Profile for Peter Werner > Reviews

Content by Peter Werner

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Peter Werner "peterwerner4" (Essingen, Germany)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Children of the Night
Children of the Night
by Dan Simmons
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires - different!, April 30 2000
There have been a lot of vampire novels and stories, and I have read a good number of them. But this one is entirely different. The author uses science to explain the phenomenon. This makes the strength and the weakness of the book. We see vampires that are of this world and the author creates horror - and a good one as well - without having to use the supernatural. But his scientific explanations are too lengthy and kill suspense at times. The ending is also a trifle too forced. But all people who love horror must read this novel.

Terminal Condition
Terminal Condition
by David Shobin
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspense!, April 30 2000
This book is a real page turner. It was my first Shobin novel and I kept comparing him to Robin Cook. I must say his characters are much more believable than Cook's. Above all the woman protagonist, because this is where Cook almost infallibly fails. I appreciated, too, that Shobin did not elaborate too much in scientific explanations. This would have killed the tension. I will certainly read all the other novels by David Shobin.

The Black Echo
The Black Echo
by Michael Connelly
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect mystery, Sept. 17 1999
Michael Connelly seems to be a modern and more down to earth re-incarnation of Agatha Christie. His plots are very well constructed, and he always manages to give the story a new twist, even after you think "that was it". And his characters are developped very realistically and each of them a psychological study in itself. They are all characters that could live next door. The action is never a cheap appeal to primitive instincts but a result of a breath-taking plot and credible characters. A great novel!

Deadly Medicine
Deadly Medicine
by Leonard Goldberg
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his other novels, Aug. 8 1999
OK, I enjoyed reading this novel. The plot is well constructed at first, and there is a lot of action and suspense. But I was also disappointed. Unlike in the other novels the main characters - above all Joanna Blalock - are not really consistent or believable in their presentation, with the exception of Sinclair. The ending is a real surprise - but too many questions remain open. Some lines of the plot just stop or fade away without a logical explanation. I prefer the other Blalock novels.

Beowulf's Children
Beowulf's Children
by Larry Niven
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Greater than the first novel!, July 28 1999
Maybe that the charactar of Aaron is not realy realistic. But does this really matter? The novel covers everything that plays a role in human and social relationships: individuality, egocentric behavior, humanity, love and a good deal of human defects. I liked reading the book - more even than the first one. Come on, guys, lets have a third novel. A trilogy, wouldn't that be an idea?

Sacrifice
Sacrifice
by JOHN FARRIS
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense!, July 28 1999
This review is from: Sacrifice (Paperback)
The suspense of this book is created by dramatic irony rather than the reader not knowing what will happen next. We know what will happen next, but we want to know how it will happen. The ending is not really a climax - as we know already what will happen - but a surprise ending in the sense that we do not know how the main characters will survive or endure it. A superb book. A horror novel "comme il faut"!

Night Prey
Night Prey
by John Sandford
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Thrilling!, June 27 1999
This review is from: Night Prey (Mass Market Paperback)
Again a great mystery by John Sandford. His characters are real and credible characters with all their attractions and mistakes. Even the monsters are not those we find in horror novels, but we can read about them in the newspapers every now and then. There are people like this, and Sandford describes them and their motives and pains in an almost clinical way. And again he proves with this book that he is one of masters of suspense. A must for mystery fans.

The Hollow Man
The Hollow Man
by Dan Simmons
Price: CDN$ 9.89
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars good idea - strange writing, March 17 1999
This review is from: The Hollow Man (Paperback)
After reading the book I had mixed feelings. I read it fast - there was suspense. But then, Jeremy travels through the USA, his behavior inexplicable and without motivation. His grief does not explain it. And he behaves in a completely unnatural way that is not psychologically explained at all. Jeremey's chaos math seems to have entered Simmons' brain while he was writing the novel. I liked "Song of Kali" a lot better.

The Last Coyote
The Last Coyote
by Michael Connelly
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book - ending a bit weak, Feb. 15 1999
Again an absolute must for mystery readers. Bosch is digging in his past, in his roots. What he finds is depressing, but it helps him too. It is a novel full of tension. But the ending is not so good. A man like Harry Bosch should be able to cope with what he found. He is not someone who cracks too easily. Or does Michael Connelly want to forget him?

Clones And Clones
Clones And Clones
by Martha C Nussbaum
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.73

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I'm not a clone, Dec 18 1998
This review is from: Clones And Clones (Hardcover)
This book is a must for all those who want to inform themselves about this problem, which will mark the history of our near future. It is not highly scientific because at the moment we can only speculate what kind of impact cloning of humans may have on us - once it is allowed. If it is not allowed, it will be done - because what someone thinks will be carried out. It has been like that throughout our scientific history. (Otto Hahn dropped the idea of the atomic bomb - and someone else built it.) We will have to face human clones in the very near future. And we want to know how we will face this new situation. And this is what this book is about. It gives you a variety of impulses and, of course, it has to be highly speculative. We simply cannot analyze a situation that we do not have in reality. The stories at the end of the book are not very good, but they are a good try to interest readers that have difficulties with facts only. Science fiction literature would have provided far better stories. I am glad this book was written, and I'm glad I'm not a clone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11