Profile for K. A. Stevenson > Reviews

Content by K. A. Stevenson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

K. A. Stevenson "WIAPilot" (Tucson)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Dave Scott's Triathlon Training
Dave Scott's Triathlon Training
by William L. Scott
Price: CDN$ 21.32
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Scott's Book has it ALL...., July 14 2004
When I first decided to start training for the Half-Ironman, I browsed through Amazon and ordered about 10 different books. This is absolutely one of my favorites.
Dave Scott has won 6 Ironman World Championships since winning one of the earliest Ironmans in 1980. Yet surprisingly, he is quite gracious about his wins.
"Triathlon Training" has individual chapters on swimming, cycling, and running techniques uniquely suited for the triathlete. It offers a year-round training program and workout schedules for 3, 4, 5, and 6-day training weeks with the most effective intensity, speed, and duration for each workout.
It covers nutrition and specific tips to get ready mentally for the race, preparing for transitions, and pacing yourself throughout the race.
Frankly, my goal is simply to finish the race. Regardless of my time, Dave Scott's techniques have already helped to prepare me for Hawaii. His attitude and motivation helps prepare you for Life 101 as well.

Killer Smile
Killer Smile
by Lisa Scottoline
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Father Would Be Proud...., July 13 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Killer Smile (Hardcover)
Lisa Scottoline's "Killer Smile" is more than just a suspenseful and engaging mystery with great characterization and plot. It is historically enlightening as we are reminded of the internment camp relocation of over 10,000 Italian-Americans during the outbreak of World War II. But first and foremost- "Killer Smile" is a fantastic mystery.
Scottoline's story is compelling and sincere. What is even more touching is that Lisa draws from her own paternal grandparent's experiences for this novel. Her father would have been so proud of this book by his daughter.
"Killer Smile" is more than historically engaging, however. It is a mystery that has you turning pages quickly because it is so gripping and suspenseful.
I especially loved the thoughts of Mary throughout the book in regard to her feelings toward her family and friends. Some were particularly hilarious and Scottoline is quickly turning into one of my favorite authors.

Judas Virus
Judas Virus
by David Best
Price: CDN$ 9.99
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner...., July 9 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Judas Virus (Mass Market Paperback)
I rarely read "medical mysteries," but "The Judas Virus" held me from the first page. It is an exceptional book, which focuses primarily on the emotional rescue of a young female physician.
The book centers around the problems which ensue when a pig liver is transferred into the body of her recently sobered, alcoholic father who hasn't been in her life for over 25 years.
It is a story of redemption and it is a story of growth.
The suspense is brilliant and the book is excellent.

Ten Big Ones: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Ten Big Ones: A Stephanie Plum Novel
by Janet Evanovich
106 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cliff Hanger..., July 5 2004
I love the Stephanie Plum series and was rather worried when I read some of the reviews. I think that the ONLY problem was that the ending left us wanting more. Because of this- this may not be Evanovich's best book in the series, but it is STILL a REALLY, GREAT book. It is SO much better than most of the stuff that is written.
And I agree with a reviewer...there DEFINITELY needs to be A MOVIE OR PERHAPS A TELEVISION SERIES starring Stephanie. Think back to how popular "Moonlighting" was with Bruce Willis. The chemistry between Maddy and him kept it at the top for YEARS. Can you imagine what the chemistry would be like having Ranger AND Morelli?
The next book definitely needs to be longer and come out sooner though!
I often think that when you have a writer with a great series like Evanovich, that readers get so impatient for another book, that they have unusually high expectations. I think her books are great! There are several series out there that I don't even bother to read anymore because they have fizzled. Evanovich is a LONG way from that point.
I found "Ten Big Ones" to be hilarious with Lula's and Stephanie's escapades. Evanovich can write dialogue like no one else! Some of the comedy is a little young, but most of it is so funny. Her family just cracks me up! I loved Grandma's involvement in this book!
The ONE area I had trouble with was in the first few pages over Stephanie's car. Has she had more than a few cars wrecked? Yes. But I still think that Lula and Stephanie would not have been so blasé about the situation and would have displayed a LOT more emotion than was indicated.
Morelli and Stephanie seem to be treading water, but this is indicative of many relationships that are exactly like that. Frankly - I just hope that she ends up with Ranger, but doesn't get married yet. But still keep Morelli around trying to get HER back. Ranger is a guy I'd even like to meet!
I am in no hurry to have Stephanie decide on her men. I remember that "the kiss of death" for the show MOONLIGHTING was when Willis and Shephard finally got together. I think readers actually like the suspense.

Miracle (Bilingual)
Miracle (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Kurt Russell
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 5.27
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as Hoosiers..., July 4 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Miracle (Bilingual) (DVD)
"Miracles" starring Kurt Russell is riveting. I saw the original game and although I am not a huge hockey fan, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat. (Even though I KNEW how it would turn out.)
Kurt Russell is brilliant in this movie in such an understated way. He has the accent and mannerisms of Brooks down pat!
The truth was that the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team was so bad (in comparison to the Soviets who were so good because they had professional players) - that none of the other coaches really wanted to take the job. Brooks had something to prove at the Olympics, however.
And yes, this is a "feel-good" movie. It shows our country during a time when everyone banded together to pull for a team that seemingly didn't have a chance. Our country had been enemies with the Soviet Union for 30+ years at that time and we were very angry that the Soviets had invaded Afghanistan. This was MORE than about a hockey game! It was about national pride.
What I liked so much was that it wasn't some story that shows superhuman odds. Rather, it showed incredibly hard work and the adage that Brooks stated to his team, that basically the Soviets were a better team; they could play the Soviets 10 games and the Soviets would certainly win 9 out of the 10 games; but the USA only needed to win ONE GAME against them. This is the story of that one game and the immense dedicatation that led them there.

The House on Bloodhound Lane
The House on Bloodhound Lane
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Woman with an Attitude!, June 15 2004
"The House on Bloodhound Lane," the second in the "Bloodhound series," has confirmed it. Virginia Lanier has just zoomed to the top of "My Favorite Mystery Writers'" list!! (Even better than Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, which is saying a LOT!!)
I can't believe that I have just now discovered Virginia Lanier's great characters! Jo Beth Sidden is a feminist with an attitude and such a wonderful character! I love how she is always trying to improve and "fix" her friends' lives (because her own is so often in such chaos)!
I couldn't put this book down. It has SO many intricate sub-plots and I love the dialogue. It is great to read so much about the dogs as well. I especially liked how Lanier took the readers back to Bobby tracking Mary Ann.
Lanier is such a gifted and intelligent writer to devise methodically the reasoning that spews out of Jo Beth's character.
I've already started "tracking" down the hardback editions of Lanier's books. They are keepers. Other mysteries that I've rated as 5 stars are good, but they don't come close to Lanier's Bloodhound Series! She is THAT GOOD!

Death in Bloodhound Red
Death in Bloodhound Red
by Virginia Lanier
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Series..., June 14 2004
"Death in Bloodhound Red" is the first in the Virginia Lanier "Bloodhound Series." It is a great book and so different from most mysteries that I am surprised that I had not heard of the series before.
This is a series to buy all at once because once you start reading = you will not want to stop.
"Death in Bloodhound Red" is difficult to classify even though it is a mystery. It is not a superficially light book and there are parts that will make you laugh and parts that are very somber.
Jo Beth Sidden raises and trains bloodhounds and utilizes them for tracking in a small county in Georgia. Her life is rather interesting. Her deceased father became a famous artist when she was a teenager, while most of her childhood was spent in dire poverty. Her childhood though, is in many ways very mysterious.
Yet by working continually, Jo Beth has built a kennel and bloodhoumd business. Businesses and law enforcement agencies hire her and her dogs to seek out drugs and criminals.
Jo Beth is rather a tough woman because she has had to be. But she is working at addressing the vulnerabilities in her life and this dialogue is reflected as well. She is a very ardent feminist because she has had to confront countless prejuidices in her life of work.
Virginia Lanier has topped my list for new authors.

Ready to Serve, Ready to Save: Strategies of Real-Life Search and Rescue Missions
by Susan Bulanda
Price: CDN$ 24.76
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

5.0 out of 5 stars As Real As It Gets..., June 4 2004
I found "Ready to Serve, Ready to Save!" to be an invaluable book. Although I have experience in obedience work, I have seriously been considering joining a search and rescue group in the near future.
There are so many tangents to examine before purchasing a dog and training him as a puppy for SAR that I wanted to read about search and rescue missions, without any exaggerations or any glorified accounts, to determine if I had what it takes to get involved in such an undertaking.
I was concerned about some of the reviews, which stated that the book was basically reports of specific missions, because I felt that it would be very boring.
I am so pleased that I ordered this book because I have found the reports to be so honest and interesting. They are anything but dull!
This book takes such a realistic approach to entering search and rescue work. It is such a commitment and you have to often drop everything (even if you have theatre tickets or it is your child's birthday party, etc.) if you are called out with your dog. Many times the searches do not result in finding ANYTHING and much of your time is spent simply training and practicing with your dog.
"Ready to Serve, Ready to Save!" has provided an honest, factual look into search and rescue work. An excellent book!

Pedigree To Die For
Pedigree To Die For
by Laurien Berenson
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars This Series Gets Soooo Much Better...., June 2 2004
I am currently on my 5th book in this series by Laurien Berenson and it has been terrific to witness how far she progresses as a writer with each new book. If you like dogs or especially if you are involved in showing dogs, this is a wonderful series.
Admittedly, "A Pedigree to Die For" started out a little slow in holding my interest. (But read it anyway, because the first few books really give you the "background" on the characters for the really great books later on!)
Melanie Travis is a 30-yr. old special needs teacher who is coping with the demands of raising a 4-yr. old son alone. Her divorced husband is not in the picture and neither are his child support payments!
When Melanie's Uncle Max dies under mysterious circumstances, a new friendship forms with Aunt Peg. The only problem is that the man Melanie suspects the most - Sam Driver, is the man that her Aunt Peg keeps trying to throw her together with!
While Melanie is trying to solve the murder, the reader is educated about the various aspects of dog competitions. I found it to be really inspirational. And no, Melanie does not get involved in showing dogs...yet.
I am so glad that I gave this series a chance!

Persuasion
Persuasion
by Jane Austen
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book of All Time...., May 28 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Persuasion (Mass Market Paperback)
Over the years, I have read "Persuasion" by Jane Austen at LEAST 10 times. Simply put, it is my favorite book. While not everyone holds this novel with the same high esteem that I do, I urge those who have NOT read "Persuasion" to buy it.
This book has meant different things to me at different times in my life. I have often reflected why I find the story so fascinating and believe it is because it so accurately portrays the human spirit and exposes our flaws and strengths with such transparency.
Jane Austen reveals those who are so superficial that they see no goodness or worth other than beauty and wealth (Anne's father and sister); those who are so dependent that they do not listen to their own heart - but instead leave their most important decisions for others to make (Anne herself); and those whose pride has been wounded.
And perhaps what is so captivating, Austen lets the reader vicariously "undo" an error in judgment. This is an excellent and timeless novel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10