Profile for Crazy2Bhere > Reviews

Content by Crazy2Bhere

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Crazy2Bhere "Crazy" (USA)

Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 33.70
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, Nov. 10 2003
At first I did not want to see this movie, mainly because of the cliche that there are no real good holocaust movies. "Sophie's Choice" was a snooze and too long, "Life is Beautiful" got me rooting for the Nazi's to put old Roberto out of his misery & "Shindler's List" was an abysmal piece of dreck. But with that in mind- this is, after all Roman Polanski- a good if not great director who knows how to tell a story and well. Is this as good as his earlier masterpieces "Repulsion" & "Chinatown"? Well, yes and no. This film works because it is not drenched in sentiment & the characters are real people & not cliches. It also works by focusing on one man's struggle & that fact that he had a love for music- which helped to keep his mind intact (& therby make him more unique). Therefore you begin to care about the characters- & the film moves as in a point by point basis. There are no forced emotions- everything is as is and Polanski leaves it up to the audience to feel the way they want. Also- this film does not label the characters as all "good" or all "bad". There are good Jews and bad Jews. Good Poles and bad Poles. Good Germans and bad Germans, unlike Oscar Schindler who is either ALL bad & then changes to become ALL good. Let us remind ourselves that Hitler and these Nazi's were people just like you and me- who laughed and cried and felt, which is what makes them all the more SCARIER- that they too could be ANY one of us. Kinda freaky if you really think about it. So kick back and give 2 1/2 hrs of your time to learn and enjoy & probably feel depressed at the end.

Girl Talk
Girl Talk
by Julianna Baggott
Price: CDN$ 15.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull MFA'd tripe, Nov. 8 2003
This review is from: Girl Talk (Paperback)
If Baggott has an original voice, it certainly isn't shown in this novel. A paint-by-numbers narration and terribly dull, no one will read this in the coming years. Her poetry is a joke & frankly she's not only a bad writer, she's not a person worth remembering or talking about. Now, why am I surprised this garbage gets published?

Whole Grain: Collected Poems
Whole Grain: Collected Poems
by James A. Emanuel
6 used & new from CDN$ 597.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Great! Great!, Nov. 7 2003
This is one GREAT poet- after half a century of neglect one should hope that James gets his due. Rich alliteration & assonance, deep themes, political without being POLITICAL, he is a master of both form and free verse.
Something low within each rock receives
His noonday wish, then crumbles rich; so fills
Each furrow that the prairie year upheaves.
-from his sonnet For a Farmer
Just look at the Beauty and richness and music of these lines. If you want some great poetry & are a fan esp of Brooks, Hayden, Cullen et al- this is the poet for you.

DREAMER: A Novel About Martin Luther King, Jr.
DREAMER: A Novel About Martin Luther King, Jr.
by Charles Johnson
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a great read!, Nov. 7 2003
This is easily one of the most overlooked books I have ever read. Rich dialogue, interesting characters, poetic moments tie this story into a wonderful tale. The title can be read as MLK himself, as Bishop & his lust for Amy & wish for more self-confidence (i.e.- not so introverted & forgettable in the face, although when the character states this it is not drowned in sentiment) and the decoy Smith with his self-obsession to be like MLK. This is a rather quick read- very tight with little fat. Things happen quickly, and the observations Bishop make are unique, as well as the thoughts filling the mind of MLK. Some complaints about the end, re: "we all killed him"- Johnson isn't at all preachy, and again is only a defacto comment & not drenched in sentiment. There is no "Hurrah!" moment- & this is what makes it realistic & probably why Johnson is such an overlooked writer. Also there are some wonderfully musical lines that would make for good poetry. Highly recommended if you want a deep, reflective story & not a condescending epic.

Interpreter of Maladies
Interpreter of Maladies
by Jhumpa Lahiri
Price: CDN$ 13.68
243 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull pretense, Nov. 7 2003
This is not the worst book I have ever read, but that does not make it good, either. I might have have been inclined to give this 2 stars, but after seeing all the glowing reviews I got annoyed. I'm convinced that the only reason this won a Pulitzer is because it is written by an Indian woman, writing about other cultures. (& prob the only reason it has gotten as good as reviews as it has). Not to mention that the publishing industry is so focused on "intent" over "result"- they will be more willing to let a woman of another culture yap about her kin than if the same yapping was done by a dead white male. (Or if it's about rape/incest/abuse/suffering/etc then it's OK too.)
Frankly, the characters in these stories are boring. The situations are dull and predictable. Overall, her writing is pretentious. Critics never talk about being "pretentious" anymore. It's easily dismissed as "style". The 1st story "A Temporary Matter" has the most potential. It wasn't a bad story, but not really good, either. There is no pizazz in her dialogue & the characters are banal and generic. I can't argue if anyone "likes" this book. But I can say that I read a lot & when I see nothing new (which is most of the case) I have no reservation in saying it, Pulitzer or not. But then again, if this is Pulitzer worthy material, one cannot aspire too high. Afterall, with garbage like "Saving Private Ryan" winning Oscars (Did I live a good life? Tell me I'm a good man- boo hoo) one cannot hope for too much. At least this book isn't quite as bad as that shlock epic.

by Nell Freudenberger
Price: CDN$ 35.05

1.0 out of 5 stars Still one star, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: Lucky Girls (Hardcover)
It's funny how all the positive reviews seem to be from people who know her, who knew her, or went to school with her. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Doesn't change the quality of her writing one bit. O for the love of literature!

The Secret Life of Bees
The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd
Price: CDN$ 12.27
233 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Agree with 22snappy, Nov. 1 2003
I haven't yet finished this book, but I thought I'd write my mid-way impression. The problems I have with it are as follows: 22snappy makes some good points about the cliched sort of tounge and cheek condescending views the author has for black people. Perhaps this was not her intention, but the whole "mystical negro" woman thing is really PC & cliched. Also, the use of the Virgin Mary as the Queen Bee is a bit heavy handed. Althouh I'm not religious, I felt the constant reference to it as being the closest thing to a "safe" anchor. In other words, since Kidd is writing about racism in the 1960's south, she needs to be very selectful at what she says & how it's said. For the mass audience, this will not offend because the majority of people who read this will be white. Black people, however, might feel diffrently, and rightfully so.
On the good hand, Kidd has some intresting descriptions of things and her lead character can make some insightful observations. The Zach character is written very well & is his own person, not some cliched "negro boy". The other women the lead character spends time with are somewhat well developed & the use of the bee metaphor for the lives of women (although it has been done before & is nothing new- see Plath)is also handled well for what it is. Although I can't be more specific (since I haven't finished the book yet) my only last criticism would be that Lily does not really talk like a 14 year old. I would have liked to see more slang coming from her- you know- more stuff that 14 year olds say. I have trouble buying her young age. And if some readers wonder why I "trash" most books I review- it's because frankly, there isn't that much good stuff being published. This book is better than most, but is still limited in its chances & risk taking.
A day later- I have finished the book & was dissapointed in how Kidd chose to end it. The metaphors are over explained & in the end just turns out to be another sappy mother daughter bonding book. There were moments where I just wanted to cringe (you must find the mother inside of you, August says when explining how the colony of bees will die if the queen/mother is dead )- pulleeze! I was glad that T.Ray stayed the loser that he was & that it was not the happy ending where she ends up with Zach & T.Ray sees the error of his ways. On the other hand, why do books like these feel the need to constantly have this big underlying "secret"? Regardless of murder/rape/incest etc- it reminded me a bit of "Shipping News" where everyone has a melodramatic secret. This isn't reality because in real life people only wish they had great secrets behind them to make up for thier vapid existence. Overall, I think this story had some real potential & is even "likeable" but the problems I have with how some of Kidd's technique falls I still stand behind 100%

The Magic Whip
The Magic Whip
by Wang Ping
Price: CDN$ 13.83
14 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute tripe, Oct. 18 2003
This review is from: The Magic Whip (Paperback)
I read a few of these poems when I was in the book store & they are typical cliched political rants that are poorly broken, have no music, & frankly have nothing good to say about them. They are totally generic & give no distinction to the writer. Why do presses publish such terrible poetry? Why is the focus of literature the intent/political oppression/I have suffered & here I am to tell my tale (& poorly)? I can't answer these questions because I have no idea why a Wang Ping is published, let alone a Sharon Olds, or a Jorie Grahmn. They are all bad & will be forgotton. No one will care about this woman in 5 years. Coffee House is known for its terrible poetry- don't waste your money.

by Nell Freudenberger
Price: CDN$ 35.05

1.0 out of 5 stars Banal, Oct. 3 2003
This review is from: Lucky Girls (Hardcover)
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. No real characters, cliched, dull, melodramatic & typical tripe written by a twentysomething "I want to save the world" attitude. This is Postmodernism in its worst sense, anyone giving this 5 stars has to be "undereducated" himself!
PS- Deb, honey- t'was I you were speaking of- not 'reader' below & American Psycho is not the only thing I gave one star, if you actually read. Oh wait- I forgot- Lucky Girls is you're idea of great lit. 'scuse-moi. Maybe a grown-up can help to thumb through that Thesaurus while you're online? I dunno, just a thought...

Special: A Novel
Special: A Novel
by Bella Bathurst
19 used & new from CDN$ 2.86

2.0 out of 5 stars More teen angst, July 27 2003
This review is from: Special: A Novel (Paperback)
Let me begin by saying that this novel is more dissapointing than anything else. Dissapointing because it had the potential to be a really excellent story and blew it. The first half of the book, if not two-thirds is quite good. Very good in fact, that I couldn't wait to see what happened. In her rich prose, Bathurst uses interesting descriptions of things- such as comparing a woman's face after a car accident looking like a "purple moon". The dialog between the characters was also fresh and not cliched typical teen angst...that is, not until the last third of the book. The Ms. Naylor character is somewhat cliched and underdeveloped- she's just a typical school marm & some of the other tropes can be a little heavy handed- there's the "ugly girl" the "pretty girl", the "jealous girl" who is never good enough etc- the problem though, is that these characters begin to develop and then just become cliches. I'm tired of reading about girls with eating disorders, girls who cut themselves, blah blah blah. The ending has no real "resolution" (which I liked)like most books today do- there's no happy ending and the girl who feels nothing in the end still feels nothing. I liked the idea that things go unresolved, but I couldn't care less about any of these characters, much less am I supposed to feel something for the girl who feels nothing? This is supposed to be somewhat like "Lord of the Flies" which as you know, is nothing about teen angst- in fact it's the opposite because you FORGET that these are kids and begin to believe they are killers. In "Special" you are so constantly reminded of their immaturity and youth & that's why this novel doesn't hold the same power. The last line in the book is "she felt nothing at all" & that's exactly how I felt about these characters. Read this book for the first half & then it's a snoozer the rest of the way through.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6