Profile for Barb > Reviews

Content by Barb

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Barb

Orei HD-102 1x2 1 Port HDMI Powered Splitter Ver 1.3 Certified for Full HD 1080P and 3D Support One Input to Two Outputs (Black)
Offered by BElectronics CA
Price: CDN$ 25.00
4 used & new from CDN$ 20.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd found about this sooner, Nov. 8 2014
Bought this to share my Bell TV satellite signal between my LR & kitchen TVs. My previous setup was HDMI to the main tv & coax running from the Bell receiver to the kitchen TV which always produced a crappy picture plus a delay in sound/picture in the kitchen. Replaced 40' of coax with HDMI ($$$ - the cost of this splitter is the least of it). Finally no audio/video lag - used to sound like an echo chamber when both tvs were on. Both tvs have excellent audio/video quality - absolutely no degradation on either.

COD(TM) Screen Protector Film Matte Clear (Anti-Glare Anti-Fingerprint) for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 T3100 (3-pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Application, Jan. 30 2014
I applied this to my Samsung Tab without a problem. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to apply. The few tiny bubbles were easily smoothed out with my finger. The matte finish doesn't darken the screen, unlike a similar product (not COD) I had used on another tablet. You'll still get some glare from lighting, but it does the job as advertised. I'm satisfied and would buy again.

ACE Protective Leather Case Stand Case For Acer Iconia Tab A100 Tablet PC
ACE Protective Leather Case Stand Case For Acer Iconia Tab A100 Tablet PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit, Oct. 30 2012
Just as the previous reviewer stated, this cover is a perfect fit. I use my tablet primarily as an e-reader and this cover makes it much more comfortable to hold for extended periods.

GreatShield Ultra Anti-Glare (Matte) Clear Screen Protector Film for Acer Iconia Tab A100 7-Inch Tablet (3 Pack)
Offered by theWireless Company
Price: CDN$ 8.41
3 used & new from CDN$ 8.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for your tablet, Oct. 21 2012
Like other reviewers, I found the glare annoying, not to mention continually having to wipe the screen of fingerprints. This is a perfect fit, was surprisingly easy to apply and absolutely no bubbles. However, the little card supplied as a squeegee is inadequate; you probably won't get more than one application from it. I'd suggest using an old credit card instead.

I now have a screen that mimics perfectly the matte screen of a dedicated e-reader with the bonus of not having to constantly clean fingerprints.

Breville 2-Slice Die-Cast Smart Toaster BTA820XL
Breville 2-Slice Die-Cast Smart Toaster BTA820XL
Price: CDN$ 132.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 117.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job with home-made bread, Jan. 3 2012
I bought this toaster when it was on sale during Boxing Week. Even on sale, I hesitated at paying that much for a toaster when I could have bought one for 1/3 the price. After using my Breville for a week, I'm glad I took the plunge.

I bought the Breville based on the mostly positive reviews here and on amazon.com. It does my toast to perfection - 12-grain bread done on the maximum setting turns out perfectly toasted both sides every time, nice & crunchy, without the stripes from the elements. I was surprised - no flipping required. If I have one quibble, it's that the slots could be slightly longer to accommodate larger slices. It appears to be sized towards commercial bread slices (which are getting smaller all the time) so either I start making smaller loaves, or clip the ends off the slices.

I've never had a toaster that would toast my bread-machine bread properly. My previous toaster was hit & miss. My toaster oven sort of does the job but it's slooooow and involves flipping the toast over to get both sides evenly toasted and even then, it's not really "toasted". Toasters all seem to have a problem with home-made bread - it's more dense and moist than the commercial product, more thickly sliced and takes longer to toast evenly. Every toaster I've had required the maximum setting. So far, the Breville seems up to the job.

Joel Harper's Firming After 50
Joel Harper's Firming After 50
DVD ~ Dr. Mehmet Oz
Price: CDN$ 9.99
28 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars OK the first few times, then narration gets annoying, Sept. 29 2011
It's OK the first few times but once you're familiar with the program, it's annoying to have to pause and listen to Joel's comments on proper position/method, etc. There's too much explanation and pausing before moving on to the next set. There should be two versions on the DVD - a "learner" version which you follow until you're familiar with the exercises, then the program itself with few pauses. Wish I could turn Dr. Roizen off as well - his comments become obnoxious after you hear them every time you exercise.

As one gets older, one's strength and balance decline so this is an excellent program to follow. None of the exercises is difficult but try doing them while balancing on one foot! Do this program on a regular basis and you'll improve your balance and posture. I know my balance has improved significantly.

Overall, I like the three programs (upper body, lower body & core).

PNY MD1024SD1-333 Optima 1GB DDR 333 MHz PC2700 Desktop DIMM Memory Module
PNY MD1024SD1-333 Optima 1GB DDR 333 MHz PC2700 Desktop DIMM Memory Module
Offered by NEMIX TECH
Price: CDN$ 15.84
6 used & new from CDN$ 15.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked like a charm, Aug. 23 2011
I upgraded my 7-year old Acer Aspire 1710 laptop from 1 to 2GB RAM. Although it's a laptop, it takes desktop RAM configuration. These were a bargain at less than half the price of anything comparable you'll find online. They were a cinch to install for someone who's phobic about poking around in their computer's innards. Increasing the RAM has boosted my startup time noticeably.

Magellan Roadmate 1470 4.7-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator
Magellan Roadmate 1470 4.7-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator
Offered by dealkings
Price: CDN$ 221.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Magellan Warranty Warning, Oct. 9 2010
I bought the 1470 in May of this year. I was initially very pleased with it and it worked well until I tried to update the software to v.3.3. My device seized completely and was unusable. Be aware that if your unit fails under warranty, you'll have to send it, at your expense, to Magellan's Canadian rep in Guelph. They'll send you a refurbished (ie, OLD) unit as a replacement. In my case, the replacement unit doesn't work. For this kind of service I paid almost $170 + tax + Xpress Post? What the **ll kind of warranty is that? I could go to XS Cargo and buy a refurbed unit for a lot less $$. I bought a new unit, at new unit price, not a refurb.

If you never have any issues updating the maps/software, it does the job adequately, just hope it never fails. Oh, and if it does, you'll lose all your addresses unless you stored them on a SD card.

Update on Magellan Warranty/Replacement issue:

After emailing Magellan with my complaint(no reply), I phoned their Technical Support and was transferred to the Resolution Dept. They're sending me a NEW 1475, but I still have to pay to ship the old unit back. They don't supply shipping labels in Canada. So my original 1470 has now cost me approximately $30 more than the original sale price, plus tax of course. To compensate for the shipping costs, Magellan's giving me a travel case for the new unit.

By the way, according to the packing slip, the value of the refurbed unit is $65 !!! That's right, $65. That's some depreciation.