Profile for Esme > Reviews

Content by Esme

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Esme (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
The Quick and Dirty Guide to Kondo Marie's "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" (No-Bullshit Executive Summary Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too glib for a summary, March 18 2015
I actually read the original book and was looking for a good executive summary. This isn't really that. The author is a bit of a smart aleck, cracking jokes and not really covering the content of the book with any seriousness. I would have saved my money. Don't recommend.

Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - a spiritual take on organizing, March 17 2015
This book is a breath of fresh air if you are at all interested in organizing your life and home, once and for all. I have read quite a few books on this topic and Marie Kondo does a brilliant job of simplifying the whole process. All I can say is read this book if you are interested in this topic. It is simple and motivating.

Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
Price: CDN$ 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars not that great, March 7 2015
I wasn't very impressed with this book. There are several reasons. First is that it feels a lot like a personal rant and doesn't cast a broad net, as this issue deserves. Second it starts out with the view that however you view God or a higher power is fine but by the second half it is very God-based and God-biased. In other words, the notion of a personal interpretation of a higher power has given way to a very conventional view of a personally-directed, benevolent God giving you signals every day. I have my own spirituality but these references left me cold. The third issue was that I didn't find a clear understanding of what codependence really is. This book uses alcoholism and codependence interchangeably and had me confused. I get that one person can have both but I felt the thinking on this point was fuzzy and unclear. Overall I wouldn't recommend.

The Spymistress: A Novel
The Spymistress: A Novel
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read overall, Oct. 20 2014
I enjoyed the story but found it a bit ponderous in the early parts of this book. It didn't really move along at a good pace until the middle. The detail is good however and it gave me a better appreciation for the civil war from the perspective of Richmond, Virginia and Elizabeth Van Lew.

Whitmor 6478-1622-15-BLK Spacemaker Hanger Collection Dress and Shirt Hangers, Set of 15, Black
Price: CDN$ 17.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for very light garments, Oct. 11 2014
These hangers work well for extremely light things but aren't good for jackets and dresses with any weight to them. They are more for blouses, t-tops that you want to hang or light sweaters that you don't want to wrinkle. I would say that they are worth having in your closet but as secondary hangers to the more solid crossbar normal hanger that we all have. They are nice black thin velvet hangers and I use them along with other more standard thin black velvet hangers.

Jokari 070434P1 Closet Mates Hanger Pocket Accessory Organizer
Jokari 070434P1 Closet Mates Hanger Pocket Accessory Organizer
Price: CDN$ 8.21
4 used & new from CDN$ 8.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Great innovative item, Oct. 11 2014
I loved the idea of this 'pouch' which you put over the hanger of a particular outfit and put all the necessary accessories inside. What a cool idea. I will use mine to put accessories of a good dress - pantyhose, jewelry, undergarments, even a note with what shoes and bag I like to wear with it. That way, you don't forget when you go to put on a particular dress or outfit. This is particularly good for fancy dresses which you wear infrequently but need to know how to put it all together. Love it! Will buy more.

Slim-Line Set of (20) Finger Clips (Black)
Slim-Line Set of (20) Finger Clips (Black)
2 used & new from CDN$ 28.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what hangers these clips were made to go with, Sept. 26 2014
I loved the idea of these clips but not that happy when I received them. They don't work with the new slim black hangers that I have. I'm not really sure what these clips would work with. Maybe the old wire hangers but who uses those anymore. When I attach the clip to the hanger, the clip opens a little, thereby making it unuseful as a clip. It doesn't apply any pressure when it is slightly open so won't hold anything. Sadly they are going back.

Regalo Extra WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate, White
Regalo Extra WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate, White
Price: CDN$ 65.68
7 used & new from CDN$ 59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gate for extra wide spaces, Sept. 26 2014
This gate performed extremely well at our cottage on a deck. The opening is wide and this fit perfectly with the included extensions. It is probably not meant for the outdoors but we have had it outside for two months with not much problem. There is a tiny bit of rust at the bottom but I'm so happy to have found something that would work in this space that I don't care about the rust. Will bring it inside for the winter and use it indoors. If a wide opening is your problem, this gate works very well. Good latch and easy to install. You may need two people to fit it into the space to ensure that the pressure mounts evenly on both sides.

Pacific Play Tents Find Me Multi Color 6-Feet Tunnel
Pacific Play Tents Find Me Multi Color 6-Feet Tunnel
Price: CDN$ 39.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Every child needs one of these - they are just universally fun for little people, Sept. 26 2014
This is truly great value for the money. Our one-year old grandson just loved it. Many hours of play and it folds down to a flat circle for storing afterwards. Perfect for the backyard and inside too. Love it.

Homeland: The Complete Third Season
Homeland: The Complete Third Season
DVD ~ Claire Danes
Price: CDN$ 24.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Still great, Sept. 26 2014
Excellent series. Enjoyed the third season as much as the others. They are picking up the pace and the story is very interesting. Looking forward to season 4 now.

Page: 1 | 2