Profile for Gilly Bean > Reviews

Content by Gilly Bean

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Gilly Bean

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sleepless
Sleepless
Price: CDN$ 6.92
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album, Oct. 2 2001
This review is from: Sleepless (Audio CD)
I really enjoy this album. The songs are all good, very good in fact, and Haydain Neale has a great voice, perfect for soul music. I could listen to this album all day and never get tired of it. Even the hit songs never seem to get annoying to me, from being overplayed, unlike a lot of songs on the radio. I recommend this album highly. Anyone who enjoys Seal will love Jacksoul. The booklet doesn't have the lyrics, but there is a website address advertised in the booklet that has them.

Sheik Yerbouti
Sheik Yerbouti
Price: CDN$ 23.90
13 used & new from CDN$ 9.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Nasty, Sept. 30 2001
This review is from: Sheik Yerbouti (Audio CD)
What can I say about this album? Geeze!! The lyrics and subject matter come straight from the cesspits of sleaze. They are not funny, I find no humour in them, and I am most certainly not a prude or anything. I just find the lyrics very offensive and disgusting.

V12 Verve Jazz Masters
V12 Verve Jazz Masters
Price: CDN$ 10.63
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Sept. 30 2001
This review is from: V12 Verve Jazz Masters (Audio CD)
A wonderful compilation of some of Billie's best from the years 1952 to 1956. She had a voice that was unique, that really defies the definition of 'a great voice'. She never used scatting, her vocal range was definately limited, and sometimes she sounded slurred and scratchy. She would sing beyond the melody and off the beat and would make it virtually impossible for anyone to sing along with her. But this was Billie. A dynamic and dramatic singer who poured tremendous feeling into her songs. There will never be another like her. This is a wonderful album for those people not too familiar with her singing. The booklet includes an interesting essay on her.

1968: Live At Winterland (Prev
1968: Live At Winterland (Prev
Price: CDN$ 25.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw and raucous, Sept. 26 2001
This is a truly remarkable album. Over 75 minutes of previously unreleased Janis with Big Brother and the Holding Company in a live concert at Winterland in 1968. It is a fantastic concert, full of raw energy and wonderful performances, not just from Janis but from the band too. I cannot understand how some people said that the band was amateurish. I think they are terrific and a perfect back up to Janis. The 24 page booklet that comes with this album is great in itself. Packed with never-before-seen pics, thoughts from some of todays top female rock stars, and informative essays, plus a reproduction of a letter that Janis sent to her mother just a few days before this concert was staged. This album is a must have for any fan of Janis Joplin.

Price: CDN$ 26.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars How a soprano sax should sound, Sept. 26 2001
This review is from: Ken Burns Jazzefinitive (Audio CD)
This was another great jazz artist that I didn't know much about prior to this Ken Burn's release. I never thought that I could love the sound of the soprano sax this much. Up until this album, whenever I thought of soprano sax, Kenny G and his mind numbing music would come to mind, and I would cringe. But, this album opened up a whole new world of music to me .. now THIS is how a soprano sax should sound. It is beautiful. Sidney Bechet is (or was) a true genius, the way he made the horn almost operatic in sound, with the wonderful throbbing vibratos. No wonder he was sometimes billed as "The Talking Saxophone". There is such depth and emotion in his playing. I highly recommend this album to all jazz fans. The booklet includes photos and an interesting essay.

Price: CDN$ 26.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars How a soprano sax should sound, Sept. 26 2001
This review is from: Ken Burns Jazzefinitive (Audio CD)

Price: CDN$ 12.67
30 used & new from CDN$ 3.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A good collection, but something's missing, Sept. 24 2001
I don't know why it is, but the album I have has slightly different track listings. My copy does not include "Giant Steps" .. it says in the booklet that it couldn't be included because of licensing restrictions, although it is on "The Best of Ken Burn's Jazz" as well as in the box set, so I am not all that bothered that it is not on here. Also "Bessie's Blues" is not on my album, but "Mr P.C" is. But apart from those discrepancies, whether there's 2 versions of the same album, I don't know .. but I do know that it is a great introduction to Coltrane. Of course, no one disc can do real justice to such a jazz giant, but I was kind of suprised that nothing from "Blue Train" was included here. That happens to be my favourite Coltrane album, and I think they could have substituted "Mr P.C" or "Naima" for one from "Blue Train", seeing as they are both from the same album. The booklet includes an essay on Coltrane as well as some photos.

Price: CDN$ 12.67
30 used & new from CDN$ 3.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A good collection, but something's missing, Sept. 24 2001

Jane Fonda Favorite Fat Bur
Jane Fonda Favorite Fat Bur
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great exercise program, Sept. 19 2001
This is one of the few exercise tapes that I keep coming back to, again and again. It combines the best low-impact exercises from 4 of her best workouts (pre-1993). It is hard to get bored with this video as it hops from one year to another, different tapes and different styles. It combines a warm up, low-impact aerobics and a relaxing stretch at the end. This is a 50 minute exercise that is suitable for beginners to intermediate. Also includes a 15 minute segment after the exercise program where Jane discusses the truths about diet and exercise, and offers her personal advice.

Ken Burns Jazz: Definitive
Ken Burns Jazz: Definitive
Price: CDN$ 29.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful big band music, Sept. 19 2001
I knew absolutely nothing about Fletcher Henderson before this album. In fact, the picture on the cover, had me thinking that he was a singer. Silly me! But, of course, now I know differently. And now, I cannot believe that I had never heard of him before .. unbelievable. This album is packed with wonderful music, including 2 vocals (not sung by Henderson though, of course). The sound is also not bad. There is no real noticeable hiss, unlike some others in the Ken Burns series. The booklet includes some photos and an interesting essay about Henderson. This album introduced me to a wonderful bandleader and his wonderful music, and it will not be my last Fletcher Henderson album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20