Profile for Dae C. > Reviews

Content by Dae C.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dae C. (Woodside, NY United States)

Quick Start: Reason 2
Quick Start: Reason 2
by Anderton
10 used & new from CDN$ 10.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your Money, Aug. 5 2003
This review is from: Quick Start: Reason 2 (Paperback)
Save your money buy the "Users' Guide to Propellerhead Reason 2" by Derek Johnson and Debbie Poyser. Even if you know nothing this book will get you going on the road a lot better than this waste of money (sorry still a little bitter).
I didn't know much about Reason, but I knew more than this book. This book is too basic even for the most green of neophytes.
Believe me.

Users' Guide to Propellerhead Reason 2
Users' Guide to Propellerhead Reason 2
by Debbie Poyser
18 used & new from CDN$ 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money I've spent this year., Aug. 5 2003
I, like many, bought Reason 2.0 as soon it came out, and immediately loaded it into my Mac. I've had only modest success creating decent sounding loops.
It's been 2 weeks since I finished this book, and I am in the process of completing my first track.
This book is amazing. The manuals tell you what each piece of gear does, but this book explains how to use them. And through the examples, it also gives glimpses into its infinite potential.
By all means avoid the Quick Start to Reason 2, save your money for this one.
My experience with this book has me so pumped. I'm in the process of purchasing Cubase SX so that I can continue self schooling.
No doubt, both novices and seasoned vets will benefit.
Enjoy.

Tao Te Ching Personal
Tao Te Ching Personal
by S Mitchell
Price: CDN$ 13.36
30 used & new from CDN$ 4.59

5.0 out of 5 stars It really depends on a what your looking for., Sept. 12 2002
This review is from: Tao Te Ching Personal (Paperback)
Having spent my youth in Korea; being both Korean and Chinese with a twist of Japanese (Dad was born there and spent his childhood there); and having spent most of my life in America, I've enjoyed and found this translation of the Tao Te Ching to be enlightening.
I've read other translations of the Tao (Dao). Even with my connections to the East, I've found reading other translations to be extremely difficult--they were all too literal. Stephen Mitchell has captured the essence of the Tao allowing the reader to get a broad, general understanding.
I think that this is a great intro to the Tao. Once reading this translation, move on to more literal translations. The problem with the more literal translations that I've found is that some of the analogies, metaphors, and specific Chinese references (ancient and modern) make it all too unapproachable.
I find it amazing that some occidental reviewers were able to attain such a clear grasp of the more literal translations where I could not (not only am I Asian-American, I have a very strong background in philosophy). Maybe the Tao has truly blessed these individuals with a deeper insight, or maybe they're just pretentious poseurs.
If you've never read the Tao, please start with this one. Once having a foundation, consider moving on to a more literal translation. I can clearly state that even though this may not be a direct translation, this is good stuff, and there's nothing in here that will lead your spiritual quest astray.
It is said, "The Tao te Ching is a book you can read in an hour or a lifetime."
Here's a little handy hint for the game of life folks:
"Start with the good, and then seek the better. Seeking instant perfection will only lead you to frustration."
Keep seeking, Seekers.