Profile for A1teacher > Reviews

Content by A1teacher

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

A1teacher

The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost Map...hopeful, April 18 2014
I found this book to be most interesting. I learned a great deal about the development of safe cities. I am amazed at how, only 160 years ago, the London sewers were built to solve the problem of clean drinking water in an urban centre...certainly one of the great achievements of the 19th century. I worry not that with our dwindling resources and the lack of support for science we will not be able to punter the threats that plague us.

The Hare with Amber Eyes (Illustrated Edition): A Hidden Inheritance
The Hare with Amber Eyes (Illustrated Edition): A Hidden Inheritance
Offered by Macmillan CA
Price: CDN$ 18.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rare Find, March 14 2014
I am impressed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though at the beginning I was wondering if I would even get through it. De Waal is an expert writer with the ability to describe scenes vividly. I found the descriptions of Nazi Germany and the treatment of the Jews just terrifying. I learned so much about this treatment and what happened to the possessions confiscated from the Jews. As we move to more acceptance in our daily lives, many more people need to read this account and learn from it.

Justified: The Complete First Season (Sous-titres français)
Justified: The Complete First Season (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Timothy Olyphant
Price: CDN$ 19.97
37 used & new from CDN$ 11.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Justified...great, March 2 2012
This series was a real treat to find. The 'good' guy has major flaws, in addition to being super cute, and the bad guys are interesting and believable. The writing is superb. Combine all this with a setting, often in backwoods Kentucky, and it makes for a fantastic series to which one gets committed. The music is an added benefit.