march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family
Profile for Esme > Reviews

Content by Esme

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Esme (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated. Not that interesting., March 26 2016
I had heard from a friend that this book was a must-read so I bought it. But it disappointed me from the very beginning. The premise of this woman taking the train everyday and seeing various people from the train window did not develop the characters - or the storyline - particularly well. By the time the book really got in to the crime that had been committed, I just wasn't that interested. I decided that I would make a real effort to finish the book but was no more satisfied by the ending. I can see why Hollywood would want to make a movie of this book. It is almost written as a screenplay. But it's commercial value doesn't make it any more compelling, in fact, I think it makes it less. Not a recommend.

Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up
Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and helpful, Jan. 17 2016
This is a more detailed book on KonMari's approach to tidying to her previous one. I liked it. She continues the theme of having a relationship with your things and looking at each item with 'respect' and determining if it should continue to be in your life based on whether or not it 'sparks joy'. It feels to me like a very Japanese concept and a beautiful one. Yes, she is a bit unrealistic at times but I like the emotional quality of this book. Tidying your belongings and your house can lead to more clarity of thought in your life. I actually believe that and so this book works for me. Would recommend to anyone like-minded.

Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
Offered by Macmillan CA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting read, Oct. 19 2015
This is quite an in-depth look at evolution and how it affects many aspects of life on earth, including viruses, disease and microorganisms. I learned a lot and it furthered my knowledge in this very interesting topic. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the author lapses into a rant quite frequently about the ignorance of the creationists and their rejection of science which I found interesting initially and then tedious after he referred to it too many times. I am already convinced that evolution is real but I am already sold and don't need the argument aimed at creationists to prove the validity of the science behind evolution. Other than that, this is an excellent book on the topic. I would recommend it to anyone interested in evolution.

The Meaning of Human Existence
The Meaning of Human Existence
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, Oct. 11 2015
I enjoyed this book and it enhanced my understanding of the evolution of Homo sapiens and the ways in which our current behavior and beliefs can be explained by our early roots. I didn't actually think that it adequately lived up to its title - the meaning of existence - which was an ambitious theme. However I still got a lot out of it.

The Nine Lives of Charlotte Taylor
The Nine Lives of Charlotte Taylor
Price: CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portrait of a pioneer woman in Canada, Aug. 24 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the fiction woven around the true story of an exceptional young woman and her struggle to survive in eastern Canada in the early days of settlement. Beautifully written and interesting to read. Highly recommend.

The Quick and Dirty Guide to Kondo Marie's "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" (No-Bullshit Executive Summary Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too glib for a summary, March 18 2015
I actually read the original book and was looking for a good executive summary. This isn't really that. The author is a bit of a smart aleck, cracking jokes and not really covering the content of the book with any seriousness. I would have saved my money. Don't recommend.

Price: CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - a spiritual take on organizing, March 17 2015
This book is a breath of fresh air if you are at all interested in organizing your life and home, once and for all. I have read quite a few books on this topic and Marie Kondo does a brilliant job of simplifying the whole process. All I can say is read this book if you are interested in this topic. It is simple and motivating.

Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
Price: CDN$ 11.02

1.0 out of 5 stars not that great, March 7 2015
I wasn't very impressed with this book. There are several reasons. First is that it feels a lot like a personal rant and doesn't cast a broad net, as this issue deserves. Second it starts out with the view that however you view God or a higher power is fine but by the second half it is very God-based and God-biased. In other words, the notion of a personal interpretation of a higher power has given way to a very conventional view of a personally-directed, benevolent God giving you signals every day. I have my own spirituality but these references left me cold. The third issue was that I didn't find a clear understanding of what codependence really is. This book uses alcoholism and codependence interchangeably and had me confused. I get that one person can have both but I felt the thinking on this point was fuzzy and unclear. Overall I wouldn't recommend.

The Spymistress: A Novel
The Spymistress: A Novel
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read overall, Oct. 20 2014
I enjoyed the story but found it a bit ponderous in the early parts of this book. It didn't really move along at a good pace until the middle. The detail is good however and it gave me a better appreciation for the civil war from the perspective of Richmond, Virginia and Elizabeth Van Lew.

Whitmor 6478-1622-15-BLK Spacemaker Hanger Collection Dress and Shirt Hangers, Set of 15, Black
Price: CDN$ 17.99
5 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for very light garments, Oct. 11 2014
These hangers work well for extremely light things but aren't good for jackets and dresses with any weight to them. They are more for blouses, t-tops that you want to hang or light sweaters that you don't want to wrinkle. I would say that they are worth having in your closet but as secondary hangers to the more solid crossbar normal hanger that we all have. They are nice black thin velvet hangers and I use them along with other more standard thin black velvet hangers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3