Profile for Barry S. Sharpnack > Reviews

Content by Barry S. Sharpnack

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Barry S. Sharpnack (Santa Barbara, CA)

Vapor Trails
Vapor Trails
Price: CDN$ 9.35
37 used & new from CDN$ 2.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as their others, March 13 2003
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Audio CD)
I HATE to give Rush only 3 stars, because they are and always will be one of my favorite bands. Their typical musicianship and lyrics are polished, thought provoking, intelligent, and original. But this album misses the mark by a bit. I agree with other reviewers that Alex Lifeson really shines here,, his guitars really sound powerful. But the tone and overall sound of the songs are not as good as in prior albums. No really memorable tunes in here for me. I still listen to this CD because I love Rush, but I hope they get back to their original sound soon (before they break up or retire)

Colored Gemstones: The Antoinette Matlins Buying Guide: How Select, Buy, Care for & Enjoy Sapphires, Emeralds, Rubies and Other Colored Gems with Conf
by Antoinette Leonard Matlins
26 used & new from CDN$ 2.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, some parts too abbreviated, Oct. 20 2002
This overall is a great book, but gets 4 of 5 stars simply because the useful, practical info is too interspersed with "mythological" information about colored gems. I really do not care which gems may have been belived to cure illnesses--- I just want to know how to identify them. The exerpts in the book that launch into mythological descriptions would better serve the reading public if they were replaced by more anecdotes and examples of dyeing, heating, and falsefying colored gems. Her book does have some of these anecdotal examples, and they are useful as well as entertaining. Overall, a good informative read. Just a bit too much non-useful information. Also, more of those beautiful pictures would have been nice.

Promised Land
Promised Land
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 32.95
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Only better and better, June 29 2000
This review is from: Promised Land (Audio CD)
the unique quality to this album is not the comparison/contrast that can be made to/with their other albums, but the inherrent improvement of this particular album that grows over time. I initially was not altogether impressed (although "I am I" was always a standout). So I found myself listening to it less and less, much less than I listened to OMindcrime or Empire. I left it alone for a while, then found myself REALLY needing to listen to it after a few months. After a year of not hearing it, I tried to buy it, could not find it in stores. I was going crazy! Now that I finally got it, I appreciate it much more than I did before. This is the effect Q.Ryche has on me.

V2 Goes Classic: Live (Frn)
V2 Goes Classic: Live (Frn)
Offered by bestcdheadcanada
Price: CDN$ 12.76
14 used & new from CDN$ 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars The best male vocalist on the planet, bar none., June 23 2000
What an incredible voice! Move over, Pavarotti! He brings an incredible interest in this genre of music, and most people who shun classical music will love this guy! A very easy CD to listen to, and a voice like Helmut's I think can only be matched by other contemporary opera singers, such as Michael Crawford. Helmut is fantastic!