Profile for STAN > Reviews

Content by STAN

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

STAN (Ajax, Ontario)

Four Ages of Understanding: The First Postmodern Survey of Philosophy from Ancient Times to the Turn of the Twenty-First Century
by John Deely
Price: CDN$ 37.80
11 used & new from CDN$ 37.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Though Poinsot can easily be argued to be the CULMINATION and COMPLETION of ..., Oct. 31 2014
This was my "summer reading" at the cottage last summer. I became aware of this by reading "The Way Toward Wisdom - An Interdisciplinary and Intercultural Introduction to Metaphysics; Benedict M. Ashley, O.P.", which made frequent references to it.

I became quickly transfixed! Not dry is this reading of the History of philosophy. Also, a fundamental HOLE in other histories of philiosphy is soundly and quite overduely plugged, in the story of John Poinsot. Poinsot happened along at the end of the Latin age, unfortunately when that age had become persona non grata and thought dead. as per Monty Python: "I'm not dead yet!" Not even close! - But the vagaries of history have their way. Though Poinsot can easily be argued to be the CULMINATION and COMPLETION of all Latin thought. He unfortunately was relegated to the shelves for ~400 years. What a travesty!! Sad for us, Modern Philosophy was taking over. I could scarce believe what I was reading. For instance It astounds me that such an institution as the University at Berkeley, is named after such an intellectual twit. But fashion does have its ways.

Happily now, Modernity is dead, buried, hopefully soon forgotten. Tied in a bow by Poinsot and Peirce. This book is dedicated to "all those who will read it through". - Thank you very much Mr. Deely. I enjoyed every word thoroughly. (Now reading Essetial Peirce I & II)

Welcome to the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites
Welcome to the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites
by Aloysius Deeney
Price: CDN$ 14.66
10 used & new from CDN$ 8.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Intro, Feb. 25 2011
If you want to know what the OCDS commitment really is. This is the book. Very straight talk. It is a simple commitment. A PROMISE to be a member of a community. To contemplate with St Theresa and the Church, that your contemplation might bring service to God.

I Believe (CTV Vancouver 2010)
I Believe (CTV Vancouver 2010)
Price: CDN$ 10.44
18 used & new from CDN$ 1.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebuttle - GO NIKKI - GO CANADA !, Feb. 15 2010
Whew - that was some review Matthew Biederman.

The first time I heard that song on the radio, not knowing it was the Olympic song, I was impressed. Nikki's voice is strong and passionate and the song is masterly crafted.

The CTV is also using it very very well. I have just watched the coverage of Alexandre Bilodeau's gold medal, where they used the vocal version while showing shots of him & his brother. It was very moving and effective.

Nikki is a very genuine young lady, whose clear and commanding voice are matched beautifully to the unfolding events at the olympics, where all these other genuine and hard working young people are exhibiting their talents for the world to see.

Perhaps you should turn off your spinal-tap records and come out of your mothers basement and greet the world.

I rated only 4 because, frankly, I haven't heard the whole thing, Just Nikki.

The Discovery Of God
The Discovery Of God
by Henri de Lubac
Price: CDN$ 27.55
20 used & new from CDN$ 19.14

3.0 out of 5 stars Reflections on God, Sept. 23 2009
This review is from: The Discovery Of God (Paperback)
This book is a collection of Reflections on God, proof of his existence,and his nature, what he's like (more rather what he's not) Very intellectually written (of course - Its De Lubac). Chewy. Its OK. Not what I would call spellbinding. I'm waiting to find that Delubac Book that is.