Profile for Lancelot > Reviews

Content by Lancelot

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lancelot "1dreamer" (Jackson, MS USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Belly (Widescreen)
Belly (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Nas
Offered by boutiquecinemaniac,com
Price: CDN$ 39.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 4.86

5.0 out of 5 stars May be the best Black movie ever., Dec 19 2002
This review is from: Belly (Widescreen) (DVD)
A searing look at Black urban negritude, hope, and despair. One man's journey toward mastery of his life, another's sad descent downward, toward ultimate redemption? Two brothers, and many lost souls in and out of urban and suburban worlds. A masterpiece. Visually superior; there is no other movie out there that can even touch its color, images, and texture.

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power
by Daniel Yergin
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars 46th Reviewer!? If you get to me...., Oct. 9 2002
...then you really want to know about this book. OK, I'll give it to you straight. It is the most fascinating, interesting, and riveting non-fictional book I have ever read, and I read a lot.
The Prize reads like a thriller, but is educating you like a semester in a Power, Politics, and Modern Money History class at Harvard. Go ahead and buy it. You'll reconsider your plan to read all that melodramatic fiction on your bookshelves. Believe me.

Bulletproof Wallets: Featuring
Bulletproof Wallets: Featuring
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 32.88
7 used & new from CDN$ 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating genius; time to step up, Ghost, Oct. 9 2002
Ghost is the most gifted of the Wu Tang artists. His "urgency", as one writer put it, is his gift. He grabs the mike (and you), and you're disturbed, pleased, moved, changed. Placed squarely on the edge (where you want to be?). Really an extraordinary rap voice.
Now, for the music, the beats. When he's grooving to RZA's standard sounds, or grooving, surprisingly, on R&B beats, he's the most pleasing rap artist-bar none- out there; when he goes off on these irritating rants (of music and vocals), you wonder why he's doing this. Why waste precious CD space on self-centered rantings when we're buying your music to hear you kick it and put it down, rap ultra-player gangsta style, on the the track? It's very frustrating for a fan of intelligent and thoughtful lyricism, searching for the true genius in the game.

Black Dahlia
Black Dahlia
Price: CDN$ 34.94
8 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Moody, mystical, smooth, remarkable, Oct. 5 2001
This review is from: Black Dahlia (Audio CD)
Belden's haunting Black Dahlia is bottomlessly smooth, articulate and sophisticated jazz and jazz orchestra which puts you in it's own solitary mood. I love this CD. More contemporary and more stylish the more I listen to it (at first it seemed 50's or 60's ish).
I listen to rhythm and blues, jazz, hip-hop, classical, almost all forms of music. One thing I've learned is that if the music has quality, wit, mood, and tempo, its just great and timeless music. Like this is. Period. If you're looking for an easy, moody, hazy sophistacation, a clear saxophone, strings, harps, and mood mood mood with contemporary sophistication, then this is it. You'll listen to it on the highway or with someone you love on a rainy day. You feel me?

City High
City High
Price: CDN$ 16.05
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Great C.D., Sept. 9 2001
This review is from: City High (Audio CD)
It's a cd that touches on real subjects that a lot of poeple wouldn't dream on talking about. You can also groove to most, if not all, of the songs. If you want a real, yet conservative and classy cd this is one you should choose.

Vol. 2- Om Lounge
Vol. 2- Om Lounge
Price: CDN$ 12.91
9 used & new from CDN$ 9.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to put this in the car CD changer, July 17 2001
This review is from: Vol. 2- Om Lounge (Audio CD)
I skipped Vol. 1 to purchase Vol.2 because of the reviews which were all 5 stars. I just added my 5 star rating to the ones that were already there; it deserves it. I love this fresh, rhythmic, jazz-rock-funk CD. It is alive with surprise after surprise in the music. New stuff you've never heard-rhythmic guitars, bass lines.
You'll love this CD if you are a fan of contemporary jazz fusion or just a fan of modern music. Also, check out Acid Jazz Volumn One, it's great, too. You'll be rocking down the highway or grooving around your house. Enjoy. Really great music.

Measure Of A Man
Measure Of A Man
by Sidney Poitier
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars He won me over..., April 7 2001
This review is from: Measure Of A Man (Hardcover)
Let's see, I started out asking, am I a Sidney Poiter fan or not? I'm not sure. Some of his work has always left me a little on edge, unfomfortable...is this the strong, independent image of a black man that I've wanted to see on the screen and at the podiums at all of those awards banquets where I've watched Sidney all these years? Was his smile and demeanor just a little too reminiscent of the old day's actors' smiles...the ones they had to put on or face obscurity? "We build da chappel...I build da chappel".
Well, I had to respect his many great and worthy accomplishments, his ability to survive the slings and arrows all blacks suffer who put themselves on the line..and that dignity of his. What is the source of this dignity and courage? Why and how does he generate such respect from every single person of every single race, power stratum, whom his life has ever touched? I thought I'd discover this phenomenon for myself, so I read this autobiography. I was surprised, right away, that this really is more than an autobiography, it is an inside look at a spiritual quest, a confirmation of one man's life. Why are we here? Is impending oblivion important to our faith? Must we make a personal "sense" out of a senseless universe? Is God benevolent, or does he revel in the clash of competing opposites? Does talent, like spirit, defy extermination even through death? Are we the sum total of our ancestors? And what is the role of quality in our lives, and is there any other purpose for us?
Sidney answers none of these questions for you and tells you defiantly, in your face, that he is not going to and can not. He calls life like he sees it with no condescension whatsoever. He tells you and makes you know he is as flawed as you are. His painful rememberences about his daughters and the small amount of time he was allowed with them and yet how he was there for every second the law allowed will touch you and remind you about responsibility.
A great and inspiring read. Yes, I'm a fan of Sidney's, because I know myself better now and he is me.

Plain Rap
Plain Rap
Price: CDN$ 32.76
9 used & new from CDN$ 4.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, really great CD, April 7 2001
This review is from: Plain Rap (Audio CD)
I love really great music of almost any kind; jazz, rap, classical, even pop, if it's good. This CD was brought to my attention by the mellow people of Xavier University in New Orleans where it has been the number one "after party", smooth, semi-gangster with a message CD for a couple of years.
You can get up and slow groove-dance to it, or cruise down the highway with it(my favorite way to listen to it), and you hear a little something more inside the rhythems and vocals every time. It is in the genre of DJ Quick, Snoop, Tha Dogg Pound, and other rockin' smooth stylists. I think if you like the smooth funk west coast CD style, you'll love this one like I do. And give it a little time; your other CD's will start to sound like something is missing...its creative genius. These guys have it and I wish them more maturity and more success in the future. From a fan and former musician who loves great, creative music in any style.

Rhythm-Al-Ism
Rhythm-Al-Ism
Price: CDN$ 25.63
7 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius just scratching the surface, March 12 2001
This review is from: Rhythm-Al-Ism (Audio CD)
DJ Quik is probably not as well known as many rap artists of much lesser talent. Funky funky rhythms, ochestration so much more sophistacted than you would expect from this genre. Gangster-smooth style. Interesting, if often foul lyrics (one of the unfortunte aspects of his immaturity), DJ Quik makes you party, smooth style. I don't like the inconsistency of his music. One minute you're grooving West coast, Gangster style. The next minute, something off and really irritating. I don't understand this about his work.
His talent is obviously on par with Dr. Dre, Timberland, any of the other prominent producers. Hasn't quite hit his stride yet, but if he continues to study the music and stay true to the game, he'll be the best, I predict.

Romance (Widescreen) [Import]
Romance (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Caroline Ducey
Price: CDN$ 16.39
20 used & new from CDN$ 9.74

5.0 out of 5 stars An psychological study of the female sexual animal, Oct. 29 2000
As a fairly conservative heterosexual male, I was really curious to read the reviews about this movie. So erotic at times it took my breath away, then disturbing...unnerving, frustrating even. It made me uncomfortable, and this is a good thing, right? What is wrong with him, I often asked? And her? Urbane and sophisticated. Shouldn't some movies disturb us and make us view the world differently and not just entertain us? This one does it.
I suspect the deepest female sexual animal seperate from her public facade, forced by our society (our "heroine" is a schoolteacher, after all) to stay hidden nearly always, disturbs many of us and perhaps makes this movie too strong for the mainstream. I found it very intriguing and in the vein of the French Emmanuelle series and perhaps 9 1/2 weeks (Rourke/Basinger). Colorful, hot. Makes you look at all women, and yourself, a little differently. What is really ticking inside there? What would she do if she stopped holding back? I agree with the other reviewers that it may become a classic and I for one, would love to see more from the writer/director.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3