Profile for Midnight_PhoenixFlames > Reviews

Content by Midnight_Phoen...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Midnight_PhoenixFlames (Australia)

Beauty and the Beast (Disney Special Platinum Edition)
Beauty and the Beast (Disney Special Platinum Edition)
DVD ~ Paige O'Hara
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 82.96
11 used & new from CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful and outstanding movie ever done by Disney, Jan. 22 2003
I would've been about 5 when I first saw this movie and was unable to make up my mind about it until, nearly 10 years later, I was given the chance to see it again, so I took that chance.
What I saw was a beautiful, artistic and flawless animated film with well-written and surprisingly complex and different characters (which is something I normally don't see in Disney).
THE MAIN CHARACTERS:
BELLE:
Belle has definately become my favourite female Disney character as she differs so much from the typical Disney heroine. She is intelligent, slightly eccentric, and instead of sitting around, dreaming about her dream guy, she chooses to look at what is below the surface and to bring happiness into the lives of others with no selfish motives.
THE BEAST:
Definately the most complex character of them all, the Beast's persona is many differing shades of grey, and his conflicted feelings and emotions are portryed perfectly through his body language and beautifully expressive eyes that you could just fall into. And through Belle's gentle but unwavering kindness, he learns not only to love again, but also that your heart and personality will always outshine your physical appearance.
GASTON:
The most handsome and arrogant man in Belle's village, Gaston soon proves that he is also a complex character. While he starts off as a rather stupid-yet-amusing muscle-head who cannot take 'no' for an answer, his character soon begins to reveal that while he is stupid, he makes up for it by being cunning,
manipulative and posessive. Soon, he becomes the 'ultimate evil' in the story when he realizes that Belle has fallen in love with the Beast and will never want to be with him...Basically, it becomes a case of Gaston being read to destroy anything and anybody that gets in the way of what he wants...
The other characters, such as Mrs. Potts, Lumiere, Cogworth and Belle's eccentric-but-caring Father, Maurice, are also surprisingly well-developed, considering they are not main characters. Not only do they add spots of comic relief to prevent the movie from being too dark, they are all also VITAL to the story as they help lead it along. Without them, the story would be much emptier and alot shorter.
And finally, we come to the music. I normally hate when the characters break into song in the middle of a movie, but the songs all fit into the movie perfectly without giving it a "dragged-out" feel. They, like the minor characters, keep the movie going and help inject even more feeling into what is already a masterpiece.
Overall, this was, and will always be THE best Disney film ever created, and, just like the tagline, the most beautiful love story ever told. I would recommend this to absolutely ANYBODY!!!

Don Quixote
Don Quixote
Price: CDN$ 9.01
20 used & new from CDN$ 5.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, highly original piece of work, Jan. 22 2003
This review is from: Don Quixote (Audio CD)
Being a teenage girl, I guess people wouldn't be expecting me to like this album, let alone have even heard of Gordon Lightfoot.
I first heard this album when I was 13 (I'm 16 now). I was staying at my Dad's house and my uncle put it on, saying that it was a really nice album, and the minute I heard the first song, I had no choice but to instantly agree with him.
Gordon's voice has a warm, rich feel to it, and, combined with his beautiful but simple poetic lyrics, the combination just takes my breath away every time I listen to this album.
1. DON QUIXOTE: More of a story than a song about the legendary Don Quixote and the conflicted people in life. Surprisingly catchy for a folk-song and the guitar is magical. 8.5/10
2. CHRISTIAN ISLAND: A much slower song about spending a summer on an old, faithful boat in the Christian Islands. Very soothing melody. 8/10
3. ALBERTA BOUND: Not one of my favourites as is kind of disrupts the relaxed feel of the album and the guitar doesn't sound as good as the other songs, but still not a bad song. 6.5/10
4. LOOKING AT THE RAIN: One of my all-time favourites. It's more of a poem about the thoughts that go through your head while staring at the rain out of the window. Just a beautiful song. 9/10
5. ORDINARY MAN: A rather strange but still quite nice ballad about a man who claims he's not your typical man and always feels the presence of the lady he loves stalking him. Has a rather haunting underlayer. The guitar riffs complete the song, making it near perfect. 8/10
6. BRAVE MOUNTAINEERS: This would definately have to be my favourite song as the lyrics make me remember my life when I was younger and have an sweet, innocent manner. 10/10
7. ODE TO BIG BLUE: An ode to an ancient whale that the fishermen could never catch. Is actually darker than I make it sound and the guitar riffs have an almost haunting quality. 8.5/10
8. SECOND CUP OF COFFEE: I just LOVE this song to death. Basically, it's about all the problems we think about first thing in the morning, wondering how we can face the day, remembering how we dealt with things and people in the past, and also thinking about all the good and the bad things that life gives us and is still offering us. 10/10
9. BEAUTIFUL: Just a simple ballad for a longed-for one and about how they've been friends for such a long time and how beautiful that person is. 7.5/10
10. ON SUSAN'S FLOOR: A rather sad song, actually, about a woman (Susan) who would take in the homeless at night and allow them to sleep by her fireplace.
Seems to be written from the POV of an alcoholic homeless who stayed there every night, remembers the happiness Susan and her fireplace bought him and many others. He left because he began to fall in love with Susan and often wonders what would've happened if he'd stayed one more night to share his music with Susan and the other derelicts. 10/10
11. THE PATRIOT'S DREAM: This song takes on a different quality to most of the other ones in this album. In fact, not only is it extremely sad, it's also quite dark. It's a song about the Civil War in America and how all the Patriotic Men lost their lives fighting for "The Patriot's Dream" and how it affected those who loved them such as their wives/fiancees, children and parents. 9/10
It's surprising that so few seem to have heard of Gordon except through his song "If you could read my mind" (A sweet, sad song that was later updated into disco-feel song for the movie "54").
It's actually a big disappointment since Gordon has proved in this album that not only does he have a wonderful voice, he also has the rare talent to write beautiful, memorable lyrics that stay in your head long after hearing his songs. If you haven't heard any of his songs yet, I highly recommend you look for this album (Unfortunately, it's hard to find) or his 'Greatest hit's' album "GORD'S GOLD."