I'm unsatisfied. One of my discs was defective (on the Blu-ray side). Not only that, but the packaging is terrible and trying to remove the discs from the package without cracking them makes you feel like Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible. I understand them trying to satisfy the combo BD/DVD market, but this is NOT the way to do it.

Be warned!

Family Guy: Volume 10
Family Guy: Volume 10
DVD ~ Seth McFarlane
Price: CDN$ 16.98
7 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars HD downscaled to DVD?, Oct. 11 2012
This review is from: Family Guy: Volume 10 (DVD)
I get it, we all have DVD players and not all of us have Blu-ray players. But not releasing this volume on Blu-ray is just pure stupidity from FOX or whomever was in charge of this.

If you can't see the difference between a downscaled low-resolution DVD and Blu-ray, or you don't have a Blu-ray player, then this volume will be just fine for you.

They need to release a Volume Ten (with the few HD episodes from Volume Nine included). Blu-ray has been around for years. Time to embrace it, FOX.

LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual)
LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace [Blu-ray + DVD] (Bilingual)
Price: CDN$ 9.98
11 used & new from CDN$ 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars LEGO Minifigure Included!, Feb. 7 2012
A very cute movie that, even being 22, I still thoroughly enjoyed. I'm a long time LEGO® fan as well as Star Wars fan, and this lived up to every expectation for a short, animated LEGO flick.

The only reason I'm here on Amazon.ca leaving this review is to tell you that the real Young Han Minifigure was indeed included, and was not only part of the US Walmart exclusive, since Amazon has yet to upload any sort of packaging imagery.

The Man With the Golden Gun [Blu-ray]
The Man With the Golden Gun [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 21.60
15 used & new from CDN$ 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Bond, Jan. 10 2012
Not sure why anyone would hate this movie. It has Christopher Lee (Dracula, Count Dooku), an amazing corkscrew car stunt (shot practically in one take!), a reprise of the Sheriff J.W character, one of the most beautiful isolated locations ever seen in a bond film, and lots of great action scenes. The production design is amazing... Scaramanga's home is a beautiful work of art. There are far cheesier Bond films (Moonraker).

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Box Set - [9-Disc Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Mark Hamill
Price: CDN$ 79.99
18 used & new from CDN$ 73.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Packaging, Sept. 23 2011
There are enough reviews about the quality of the video, but I'm here to let you know about the packaging. It's a little interesting. First off, the 6 movies and French title are on the cellophane plastic covering the box, so once you unrwap there is no sign of French, which is nice and clean looking. I find a lot of Blu-ray cases look sort of muddy with both English and French titles.

Anyway, once unwrapped, there is a box slip that covers the actual cardboard Blu-ray case. The case that holds all of the disks is basically like a sturdy book... the left side has a painting representing something relevant from the adjacent disk, and the right side is... you guessed it... the disk. So there are 9 pages to this cardboard book package. When I first saw the photos, I was worried... I've had problems with scratching in the past with packaging that isn't plastic'but this actually seems to be pretty solid. Behind the disks, there is a glossy coating so that the disks don't get scratched if they spin around, or when you slip them in and out of the case.

So that's my overview of the packaging. I'd recommend taking a look at the pictures on [...] if you want a better idea of what everything looks like.

The Mask [Blu-ray]
The Mask [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jim Carrey
Price: CDN$ 9.98
22 used & new from CDN$ 9.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Good HD Transfer, May 22 2011
This review is from: The Mask [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Not the crispest Blu-Ray that I own, but it's certainly the best-looking copy of the Mask I've ever seen. It's just a little blurry at times... maybe it's a problem with the initial camerawork though.

One thing I find really strange... only English and German. No French, and no Spanish... not subtitles nor audio. Seems odd to have German and not French or Spanish on a Region 1 release meant only for Canada and USA.

And yes, there are special features on the disk: Additional scenes, 2 commentaries, and a few featurettes. I really wish Amazon.ca would advertise the special features for movies.

The Terminator [Blu-ray]
The Terminator [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 20.70
2 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that bad of a transfer, May 4 2011
This review is from: The Terminator [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This certainly isn't an amazing transfer by any means, but it's not terrible. All special effects shots have an intense level of grime... the studio should have put a little money into cleaning up the footage. Besides this, it's a great release

Men in Black [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Men in Black [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Linda Fiorentino
Price: CDN$ 17.75
7 used & new from CDN$ 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 26 2011
The 1080p HD transfer is pretty good with a bit of jitter, most noticeable during the opening credits where the text wiggles around a bit. Besides this, it's a fine transfer for a slightly older film.

It contains all the DVD special features, some of which have been reworked to use Blu-ray technology, as well as new special features that are just for the Blu release... most of which are just games that I don't really care for.

But alas, I bought the movie for the movie, and it's a great movie presented very well.

Page: 1 | 2