ARRAY(0xaddb0d5c)

Profile for Calinira > Reviews

Content by Calinira

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Calinira

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
by Virginia Lee Burton
Price: CDN$ 16.60
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved This Book!, July 8 2004
Like so many other reviewers I have fond memories of reading this book as a child. I fondly recall being a child in the 1970's and of having had this book read to me and when I got older and could read on my own I read it myself and I enjoyed the story of Mike Mulligan and his beloved steam shovel Mary Anne and recall this book having positive messages as well as being an entertaining book for children. Mike Mulligan is a steam shovel operator who has named his machine Mary Anne and they have worked very hard for many years digging canels, etc but times have changed and with steam shovels being replaced by electric, gasoline and diesel shovels Mary Anne is thought of as being obsolete but Mike is a very positive and determined man who knows that he and Mary Anne still have what it takes and to prove that he agrees to dig the foundation for a new building but has to do it in one day but he knows that they are up for the challenge. Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel is a wonderful book for children and I think it's good for both boys and girls and I very highly recommend it.

Curious George
Curious George
by H. A. Rey
Price: CDN$ 15.87
78 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorite Books When I Was A Child!, July 8 2004
This review is from: Curious George (Hardcover)
When I was a child in the 1970's I loved The Curious George books by H.A. Rey and this is the very first book in the series and it is a very entertaining book about an adorable monkey named George who's curiosity gets him into all sorts of adventures and trouble. I checked this book out all the time from the public library and from the bookmobile that used to come to my school and I was very happy when I was finaly given my own copy to keep and I very highly recommend this cute book and all the rest of the books in The Curious George series!

Munsters: TV Pilots 4 [Import]
Munsters: TV Pilots 4 [Import]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Coming Out on DVD!, July 4 2004
This is just an update to my old review from January 17, 2004 in which I said I wanted The Munsters to get on DVD in complete season boxsets, well there is good news for Munster fans because The complete first season is coming out on DVD on August 24, 2004 and from what I have read there are 38 episodes and the pilot which never aired on TV. I'm looking forward to August 24th and can't wait til the Munsters DVD set is finally released!

The Little House Set
The Little House Set
by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Price: CDN$ 49.62
33 used & new from CDN$ 45.06

5.0 out of 5 stars A Childhood Favorite of Mine Too!, July 3 2004
This review is from: The Little House Set (Paperback)
When I was a little girl in the 1970's I was a big fan of the Little House on The Prairie TV show and I was very happy when one Christmas, probably either 1974 or 1975 I received a boxset of the Little House book series by Laura Ingalls Wilder and I loved the books. I still have my books but no longer have the box they came in and the books have gotten a lot of wear and tear from many people reading them such as myself and with them being borrowed many times over the years by friends, cousins, my niece, etc but that just proves how well loved these books are. The set has 9 books which are all outstanding and are the true life stories and adventures of the real Ingalls family and written by Laura who wrote about her family, what life was like back in the mid to late 1800's etc and the books are Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, On The Banks of Plum Creek, By The Shores of Silver Lake, The Long Winter, Little Town on the Prairie, These Happy Golden Years which introduces Laura Ingall's husband to be, Almanzo Wilder, The First Four Years which details Laura and Almanzo's married life and their daughter Rose plus there is also Farmer boy. Most of the books detail The Ingall's family from their life in their homestate of Wisconsin to their journeys to Kansas, Oklahoma, Minnesota and finally The Dakota Territory which is where Laura met Almanzo but there is also the book Farmer Boy which Laura wrote about Almanzo's account of his childhood on a farm in New York state. These books are great and I highly recommend them to people of all ages, but I especially recommend buying the boxset!

How to Eat Fried Worms
How to Eat Fried Worms
by Thomas Rockwell
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining and Amusing Book!, July 3 2004
This review is from: How to Eat Fried Worms (Paperback)
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell is a very entertaining book! I read it sometime in the 80's when I was a teen and I thought it was a good book and very amusing. It is about a boy named Billy who when hanging out with his friends winds up making a bet that he will eat 15 worms. I know it sounds like a gross story and probably sounds a little lame but this book is actually pretty good and boys and even some girls ages 8 and older should find this book entertaining and amusing and I highly recommend it.

Pinballs
Pinballs
by Byars
Price: CDN$ 6.89
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Good Book!, July 3 2004
This review is from: Pinballs (Paperback)
I didn't read The Pinballs when I was a kid but I do remember watching the movie on TV sometime in the 70's and I believe it was shown on TV as one of those ABC after school specials and from what I remember the movie was very good. I did manage to read the book a couple of years ago when I read my nephew's book and I must say that I really liked it and felt bad for Carlie, Harvey and Thomas J for all the rough times they went through and as I recall Carlie had an abusive step-father and Harvey had the alcoholic father who hit him with the car and broke his legs and Thomas J had no family except two little old ladies who were too old to take care of him any longer and they wound up in nursing homes so Carlie, Harvey and Thomas J wind up in a foster home together and form a bond. This is a really good book and I highly recommend it to anyone ages 10 and up.

Poseidon Adventure (Widescreen)
Poseidon Adventure (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Gene Hackman
Offered by Tons of Clay Music
Price: CDN$ 19.99
21 used & new from CDN$ 3.26

4.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Disaster Movie!, July 2 2004
I have written a review of The Poseidon Adventure before but that was before I got the DVD and in that review I basically was reviewing the movie so I thought I would write a new review. I received the DVD for Christmas and just watched it a little while ago and though I do think that they should release a new special Edition DVD with anamorphic widescreen and more extra features I'm pleased with this letterbox widescreen for now but will definitely think of getting a special Edition DVD if one is ever released. I enjoyed watching this movie and I think this is the best disaster movie I have ever seen and the whole cast is great. Gene Hackman (The French Connection), Ernest Borgnine (The Dirty Dozen), Shelley Winters (Night of the Hunter), Stella Stevens (Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows), Jack Albertson (Chico and the Man), Pamela Sue Martin (Dynasty), etc. If you are looking for great extra features on this DVD you will find that this is a bare bones DVD and the features are rather sparse and are only the trailer and a couple of short biographies and filmographies of only a couple of the actors from the cast and I hope that if a new DVD is released that it will have more special features that will include a biography and filmography of the whole cast and also cast interviews, deleted scenes and all of the usual extras. Well anyway until a better DVD comes along I'm actually content with this one.

How Stella Got Her Groove Back
How Stella Got Her Groove Back
by Terry Mcmillan
Edition: Audio Cassette
12 used & new from CDN$ 1.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Summer Story To Sit and Relax To!, July 1 2004
I didn't read the book but I just listened to an audiobook recording of Terry McMillan's, How Stella Got Her Groove Back which was read by the author and I liked it and found it very entertaining and relaxing and I found myself wishing I was in Jamaica sitting by the pool or on a beach drinking a Pina Colada and I recommend How Stella Got Her Groove Back which I think is a great summer read or in my case a great summer listen and I recommend either the book or the audio recording and I think it would be great to read or listen to How Stella Got Her Groove Back while sitting on a beach or by a pool. The audiobook is abridged and I wish that there was an unabridged recording and I might even buy the paperback book and I also plan on renting the movie which I haven't seen yet, well anyway this audiobook is a keeper for sure! In this book Stella Payne is a 42 year old divorced hardworking sucessful career woman and loving dedicated mother to 11 year old Quincy and when Quincy goes to spend time with his father and Stella has time by herself she realizes that she is not as happy with her job as she thought and she is in a rut she decides she needs to get her groove back and goes off to Jamaica where she meets a handsome younger man named Winston (He is about 21 years old) and they immediately hit it off but Stella is feeling insecure about their age difference and Winston thinks she is being silly and that it is no big deal. I rate this audiobook a 5 because it was just a fun summer story to sit and relax to.

Classic Cooking With Coca-Cola
Classic Cooking With Coca-Cola
by Elizabeth Candler Graham
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book For People Who Like Coca-Cola!, June 29 2004
Well Coke happens to be my favorite soda and when I saw this book called Classic Cooking with Coca-Cola I just had to buy it and it is a very interesting book and has recipes using Coke, Sprite, Fresca, etc and I highly recommend this book to fans of The Coca-Cola company and their beverages!

Best Recipes of the Great Food Companies
Best Recipes of the Great Food Companies
by Judith Anderson
42 used & new from CDN$ 2.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Recipes from Some of the Major Food Companies!, June 29 2004
I have the cookbook Best Recipes From the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars by Ceil Dyer and that is a good cookbook but I also have Best Recipes of the Great Food Companies by Judith Anderson and it is also a good cookbook. I like gourmet meals but I also like the every day more basic type recipes in this book and as it contains recipes from some of the big food companies that can be found on their jars, boxes, cans, etc, and sometimes even in magazines these recipes are pretty easy and the book has good recipes from food companies like Campbells, Sargento, Pepperidge Farm, Nabisco, Bisquick, Kellog, Lipton, etc and I recommend this cookbook!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20