ARRAY(0xb8b18138)

Profile for Kathy Davies > Reviews

Content by Kathy Davies

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kathy Davies "kdavies" (Barnesville, GA United States)

Carried Along
Carried Along
Price: CDN$ 15.23
6 used & new from CDN$ 10.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Already a must-have artist!, April 17 2003
This review is from: Carried Along (Audio CD)
If you are Christian, and you like folk/rock/pop music, you must own everything Andrew Peterson releases. I'm not kidding. He's being compared to Rich Mullins but I find his variety of music wider than Rich's. This is the first album I picked up and I'll be buying his albums for myself and my friends until he stops recording them. Thought-provoking, worshipful, praising God, uplifting mankind music. Buy it now!

Into the Mystery
Into the Mystery
Price: CDN$ 16.62
12 used & new from CDN$ 8.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album - Thought provoking, insightful..., April 17 2003
This review is from: Into the Mystery (Audio CD)
This is a classic David Wilcox album...all of this music comes from his heart, from a deeper place than even some of his previous deep music. As usual, his playing is great (Phil Keaggy plays bass on some of the pieces...is that cool or what?!) But it's always his lyrics that keep me coming back for more. Plus he signed my head when I was bald, so how could I not adore him?!

Ten Thousand Days
Ten Thousand Days
Offered by Imagine This Music
Price: CDN$ 12.69
12 used & new from CDN$ 6.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Another favorite artist, April 17 2003
This review is from: Ten Thousand Days (Audio CD)
Bebo has my heart. A little bluesy, a little folk, a large measure of rock and pop, spin and enjoy! The emotion in his voice is incredible. The pictures he paints bring so much meaning to topics we've all grown too used to hearing. Another contemporary Christian artist worth hearing! He gets better with every album.

Complete Jewish Bible-OE
Complete Jewish Bible-OE
by David H. Stern
Price: CDN$ 23.16
25 used & new from CDN$ 23.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides Fresh, Accurate Insight, Jan. 13 2003
Those reviewers who think that this translation is called the Complete Jewish Bible in order to 'trap' unsuspecting Jews into reading the New Testament have not read the authors information available on the first pages of the book. While writing this book to show the Jewishness of the New Testament to Jew and Gentile, the book can hardly be concidered deceptive...a glance at the back of the book or the table of contents will remind the reader that 'Bible' does not refer only to the Tanakh, so any Jew should realize that there is something else here.
For followers of Yeshua, however, this is a good translation that deserves it's spot on your study shelf along with your NIV, NASB, or NASB.
I have been using this translation for several years now and find it to be very accurate. I have compared it to several other standard versions and to several interlineary bibles and have been very happy with it.
As an example of the accuracy of the text, take, for example, the Greek word pisteo. The Greek word has several trasnlations: belief, faith, trust. In John 11:25, Yeshua mentions that "eveyone who (believes in, has faith in, trusts in) Me shall live even if he dies." If this is translated as believe, as it is in many translations, even the demons will live. But seeing that this word has several meanings, Dr. Stern uses other scriptures to decide that he will use the word faith. To put your faith in Yeshua is not the same as simply believing in Him.
I find that reading the names of people and places in Hewbrew rather than in English reminds me that the culture was different and I have to keep that in mind in understanding how it applies to me. Having read scripture for years, I was beginning to find my eyes scanning pages I've read over and over again without taking in the information. This translation stopped that completely.
I feel it is important for every Christian to understand the roots of his/her religion to fully understand the New Covnenant. The CJB has been a wonderful translation for me.