Profile for flaming_pie > Reviews

Content by flaming_pie

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

flaming_pie "Jill" (Canada)

Master of Reality
Master of Reality
Price: CDN$ 4.99
30 used & new from CDN$ 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking..., July 30 2006
This review is from: Master of Reality (Audio CD)
Along with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath (to me) are the founding fathers of the heavy metal genre as we know it today. Their heavy sound was something comepletely new to music, and will never be duplicated. As far as this album goes...
Sweet Leaf- the band's ode to reefer starts with a hacking cough and pulls you right in with one of the most recognizable guitar riffs in rock history. Solid lyrics, and amazing vocals from Ozzy on this one.

After Forever- not the best song on the album, but nonetheless a good tune. Starts with a fade-in of eerie feedback, and progresses into a heavy song with lots of guitar-layered effects.

Embryo- I love this one. It's only a 30 second intrumental, but it's quirky 'medieval-style' rhythm shows another rarely-seen side of Black Sabbath. It reminds me of something you'd hear in a Robin Hood movie.

Children Of The Grave- one of the best songs Black Sabbath ever did. The lyrics are supurb, the guitar heavy as hell, the bassline extremely sinister, and the drums sound like they're being played by a person with eight arms.

Orchid- believe it or not, Black Sabbath DID actually use acoustic guitars! Hard to imagine, yes, but this song is beautiful. It shows a rarely-seen side of the band.

Lord Of This World- another Sabbath masterpiece. The heavy guitar intro draws you right in, and Ozzy's wailing voice tops it all. I also like the bass/cowbell chorus.

Solitude- to me, this song seems a bit lighter than the regular Sabbath stuff. Nevertheless, it delivers. I love the use of the flute in it.

Into The Void- I couldn't think of a better way to close the album. One of my personal Sabbath favorites.

Overall, what more can I say: Buy this album, mates!!

Division Bell
Division Bell
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"
Price: CDN$ 47.86
18 used & new from CDN$ 1.50

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Turn and face the light...', July 30 2006
This review is from: Division Bell (Audio CD)
This album is something of an enigma to even most Floyd fans. Being the first album totally comprised of non-Roger ideas, there was probably alot of pressure on the remaining threesome to come up with something 'good'. Personally, I think that a person's Floyd collection would never be complete without this. 'Marooned' and 'A Great Day For Freedom' are worth the album's price alone. Give it a listen, and (hopefully) you'll realize what a lost masterpiece The Division Bell is.

Who's Next (Bonus Tracks)
Who's Next (Bonus Tracks)
Price: CDN$ 9.78
33 used & new from CDN$ 5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars How could this happen??, July 10 2006
'Who's Next' doesn't even seem like a regular album. It sounds like a greatest hits compilation. Why? Every song on it is bloody brilliant! Usually, even an awsome album has a song or two that isn't the best, but The Who managed to pull off one of the best rock and roll albums in history. Another great thing about this album is the variety of sounds and playing styles the band uses. John actually sings alone (for once), and the use of synthesizers in rock was established with Baba 'O Riley, and Won't Get Fooled Again.

Brilliant album from a brilliant band.

Tommy
Tommy
Price: CDN$ 9.98
34 used & new from CDN$ 5.79

4.0 out of 5 stars I know it's cliche to say that this is an awesome album, but..., July 10 2006
This review is from: Tommy (Audio CD)
Let's face it: 'Tommy' was The Who's final attempt to make it in show business. Even Pete said that if this didn't work, The Who were finished.

I got 'Tommy' as part of a birthday present from a friend of mine (and I nearly choked him to death (in a good way) when I saw the album cover). That being said, I think that 'Tommy' is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. It's right up there with Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt. Pepper, Highway To Hell, and Led Zeppelin IV. It's a great way to get introduced to The Who if you're not all for buying a lame greatest hits compilation. You'll find NO FILLER on here at all despite the long list of songs, and what other listeners may say. Every track is worth listening to. Highlights include: 'Overture', 'Amazing Journey', 'Eyesight To The Blind (The Hawker)', 'Sparks' (one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard), 'Cousin Kevin', 'Acid Queen', 'Pinball Wizard', 'Sally Simpson', and 'Miracle Cure'.

Add this to your Who collection mates!

Never Mind the Bollocks
Never Mind the Bollocks
Price: CDN$ 8.00
47 used & new from CDN$ 2.29

3.0 out of 5 stars "I am an anti-christ, I am an anarchist...", April 5 2006
This review is from: Never Mind the Bollocks (Audio CD)
Alright, so they only made one album. But I really don't mind these blokes. Yeah, they hated each others' guts and didn't really have much musical skill, but aside from that, this is a pretty good album. It has some great gems that not many people are aware of, and it's best when played loud or while in a bad mood.
Great for any rock fan's collection...

Incense And Peppermints
Incense And Peppermints
Price: CDN$ 8.51
31 used & new from CDN$ 4.52

4.0 out of 5 stars "Incense and peppermints, the color of time...", April 5 2006
This review is from: Incense And Peppermints (Audio CD)
Alright, so they weren't Zeppelin, but there were alot of bands around in the 60s-70s that made great music and weren't 'huge'. Strawberry Alarm Clock was made up of 6 young kids at the height of the Flower Power era who just wanted to have some fun. 'Incense & Peppermints' became a worldwide hippie anthem, and is still loved today. This album holds many hidden gems; 'Strawberries Mean Love', 'Good Morning Starshine', and the trippy 'Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow' (my favorite).
Anyway, give these guys a chance, and give this album a chance. You may just be surprised...

Disraeli Gears
Disraeli Gears
Price: CDN$ 9.73
43 used & new from CDN$ 6.42

5.0 out of 5 stars "I've been waiting for so long...", April 2 2006
This review is from: Disraeli Gears (Audio CD)
I still can't believe that a band that was together for such a short period of time made such awesome music. Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton, and Jack Bruce wrote some of the best music of the psychedellic era. I think that Disraeli Gears showcases exactly what they were trying to do. Lots of heavy wah pedals and trippy solos make this album best to listen to while stoned (*I'm kidding, of course...*)
Great album!

Sell Out
Sell Out
Price: CDN$ 9.99
36 used & new from CDN$ 4.70

4.0 out of 5 stars About as 'psychedellic' as they got..., April 2 2006
This review is from: Sell Out (Audio CD)
It's well-known that The Who absolutely DESPISED hippies, and the fact that they never came out with a defining flower power album can prove that. "Sell Out" is about as far as they took it when it came to the hippie movement. That being said...BLOODY HELL!! This album rocks. A definate edition to any Who fan's CD rack

Atom Heart Mother
Atom Heart Mother
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 23.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "I hardly even like you, I shouldn't care at all...", April 2 2006
This review is from: Atom Heart Mother (Audio CD)
For the life of me I STILL can't see where people are coming from when they put down Atom Heart Mother! This was a crucial time for the Floyd when they were still finding themselves. And find themselves they did, mates! "Fat Old Sun" is worth the entire album alone, and "Summer Of '68" is one of the few Floyd 'ballads' (even if it IS about a one-night-stand at Woodstock...)
I definately wouldn't recommend this if you are just starting to get to know Floyd, because it may turn you off. Make sure you have The Wall, Wish You Were Here, and Darkside Of The Moon under your belt before you branch off into their other stuff.
This album is ACES!!

Animals (Ltd.Ed)
Animals (Ltd.Ed)
Offered by Musique du Faubourg
Price: CDN$ 14.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars "You've gotta be crazy...", March 31 2006
This review is from: Animals (Ltd.Ed) (Audio CD)
Jeez, where to begin?
Alright, first off let me say that I've been a hardcore Floydian for about 6 years now (hey, I'm still a kid, gimmie a break, eh?)
But after listening to every Floyd album numerous times, I say that THIS one is the absolute best they ever made. The very first time I listened to it, I felt Roger Waters' dark and cynical mood at the time, and the way he was able to channel it into an entire album is truly amazing. Yeah, I know that 5 songs doesn't seem like alot to get from an album, but you've got to remember: this is Pink Floyd, which means that those songs are going to be easily over 10 minutes long (*with the exception of the first and last, which are 1:25 each).
Roger Waters was growing increasingly angry about the current music "sellouts" of the time, and decided to sort people into three groups: Dogs; greedy money-grabbers, Pigs; people who force their beliefs on others, and Sheep; the stupid followers.
"Pigs On The Wing, Parts 1-2" are beautiful songs with just Roger and an acoustic singing softly about 'dogs needing a home', and 'shelter from pigs on the wing'. Both appear at either side of the album. Part one is kind of like a question, and part two is the answer.
"Dogs". Bloody hell, best song the Floyd ever wrote, in my opinion. The soloing, lyrics, and sound effects all make it into such an angry song, but at the same time you feel pity for the dogs that David is singing about.
"Pigs (Three Different Ones)" is a creepy song...in a GOOD way. The keyboard at the beginning gives it an eerie mood, and Rogers' profane lyrics add to the appeal of it (for me anyway, heh).
Finally, "Sheep" ends Rogers' group of animals. I really do love this song as well. The best part is how his voice fades into a weird electric sound as he sings.
Yeah, so I can't even believe I wrote this much. I'd better stop before I start giving you Pink Floyd's whole biography...
BUY THIS ALBUM, MATES! You'll be glad you did