Profile for Lisa Douglas > Reviews

Content by Lisa Douglas

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lisa Douglas (Toronto, ON)

GTMax Transparent Clear Snap on Crystal Cover Case for Apple iPod Nano 16GB 8GB 5th 5G Generation NEWEST MODEL
Offered by Urban Inspirations
Price: CDN$ 22.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but doesn't protect the screen, Jan. 24 2010
This cover is cheap and works well for what it is.

I really bought the case to protect the screen of my Nano, but unfortunately (it's difficult to tell from the picture) the case has holes for both the click-wheel and the screen, leaving the screen vulnerable to scratches and impacts.

Her Fearful Symmetry
Her Fearful Symmetry
by Audrey Niffenegger
23 used & new from CDN$ 3.40

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Read, Oct. 8 2009
This review is from: Her Fearful Symmetry (Hardcover)
I found the Her Fearful Symmetry very engrossing and couldn't put it down. Niffenegger's handling of ghosts and life after death was very intriguing, it definitely pulled me into the novel and captured my imagination.

That being said, it's not quite as good as The Time Traveler's Wife (I imagine it would be very difficult to follow up such a successful debut). My main quibble with the novel would be some odd character choices in the last quarter which seemed a little heavy-handed.

All in all, I think the book is definitely worth a read.

An Echo in the Bone
An Echo in the Bone
by Diana Gabaldon
27 used & new from CDN$ 5.66

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow start, but it builds as it goes., Sept. 28 2009
This review is from: An Echo in the Bone (Hardcover)
Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Diana Gabaldon fan, but this book was harder than usual for me to get into. It felt slow and disjointed in the beginning as you jump from narrator to narrator and place to place, and every time we left Jamie and Claire's story to follow the more minor characters I just wanted to get back to them.

The caltrop on the cover of An Echo in the Bone gives you an idea of how the narrative in the second to last book in the Outlander series runs. You begin following many separate threads: Claire and Jamie (and Ian), Roger and Brianna, Lord John Grey, and his adopted son William. The early portions of the book seem disconnected as you jump from narrator to narrator, scattered across space and time, but as the book progresses the threads begin to overlap and momentum builds towards the climax.

Overall this was a solid (but not outstanding) connector book that will leave you aching for the final installment of the series.

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously
Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously
by Julie Powell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.02
120 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not a screenplay!, Sept. 13 2009
For those of you that read Julie Powell's blog, you'll find this a more polished and cohesive telling of her experience cooking her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, warts, obscenities, and all. It fills in some of the details of her personal life, what happened once the project was finished, and recounts the hiccups and breakdowns she experienced honestly, without trying to make herself look better or be more likeable.

Those that saw the movie should note that the movie was based on TWO books, Julie & Julia (by Julie Powell) and Child's autobiography, My Life in France (written with her husband's grandnephew Alex Prud'homme). If you're looking for more information about Julia Child's life beyond some witty qutoes and basic background you should pick up the autobiography, as Julie & Julia is firmly about Julie Powell and the Julie/Julia project.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins
Price: CDN$ 14.43
166 used & new from CDN$ 0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, May 6 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I devoured this book in a single sitting, I literally could not put it down. I found it well-written and engaging, and simply could not wait to find out what would happen next.