ARRAY(0xb286f8e8)

Profile for Lancelot > Reviews

Content by Lancelot

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lancelot "1dreamer" (Jackson, MS USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dogg Food
Dogg Food
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 15.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Very best of troubling West Coast Rap, Dre. and Suge Knight, Aug. 27 2000
This review is from: Dogg Food (Audio CD)
I had to add my review because this CD is truly a classic. If you liked Snoop's earlier work, and Dre.'s and Suge Knight's pure early genius, then the hypnotic lyrics by Kurrupt and Dazz's bottom will take you away from here, believe me. Even my man Nate Dogg is smooth as silk. You'll love this CD. May be the best rap CD ever.
I recently starting kicking this CD again, and I have to tell all who are reading this that I am still uncomfortable with the cruelty of many of these Death Row themes, and I'm not sure why these guys felt it necessary to degrade and deride so many people; nevertheless, the music and intelligence is so strong, so pure that I have to tell you I love it. Black Genius.

Unlimited Power: The New Science Of Personal Achievement
Unlimited Power: The New Science Of Personal Achievement
by Anthony Robbins
Price: CDN$ 14.44
71 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to add my 5 stars!, Aug. 27 2000
I gave this five stars and send in this review just to push this great work on up to where it belongs. I have a bookshelf full of self help tapes, some good, like Zig Ziglar, Louisa Hays, Depak Chopra, some really terrible and rip offs. I really don't like being ripped off in the name of "inspiration". But this is really the best motivational tape I've come accross in years, better than others by the author. It's fun to listen to, insightful, intelligent without being condescending or partonizing, just a very inspirational and motivational work. Something different about it strikes me every time I listen to it. It's gotten me back on track after a lull in my life, gotten my juices flowing again and I'm already achieving greater success in all important areas of my life...what else can I tell you? Try it, it's worth the price of the purchase, I promise.
Hal D.

Rhythm-Al-Ism
Rhythm-Al-Ism
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 22.62
7 used & new from CDN$ 5.51

5.0 out of 5 stars D.J. Quik knows what he's doing, July 17 2000
This review is from: Rhythm-Al-Ism (Audio CD)
This c.d. is off the chain! D.J. Quik is one of the best out there! My mom wont listen to any other rap c.d.'s but this one so it's got to be good!

How to Use the Silva Method For Prosperity and Abundance
How to Use the Silva Method For Prosperity and Abundance
by Hans DeJong
Edition: Audio Cassette
13 used & new from CDN$ 53.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as DeJong's other work, July 6 2000
I am a fan of DeJongs's and feel like his work has dramatically influenced my life. His first tape, The Silva Method, was better and had cleaner, more usable exercises.
This work is more talky, the exercises are somewhat difficult to use, and I would recommend this work only after you have experienced his other, which has exercises so powerful you feel mentally and physically refreshed, stronger, different through practicing them.
In fairness, you've got to be committed to a daily routine of practise, and if you aren't willing to do this, you really won't immediately benefit from any Silva program.

Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
by George Jackson
Price: CDN$ 15.12
21 used & new from CDN$ 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars One day this will be recognized, Jan. 23 2000
I first read this work nearly thirty years ago, and at the time I was so moved by the passion and pain contained within it that I could barely speak about it...it seemed almost too real, too personal to bear...especially after George Jackson was denied the romance of his life (Dr. Angela Davis) and murdered for allegedly trying to "escape" from Soledad Prison-really to nowhere, if you look at what happened.
In retrospect, I am sure that years from now this work will be studied by a different educational system...not with his communist vision (where else might he have found his political haven?), but a system which will value the perspective of even its lowest common denominator, if intelligently and thoughtfully expressed. In the meantime, I suspect this work is too strong for the average reader and student of American society. But read it for its extradinary exhibition of love. It's extraordinary recitation of pain, lonliness, and disappointment. Read it because it shows, no- takes you inside the mind of one who saw and knew and lived our system at its most brutal level.
Ultimately, Mr. Jackson reveals how one man's strength and humanity renders our stone walls (literal and figurative) powerless over the human spirit. George's passion, will, love, and commitment will one day be vindicated.

My Favorite Things (Deluxe Edition)
My Favorite Things (Deluxe Edition)
Price: CDN$ 21.13
14 used & new from CDN$ 8.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, melodic masterpiece, Nov. 3 1999
I've loved this haunting, melodic masterpiece since the 60's. Even now, on a Sunday morning or in a mellow mood, I hear new things when I play it; I wonder anew at the genius and thoughtfulness of our flawed man-saint, John Coltrane. A timeless giant we'll always ponder.

White Butterfly
White Butterfly
by Walter Mosley
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Mosley's best work., Oct. 21 1999
This review is from: White Butterfly (Paperback)
"White Butterfly" is in my opinion Mr. Mosley's best work. This is from a devoted fan of his writing. I've read nearly everything he's written and this work stands out for its intrigue, suspense, character development and its microcosmic journey into the harsh realities of American's fixation on race.
Intelligent, subtle treatment of the tension which can exist given America's juxtaposition of race, sex, and murder on the life of strong black man struggling with his desire to live the American Dream not the American nightmare- even though there are dream ghosts and phanthoms everywhere. Great, classical work.

Black Betty
Black Betty
by Walter Mosley
11 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars White Butterfly, others better., Oct. 21 1999
This review is from: Black Betty (Paperback)
I love Walter Mosley's work and have read almost everything he's written. I found Black Betty to be extremely dark and mediocre. I understand Mr. Mosley had recently lost a family member when he wrote this.
It didn't have the author's normal existential optimism in the main character, Easy Rawlins, and I felt strangely empty and saddened by this work. Skip it for some of Mosley's newer, more profound work. A great writer with an unlimited future and unparalleled legacy.

Journey to Justice
Journey to Justice
by Johnnie Cochran
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to write this review after reading the others., Oct. 21 1999
I was irritated by the reviews of this book. Whether you have negative or positive feelings about O.J. Simpson, treat this author fairly and read his book, as you would any other, with an open mind. Obviously the earlier reviewers didn't. Why read a book if you've formed an opinion already? You're apparently seeking vindication for your prejudices, not information or knowledge. I suspect there are more nefarious, more personal, not-so-healthy reasons.
Whatever you feel about the O.J. trial, you must acknowledge Johnnie Cochran's excellence, his perserverance, and his professionalism. Now, if you want to know about the sorce of these qualities and the forces that molded him into the man he is (fighter, scholar, uncompromising attorney) then read "Journey To Justice" and be motivated. An interesting, spiritually uplifting work.

Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
by Howard Schultz
Price: CDN$ 13.87
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, nothing inspirational here in the cassette, Oct. 20 1999
I read all kinds of books and try to be open minded about what I expect from them. This audio cassette was like drinking weak tea and barely kept my attention. The author/actor never told me what forces were at work inside him, what drove him, what scared him, what motivated him. What should I have gained from this? Superficial and weak. Maybe the book was better as a reviewer indicated..save your money on the cassette...sorry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3