Profile for Nirco > Reviews

Content by Nirco

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Nirco "nirco" (NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Lord Vishnu's Love Handles: A Spy Novel (Sort Of)
Lord Vishnu's Love Handles: A Spy Novel (Sort Of)
by Will Clarke
6 used & new from CDN$ 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, April 27 2003
I bought this book while surfing amazon one day, and found it hard to believe that every one of its ratings was 5 stars. Then I read it in just a matter of days and here I am giving it one more 5 star rating. An incredible book that's addicting and hard to put down. Great twists and turns. At some points I thought to myself "That was weird... Where can he be going from here?" but found myself amazed when it all lead up to another surprise or wonderful plot point. A book filled with great quotes and one liners, hilarious and moving, upsetting and full of action. Travis Anderson, the main character... I don't know if I hate him or love him, but his story is a great one. If you like Palahniuk... Actually, it doesn't matter what you like. I don't know a person that wouldn't be intriuged by this book, and I'm already halfway done with telling everybody I know about it.

Pale Fire
Pale Fire
by Vladimir Nabokov
Price: CDN$ 13.68
35 used & new from CDN$ 6.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Nabokov's Brilliant Followup, March 11 2003
This review is from: Pale Fire (Paperback)
I'll start off by saying staightout that this book is not for everyone, and if it is your type of book, it should not be your first by Nabokov. The man is a literary genius, and anybody that reads his quick descriptions, vast vocabulary, and poetic phrases cannot deny that. This novel- for I am sure that most of you know the plot already- is not a novel at all, and as much as you may try to read it as one, the plot actually comes between the lines. By the end of the book, nothing is clear, nothing is explained by the author, and yet we understand the truth perfectly.
The themes behind this story are plentiful, and thought-provoking. There is something else that I wish to address: The satirical look at all readers of literature and poetry, especially those that attempt to analyze these works extensively. A look at insanity and betrayal and in the end, even some kind of love, if not between a man and a woman, than between a man and ______ (many things).
The characters are great, especially Kinbote who we are convinced is as close a friend to you and I as he was to John Shade himself. I feel that Nabokov has a way of making his readership feel the worst emotion, pity. Kinbote seems to resemble Humbert Humbert of Lolita (also amazing), a man that is [sorry] in nature and worth pitying, but is by no means a Good man.
One of the few books that ever made me read lines over and over and over again with other passages that either made me laugh again and again or say to myself, "What a twisted psycho," about a character that will remain nameless.
Buy it, read it, love it. You will read it again. I know I will.

Automatic for the People
Automatic for the People
Price: CDN$ 9.94
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Album ever released, Feb. 25 2003
REM is one of my favorite bands, and yet so seldom has anybody created a CD where every single track is utterly... perfect. I will not go through every song and repeat the same adjectives over and over. With REM, there are not enough words to go around. Nightswimming was once my favorite song on the album, it is so beautiful and addicting. Stipe's voice are enchanting. Yet I listened to the CD again and realized some forgotten classics. Man on the Moon, although (after Everybody hurts) is very common, one has to see behind the movie and the lyrics and realize the actual beauty of the song. It's as though the band put so much thought into each and every note. Some people say Michaelangelo breathed life into David. I say REM breathed life into this album. Monty, Try not to breathe, sidewinder, all incredible. My favorite song on the album still has to be Find the River though. I remember the first time I heard it. I just kept playing it over and over until I had to leave and do something. I am convinced that this is the best album ever put out, I have yet to find one that surpasses it. Don't get me wrong, I have many other favorites, but not a one speaks like Automatic for the People. It is for everybody. REM does not claim a category of music and appeal to the fans of that one category. It creates its own type, its own appeal.

Rockin The Suburbs
Rockin The Suburbs
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 31.80
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, Jan. 10 2003
This review is from: Rockin The Suburbs (Audio CD)
Excellent CD, one of the best. I would give it a 10 if I could. I've seen Ben Folds in concert and am convinced that he is the best Pianist of modern music. This CD shows why he is so great. I would award no song on this album less that an 8.
Annie Waits - 10/10 - Terrific. Tie for number 1 on the album.
Zak and Sara - 9/10 - So much fun. Even better live.
Still Fighting It - 8/10 - Wonderful.
Gone - 8/10 - Upbeat, terrific. A bit different from the rest, which makes it great.
Fred Jones Part 2 - 9/10 - Sad... Amazing.
Ascent of Stan - 9/10 - Amazing piano. Excellent song. Reminds me of Narcolepsy (Ben Folds Five)
Losing Lisa - 9/10 - Just plain great. The epitomy of Ben Folds music.
Carrying Cathy - 8/10 - Wonderful.
Not the Same - 10/10 - Extraordinary. Terrific. Number 1 with Annie Waits. Just plain beautiful.
Rockin' the Suburbs - 9.5/10 - Only not a 10 because it can't be number 1 compared to the other two, but very very close.
Fired - 9.5/10 - Why must numbers be so harsh?
The Luckiest - 8/10 - Terrific Ending.
Buy this album. One of the few albums along with REM's Automatic for the People and Billy Joel's The Stranger where every single track is close to perfection.

The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition
The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
93 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, long, bothersome - Average Stephen King, Jan. 1 2003
I read the Stand a while ago, and only recently came across it again on Amazon, which is where this review comes in. I used to be an avid Stephen King fan. He is truly a man with great ideas. Among my favorites were Misery, Pet Semetary, Desperation, and Hearts in Atlantis. The problem is, for these four great novels, there were the fifteen other ones that I read.
Now that I think about it, Stephen King has a style that he always follows: A great story, a great start, great characters. Then... A good buildup, long descriptions that seem useless after a while, bothersome plot points that do not belong, and eventually an ending that is almost always disappointing. The Stand has a great idea, amazingly written characters, and a terrific kickoff. The problem is, somewhere in those 1200 pages, I just stopped caring, and around page 800, it hit me: this is the ultimate Stephen King book. It contains everything that he always writes about and every characteristic that makes him him. I suppose if you like those useless plot points and those bothersome drag-ons, this is a terrific book. I guess that my real problem is with the ending. The Stand, on Amazon, on the outside, and within its own pages, was built up to be an amazing epic. And it seems to me that it has no ending. I mean, clearly, it ends, but not in a way that remains true to the book, and not in a way that leaves you satisfied. I won't tell you not to read this book. It's enjoyable. But I give it a rating of three because compared to what it has been given, it doesn't even come close.
You want an epic? Read Steinbeck's East of Eden, read Don Quixote, read anything by Dickens. You want End of the World or Future Dystopia? Read Burgess. You want amazing language. Read Nabokov.
I hate to say it, because I disappoint the person I was only a year ago, but I regret wasting money on mediocre books of his when I could have bought ones that were outstanding.

The Godfather DVD Collection (5 Discs)
The Godfather DVD Collection (5 Discs)
DVD ~ Marlon Brando
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 69.43
23 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Movies Ever Made, Dec 24 2002
How can I possibly summarize the Godfather movies in one review? I don't think it's possible. I have seen the first two parts so many times that I'm still waiting for the point at which I can't watch them anymore, but I don't think I'll ever get there. With each new viewing, you pick up on something new, an allusion, a line, an action.
If you've seen the Godfather movies, and appreciate good movies for what they are, I doubt you will refuse buying this DVD set. I would pay the full price just for the second Godfather alone.
But I am going to assume here that you haven't seen the Godfather movies and explain to you why you should. I don't believe that any movie has ever gotten as much hype as the Godfather movies have, and I still believe that it is underrated. Too many people have not seen this movie. But with its flawless acting (Brando, Cazale, Caan, Duvall, Shire, and the best of them all, Pacino), a perfect script, memorable characters (the Corleones, Clamenza, Roth, Solozzo, Mancini), a great great score, and one of the best directors of all time (Coppola), I have to pity them.
Buy this. The greatest movies ever made EVER! The three of them add up to about nine hours of pure Godfather. I wish they were longer.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, But Were Afraid to Ask (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Woody Allen
Offered by torontomediadvd_com
Price: CDN$ 54.88
10 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Woody Allen Movie, Dec 1 2002
This is the funniest Woody movie, hands down. With seven stand alone skits each answering a question, my personal favorite happening to be "Why do women...?" It's a movie to watch over and over again. A movie with perversions, gigantic body parts, and sheep. If you like Woody or if you hate Woody, this movie is for you.

Mother Night: A Novel
Mother Night: A Novel
by Kurt Vonnegut
Price: CDN$ 13.72
40 used & new from CDN$ 4.69

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books Ever Written, April 17 2002
This review is from: Mother Night: A Novel (Paperback)
Vonnegut is a genius, and whether you are a fan of his or not, you will love this book. The introduction is perfect, as Vonnegut tells us the moral of the story before we even get started. "You are what you pretend to be, so you better be careful about what you pretend to be." The novel follows Howard W. Campbell, an American living in Germany, recruited by the governement to spy on the Nazis by propaganding for their war. Campbell is now about to be put on trial for his war crimes.
Like I said, Vonnegut is a genius, and Howard Campbell is one of the most complex and amazing characters ever created, even though this book is short of 300 pages. At some points in the book, you think he's a smart man that you respect and feel sorry for, while at other times you want to just punch him in the face. This is not a war novel. It is a book written as though Howard Campbell was talking directly to you, which is what makes it such a fascinating read. If you like any Vonnegut, or are a fan of satires like Catch-22, or you enjoy books relating to the subject of war or the human spirit, this book is perfect for you. It is honestly one of the best books I have ever read. I can only hope the same for you.

A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange
by Anthony Burgess
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Book of the Twentieth Century, Feb. 3 2002
This review is from: A Clockwork Orange (Paperback)
You've scrolled down to the reviews, so I'm sure that by now you've read the plot. And I'm sure that by now, you've seen at least fifty other people tell you that this book was good but the language was difficult. Let me tell you what these people are really saying: This book is amazing. The plot is amazing. The themes and ideas behind it are amazing. Alex, Your Humble Narrator, is amazing. And this is one real horrorshow of a book. I read it in three days, and not once during that three day period did I ever Want to put the book down and stop reading. I was never bored or not interested.
As for the language. This book takes place in the future, where rebellious teenagers (nasdats) have taught themself a language called (and what a surprise) Nasdat. It's a mix of English and Russian (mostly English that we would understand). Sure, in the beginning, it is hard to understand, but by ten pages in, you understand the basics of it. Every word that you haven't seen before can be understood in the syntax with which it is used. For example, one of my favorite lines from the book: "Then I leaned across Georgie, who was between me and the horrible Dim, and fisted Dim skorry on the rot. Dim looked very surprised, his rot open, wiping the krovvy off of his goober with his rook and in turn looking surprised at the red flowing krovvy and at me." Think about it, read over it. Tell me you don't understand it.
If you're a person that likes to read and appreciates a good book for what it is, read this novel. It is truly extrodinary. When you're finished, if you haven't already, see the Kubrick adaptation, one of the greatest movies ever made.
One more thing: A lot of people have complained about the excessive violence in this book. Sure, it's a bit graphic, but there are two things that should put you to ease: 1) Assuming that the language is as confusing as it is made out to be, you won't be able to understand half of the graphic images. 2) This is not a book that uses excessive violence aimlessly in the hopes that it will attract those gore-loving readers. Every centimeter of violence in this masterpiece is needed to further the story, and believe me, it does.

Misery
Misery
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
111 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Average King, Oct. 14 2001
This review is from: Misery (Mass Market Paperback)
King is the king... of his own creations. I will not deny that this is a good book, with good development. It is better than most of what this man has written, in that it actually holds the interest of the reader for the most part. If you enjoy King's writing, this is a great book to read. If you are alone and want a "freaky" thriller, this is a great read also. I wouldn't recommend it to somebody trying to find a truly amazing novel. King's ideas flow, but his plots, characters, and words do not. Enjoyable

Page: 1 | 2